IC2 Experimental Reactor Planner

• a request:
    don't use EU/t unless it somehow translates to hu/t and i am missing it
    Average HU/t over the life of the reactor cells.. AND min/max

currently trying to plan out a reactor and don't know how much hu/t it can put out average.. it jumps ALOT sometime s a 120 point jump on my creative world and i would love to be able to play with it to know more.

also a idea is have it do a live update.. IE keep tract of the reactor as you put in and remove parts to see how it reacts?

• EU/t is the normal reactor output that I'm used to from older builds of IC2 experimental, and what it shows in the reactor interface when it's connected to electrical cables (or maybe just when it doesn't have an item/block to make it output other forms of energy), so I don't intend to remove it from my planner. I'm willing to consider adding a display of HU/t output, but I haven't actually looked into how to make it output HU/t (and why - iirc a blast furnace only needs 1 HU/t to maintain operation, so using a nuclear reactor to heat one directly would be overkill, but I'm guessing there are other uses for heat output), so if you could link me an explanation of how that works, that would help.

I'll go ahead and add live-updating when I have time.

• EU/t is the normal reactor output that I'm used to from older builds of IC2 experimental, and what it shows in the reactor interface when it's connected to electrical cables (or maybe just when it doesn't have an item/block to make it output other forms of energy), so I don't intend to remove it from my planner. I'm willing to consider adding a display of HU/t output, but I haven't actually looked into how to make it output HU/t (and why - iirc a blast furnace only needs 1 HU/t to maintain operation, so using a nuclear reactor to heat one directly would be overkill, but I'm guessing there are other uses for heat output), so if you could link me an explanation of how that works, that would help.

I'll go ahead and add live-updating when I have time.

current modern reactor uses fluid.

heat the fluid HU/t and a fluid port outputs it to a thermal exchanger which can be used to heat a steam boiler and then turn a turbine or it can be used in a stierling genreator directly.

steam turbines are more efficient but require 200 hu/t to run

i had a post a week ago with a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?…=UUD23W0UlDLyLXFMUsKohIkw

shows you how to setup but i make mistakes as i go and fix later on!

• Official Post

Reactors still do EU too though.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• I'm sorry, but I don't have the patience to watch a 54-minute tutorial video. I found some other posts and figured out how to make it output in Hu/s instead of EU/t (though I haven't quite figured out how to make the fluid port work so I can use an LHE and Stirling Generator), and as far as I can tell the Hu/s output is simply double the amount of heat dissipated by vents, but complications like heat exchangers can cause that value to fluctuate.

Now in v1.1 I've added automatic simulation as components are added and removed, a "Clear Grid" button, details of heat output, and a code field to make it easier to share reactor designs.

I wanted to also allow pasting codes/urls from the old reactor planner, but those seem to be encrypted.

• I'm sorry, but I don't have the patience to watch a 54-minute tutorial video. I found some other posts and figured out how to make it output in Hu/s instead of EU/t (though I haven't quite figured out how to make the fluid port work so I can use an LHE and Stirling Generator), and as far as I can tell the Hu/s output is simply double the amount of heat dissipated by vents, but complications like heat exchangers can cause that value to fluctuate.

Now in v1.1 I've added automatic simulation as components are added and removed, a "Clear Grid" button, details of heat output, and a code field to make it easier to share reactor designs.

I wanted to also allow pasting codes/urls from the old reactor planner, but those seem to be encrypted.

not encrypted just a hash of some type.. you just have to reverse enginere it some :/

your right on the hu/t to eu/t i think its the flux that happens.. where it will be X hu/t for 20 seconds then Y hu/t for 20 seconds on some .. to know min/max ( would love to have a way to setup rules for fluids like a item sorter)

000000000B000000000C0A0A0C0B0C0A0A0C0A01010A0B0A01010A0A01010A0B0A01010A0C0A0A0C0B0C0A0A0C00000B010B010B0000
    using your design tool this is the 400 HU/t reactor

0303170C0D110D0C1703170C0D0C0D0C0D0C170C0D0C0D140D110D170D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D140D140D140D140D170D0C0D1717171717
    this
    one is the 1120 one but i am worried it wont be stable long term (
    seems to be but has start up issues that i don't know how they are
    happening or how i smoothed it out) ( this is in the creative world i am
    using)

it could do with a "refresh" button or to find out why its not always updating/giving full details.. ( notice this on load/part change somtimes )

Its a good tool so far and i offer MUCH MUCH praise since i know i could not do anything like this!!! congratz!

• Mementh, when you have time I'd like to see you do a Version II of your reactor walkthrough. It would be interesting to see you tackle the same topic but with your improved knowledge, and a bit more preparation.

Set a goal for yourself to get it done in < 15 minutes if you think you can be that concise.

I think "tutorial" is the wrong word for these types of videos. There's a lot of pioneering going on here, and people have to either be a bit more patient as the details are spooned out, or deal with lack of info.

• it could do with a "refresh" button or to find out why its not always updating/giving full details.. ( notice this on load/part change somtimes )

I figured out part of why that happens: the simulator was waiting for the reactor heat and total component heat to stabilize (i.e. remain the same as the previous tick), but with your second design, the total component heat fluctuated between 2 and 5 on different ticks - no clue why that happens, though. When I tried refreshing the simulation (initially by removing a plate and adding it back, then by using the refresh button once I'd added it), the cooldown time was different for each run, and possibly sometimes it never stabilized. Now the simulator waits until both have stopped decreasing, and the results are much more consistent.

• Could you change the resources section to not show the cost for the reactor? That doesn't seem like a good decision, especially since it's sort of the standard not to include, since it's a given that you have a max size reactor >.>

• If you meant that my planner didn't allow smaller reactors, technically it did - it would check how many of the rightmost columns were empty, and adjust the materials for the reactor accordingly. If you meant that nobody bothers building smaller reactors anymore, you might be right. I mainly just included that because the old planner included reactor body cost, but I've removed it now.

• Mementh, when you have time I'd like to see you do a Version II of your reactor walkthrough. It would be interesting to see you tackle the same topic but with your improved knowledge, and a bit more preparation.

Set a goal for yourself to get it done in < 15 minutes if you think you can be that concise.

I think "tutorial" is the wrong word for these types of videos. There's a lot of pioneering going on here, and people have to either be a bit more patient as the details are spooned out, or deal with lack of info.

that is a goal.. i would have to setup the part list ahead of time but this time i know what parts are needed to make the reactor work

• not encrypted just a hash of some type.. you just have to reverse enginere it some :/

I did, but it's too complicated to use without permission from an apparently closed-source program - Talonius's post about it doesn't include a source link or even specify the licensing as far as I can tell :( , and Talonius hasn't posted here in almost two years, so I wouldn't expect to get a response if I sent a PM asking for permission. There's also the small issue of what to do about reactor components from that planner that no longer exist in the latest version of IC2, like the heating cell and I think the depleted isotope cell.

Any other feedback on my planner?