MOX in the 5x5

• How on earth do you run mox in the 5x5 reactor? Since it puts out more heat at higher temperature, rather than more eu, you can't balance heat output with heat generated to maintain stable operation. You also can't regulate it with a fixed duty cycle. As soon as it the core temp rises by a single %, the heat output ramps up exponentially to meltdown.

• How on earth do you run mox in the 5x5 reactor? Since it puts out more heat at higher temperature, rather than more eu, you can't balance heat output with heat generated to maintain stable operation. You also can't regulate it with a fixed duty cycle. As soon as it the core temp rises by a single %, the heat output ramps up exponentially to meltdown.

I guess Nuclear Control or some other way of measuring the temperature of the reactor and shutting it off automatically would be the only way... but even that's not without a great deal of risk. You're probably better off using traditional steam-free reactors with MOX. Assuming, of course, that those still work.

If you stare at my avatar hard enough, you'll notice that it consists of three triangular rings, interlocked in such a way that if you were to remove any one of them, the other two would be free to float apart.

• I guess Nuclear Control or some other way of measuring the temperature of the reactor and shutting it off automatically would be the only way... but even that's not without a great deal of risk. You're probably better off using traditional steam-free reactors with MOX. Assuming, of course, that those still work.

i presume with MOX you need ALOT more outputs then before.. you need a stable or semi stable input/output situation ...

personally for me any plutonium will go towards RTG reactors which are more stable imho and with a normal reactor creating them.. will cause the RTG's to output more as i build more. but can put them more dense then say solar!

personally if you can find a stable setup that does not need the nuclear control addon for every 100 hu/t you get 50 eu/t from a sterling generator

I would love to have someone show how the steam turbine setup can be used to make more then that.. since for 400 hu/t i was only getting 200 eu/t and it was more complicted then then sterling generator

• I find that Mox works well for a 5x5 crcs since the hull heat can be set to around 65% then the increased heat the Mox puts out goes into the cells you just make sure you have enough 5x5 cooling reactors to pull heat from the cells into the fluid. I use one reactor for the Mox and cells and six cooling reactors (total average output is around 6000 HU/s

• I would love to have someone show how the steam turbine setup can be used to make more then that.. since for 400 hu/t i was only getting 200 eu/t and it was more complicted then then sterling generator

Then you done something wrong. you can make superheated steam in the steam generator and connect 2 turbines together and add a kinetic generator to every turbine. so you get 300 EU/t with 400 HU/t

• Then you done something wrong. you can make superheated steam in the steam generator and connect 2 turbines together and add a kinetic generator to every turbine. so you get 300 EU/t with 400 HU/t

can you show how thats done in vanilla IC2?

• 400 hU/t, 220bar pressure, 2mB/t water.

the question is.. how do you get the 400 without using pipes from buildcraft? the steam generator has to get heat from a side.. and 4 are used by heat.. 1 by output and 1 for fluid return from condensators so there is no possable way to make it work, 5 possable since the liquid heat exchangers have to be on the reactor and can only output in 5 directions ( strait out and 4 sides)

Am i missing something obscure like the ejector upgrades can be set to a side or is it just not possable with vanilla to get the full power out of a nuclear reactor ( and if so.. why not? Can player step in and give advice please)

• I find that Mox works well for a 5x5 crcs since the hull heat can be set to around 65% then the increased heat the Mox puts out goes into the cells you just make sure you have enough 5x5 cooling reactors to pull heat from the cells into the fluid. I use one reactor for the Mox and cells and six cooling reactors (total average output is around 6000 HU/s

What? What do you mean "set" the temperature? If you let the heat rise to 65% then throw in coolant cells, they will suck the heat back out, causing it to drop and the mox output to drop with it. You're also standing there baby sitting the thing moving coolant cells all over the place.

• Ive tested a few different mox designs now in creative and as it is right now it does not work with single Mark 1 5x5 reactors. However i see some potential for mark 2-5 reactors.

The mox reactors based on advanced heat vents does work when the reactor is at 0 heat. As soon as the heat rises then also does the heat produced. This causes the components to break as they are now able to pull more heat from the mox cores. These designs are not possible to make work with mark 2-5 reactors. Thus there is no gain from making one of these mox designs.

The second type of mox reactor (overclocked vents) does not work at all as a mark 1 reactor. They naturally vary a bit in reactor temp as it puts excess heat from the heat vents is sent back into the core. This makes it unable to stay at 0% heat which makes it completly unstable unless you can control the temperature. The one i used exploded after roughly 30 seconds. However indirect overclocked vent designs work very well for mark 2-5 mox reactors but require some mechanism for controling the temperature in the reactor. (note that direct overclocked heat vent designs such as this http://prntscr.com/4pu6x2 does not work with mark 2-5 5x5 mox reactors for the same reason as the advanced heat vent versions dont work. Excess heat gets pulled into the vents and they are destroyed as the temperature increases)

A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am i or are the other crazy

Edited once, last by Blackpalt ().

• Fluid Regulator?

playing with the setup last night and i could get the level needed i
    think.. it would be risky since you can't get more distilled water in I
    think.. so the boiler could overheat easily..

4 thermal heat surround the steam boiler..

kenetic machines with turbines right after with a condensator at the end.

kenetic
    machines and condinsator have fluid upgrades but make sure you change
    them to have a "side" to go to ( hold the upgrade and right click it on
    the side of a block where you want it to go ( north south east west up
    down)

with the condensator running I was able to get a test
    system up to 205 heat 1 mb/t and 230 presure to get superheated steam ( 3
    liquid exchangers) this was unstable for a nuke since i don't know of a
    config that gives a XX5 output ( IE if it was 405 output stable then i
    could have 2 sterling and output them seperatly )

if anyone know
    of a stable non fluctuating system that has a mark 1 XX5 output it
    could work with 3 liquid exchangers and superheated steam giving a space
    to put in new distilled water for safer running

( cross posting this to the nuke thread /mox thread as well)

first pic is the boiler settings

second pic has 3 thermal generators just with creative hot cooling fluid cans placed in them.

• I am currently trying this system on experimental 645, it's not running MOX atm, but that's what it's been built for(soon master! Soon....)
    I can set an upper and lower temperature and it'll cycle between those till it runs out of fuel eventually.
    If needed I can prime the temp by adding some extra rods in the beginning to get the MOX up to temp.

The reactor is just filled with Reactor Heat Vents, it's not the most resource efficient system I'm sure, but it produces a steady 400Hu/s, no fluctuations at all(40 RHVs).
    I could probably fit a few more in there, but I'm running two steam generators, which takes a total of 400Hu, so it's good enough.

The only thing that worries me is the stability of the Remote Temperature Sensors, I had some issues earlier where they would stop working and the server log complaining about some mismatch in the E-Net(which I can't for the life of me find any trace of in the log files atm), if that happens we might have a boom happening(which is why the reactor is clad in three layers of reinforced stone(went quite a bit of iron there I might add...) and I added a remote sensor sensing if the reactor is on or not(triggers on temp 1), if that one drops out the reactor shuts down).

(Gates are, from left to right, NOT, RS Latch and AND), output goes to the reactor redstone port.
    -
    Kolbjorn

• For those people trying to make a mox reactor mark 2-5 i made a very nice reactor design to work with. Im currently making some tests on it in creative. Il'e probably post some more about it once iv'e got my control system up and running.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…pbcurq980tcmzfs7pujc8faps

If you want a more easily controlled reactor you can easily switch out 1 or 2 of the quad cores for dual cores and it will still work just as well. It will be less fuel efficient but the cycle time will increase a lot.

Ive tested it in creative and it works out really well if you have a control system that makes sure that the temperature does not reach to high temperature. I made it so it pulls an even 1000 Hu from the reactor core which makes it possible to produce either 500 mb of superheated steam for 750 eu/tick or 500 with stirling.

The efficiency of the design is extrordinary. even at 0 reactor heat it produces 960*2 heating units which amounts to 960 eu/tick of fuel with stirling or 1440 eu/tick of fuel with superheated steam. The heat produced also increases by A LOT as the hull temperature increases. I'm not 100% sure but i think the increase in HU is linear with the reactor hull temperature (0% is default and 100% is times 5). If the heat increases linearly it would mean it would produce 0,55*960*2=4800 Hu at 50% hull temperature. with superheated steam that is an efficiency of 4800*0,75/8/5= 90!

Also unlike regular cycled reactors this one produces power at a stable rate as it is always pulling heat from the reactor even when it is turned off. The only downside is that it produces "only" 500-750 eu/tick. However the mox fuel rods would last for a very very long time before they are consumed. if average is 50% heat it would be 4800Hu/1000 or 4,8 times it's regular lifetime.

Overall i think this shows some great potential for mox in the 5x5

Edit: for a stirling setup i would probably use something like this
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…lpn190uditwrwrksho009vr40

Update: Ive tested the first reactor now and it works very well with some easy automisation from nuclear control.

http://prntscr.com/4qga7x

I'm using a not gate and a nor gate, with a remote thermometer and a lever. The reactor shuts of both if the lever is deactivated and if the temperature goes over 21000 (65%) the temperature varies between 64% and 78%. It is producing a constant 1000 Hu/s and has been working stable for some time now.

60 seconds of fuel tics took a whole 5 minute and 28 seconds. which amounts to about 5,5 times more than its normal duration or 5500 Hu per fuel tick. This reactor has an efficiency of about 103,125 and would produce 825 million eu per cycle

Edited 4 times, last by Blackpalt ().

• Official Post

Guys, new IC2 build changed something about MOX in the 5x5. Not sure what though. Someone should probably test it.

I asked Thunderdark on IRC, and he gave an in-depth response:

[15:37:40] <Chocohead> OMG Build 647
    [15:46:47] <Chocohead> Wonder what Thunderdark did to MOX fuels...
    [15:59:19] <+Thunderdark> Chocohead i make easyer to controll

So there's a start.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• I havent done a pure ic2 setup yet as i can't fit it in my reactor room, i would have to rebuild the whole reactor room and most of the reactor components. The components that are problematic should not be affected as the only thing they do is remove distilled water from the kinetic steam generators and put it back into the steam generator. The thing i could do is change whats moving around the fluids between the kinetic steam turbines and condenser, however i doubt that will effect the steam generator.

Also my reactor can't be run with a pure ic2 setup as i don't think they add any way to prioritize where the hot coolant goes. I dont have an even heat production which means the hot coolant have to prioritize the steam cycles before the stirling cycles. With the current setup it sends the first 1200 heat to the liquid heat exchangers responsible for the steam first and the remaining uneven amount that varies a bit is sent to the stirling generators as it doesn't matter if they don't have a constant production.

I might test it in creative mode and see if i can reach stable operation there thought. Don't want to build another reactor that might not work like i want it to as iv'e built 3 already which is a lot of work in survival :P.

• I havent done a pure ic2 setup yet as i can't fit it in my reactor room, i would have to rebuild the whole reactor room and most of the reactor components. The components that are problematic should not be affected as the only thing they do is remove distilled water from the kinetic steam generators and put it back into the steam generator. The thing i could do is change whats moving around the fluids between the kinetic steam turbines and condenser, however i doubt that will effect the steam generator.

Also my reactor can't be run with a pure ic2 setup as i don't think they add any way to prioritize where the hot coolant goes. I dont have an even heat production which means the hot coolant have to prioritize the steam cycles before the stirling cycles. With the current setup it sends the first 1200 heat to the liquid heat exchangers responsible for the steam first and the remaining uneven amount that varies a bit is sent to the stirling generators as it doesn't matter if they don't have a constant production.

I might test it in creative mode and see if i can reach stable operation there thought. Don't want to build another reactor that might not work like i want it to as iv'e built 3 already which is a lot of work in survival :P.

the uneven deal is a issue.. the only option i can think of requires some hopper setup that can keep one thing full but overflow extras to another spot..

electronic sorters and item buffers just can't and WONT do that.. they can buffer for a bit.. my idea would be using a canning machine to pump out the hot coolant and a fluid regulator pump in the coolant after use..
    your buffer is only as large as the ammount of coolant you can make and cans ( idea is to use cans to move hot coolant and fluid regulators to move the cold)

if there was a way of having overflow to a secondary output ( i am sure there is a hopper setup that could do this just don't know how and not ready to search tonight ) then you just make sure the fluid options you want full are first.. then the stirlings are second and everything sorts back!