microsoft buys minecraft

• i recommend snap-shotting minecraft and your portfolio of mods, in case MS does something evil stupid and mods go underground or become non-existent.

• Well,the devs select what do with their modder lives,however,one of the most important member of forge says goodbye to modding,he is cpw,without him we probably doesn't have forge 1.7 yet,so....now without him...forge 1.8 will require a lot of time to happen....

• I don't think much will change. I hate MS, and don't blame CPW for leaving, but the people whining about this deal really need to reevaluate their thinking. Mods aren't going to die. Viruses won't eat your computer. Bill Gates won't come to your house and rape your children while Nadella and Balmer watch. Everyone keep calm and play on.

• I don't think much will change. I hate MS, and don't blame CPW for leaving, but the people whining about this deal really need to reevaluate their thinking. Mods aren't going to die. Viruses won't eat your computer. Bill Gates won't come to your house and rape your children while Nadella and Balmer watch. Everyone keep calm and play on.

No, bill is old.

• This is intentionally a joke, don't take this seriously

"Mods are only available for Xbox and Windows devices, all other versions of the game will not be able to run mods"... I hope that doesn't happen.

As for Microsoft itself. Most of the games they have, I don't care about and the games I do care about are multi console. My big issue with them is Xbox Live and how hostile it is (and needing to pay for it on top of internet usage...).

• Official Post

Microsoft would fuck up everything if they would do the "PC/Xbox exclusive" shit to Minecraft, or if they would try to port it to non-Java Languages. But they said that they will keep Crossplatform Support as it is now, and that is only possible using Java, since it would otherwise for sure kill the Unix Support and probably also the Apple Support, to switch away from Java.

I bet they just take over all the merchandise Stuff, since Minecraft Accounts aren't that profitable compared to it (I mean on the long run it won't make the 2.500.000.000 back by itself), and also help Mojang with their "MS-Lawyers" in case shit happens. Otherwise aside from some people leaving, everything will probably stay as it is.

• Microsoft would fuck up everything if they would do the "PC/Xbox exclusive" shit to Minecraft, or if they would try to port it to non-Java Languages. But they said that they will keep Crossplatform Support as it is now, and that is only possible using Java, since it would otherwise for sure kill the Unix Support and probably also the Apple Support, to switch away from Java.

I bet they just take over all the merchandise Stuff, since Minecraft Accounts aren't that profitable compared to it (I mean on the long run it won't make the 2.500.000.000 back by itself), and also help Mojang with their "MS-Lawyers" in case shit happens. Otherwise aside from some people leaving, everything will probably stay as it is.

More than just a few left now. Well, hope it's just probably.

Why do you guys hate Microsoft? Better them than most other companies...

Hmm, here's a few reasons, I hate corporations more than I hate humans itself. It narrows the game systems it's compatible for; making it an extreme nuisance to a gamer like me. Microsoft has been lately making games only to gain profit, not caring about good game-play and story-line, making the game an abomination. Which was almost if not the opposite intention of Notch himself.
    I do have money on Minecraft's rating will come crashing down once Microsoft completely takes over.

• There's no way Microsoft will get that 2.5 billions out of Minecraft as it is now. Even if they'd push Merchandise to Star Wars levels, 2.5 billions are just too much to make out of a game that has already sold 16 Millions copies, and that isn't even taking the fact that they'll obviously want to make some profit as well. They'll have to screw up something to get that money back. Likely there'll be DLC. Possibly Minecraft 2(<Put in odd pun about e=mc² in here>) or, in the worst case, microtransactions.

• Why do you guys hate Microsoft? Better them than most other companies...

Make two lists of things MS has bought:
    1) things they didn't screw up
    2) things they screwed up

What list is bigger?
    Is there *anything* in the first list?

I wouldn't be surprised if modded-MC follows the path of Flowerchild (heh) and picks a relatively recent version of MC and just keeps building stuff on that instead of trying to keep up with the latest versions. Forge-like things have made massive changes to MC internals, I'd be surprised if they couldn't be able to implement pretty much anything needed for it to keep evolving.

[edit]

One way for MS to make money out of MC is if when the MC realms becomes popular.

• They didn't screw up Halo CE. They gave DLc for free, they allowed and even promoted modding. They have their ups and downs. Let's just wait and see where it takes us. Nothing we say here is gonna change anything anyway.

Now you see me, now you don't...

• Halo succeeds mainly for being massively advertised and for often being (one of) the first FPS games whenever new XB version comes out. As a FPS it's mediocre at best.
    As for modding, just look at what they did with the series after CE. Last PC port is two generations behind XB and even that one was massively delayed compared to XB version.

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd do similarly with MC:
    give more or less decent support for the current version including free updates and ports to all sorts of systems
    Make MC 2.0, have it be XB (timed) exclusive, community modding, if existent at all, will be similar to XBLA with paid content and majority of the income going to MS.

Microsoft has been *very* active trying to not support PC gaming since the first XB. I wouldn't be surprised if they saw MC as a potential killer-app (francise) for XB when they cut support for other platforms.

• Doesn't Minecraft *already* have more Xbox sales than PC? If anything, they'd be focusing on getting it on Windows Phone. Making it Xbox exclusive after all this time is suicide.

• Suicide how/why exactly? As you said, there are a lot of customers on XB and MC is just the kind of game that could very well be the key for many people for choosing what gaming platform to invest in.

• Suicide to us I guess, since the Xbox is nigh unmoddable. But if MS are smart about it, they could use that as the selling point of the PC version and then put more work into the console/mobile versions. That is actually rather likely, and would be good since it would give stable version for modders to update on and also bring the console/mobile versions back up to scratch with the current PC content. Searge did confirm that MCP will be continuing, and also the modding API will still be a thing, soon(tm)

• Official Post

Let's see it like that: What happens if Microsoft fucks this up? I mean if it fucks up the greatest Game in History? What a reputation would Microsoft get if the largest Game Community of all time hates them?

I think they know what happens then and try to not fuck it up and leave it as is.