IC2 Experimental Reactor Planner

• I feel like you should change the data region around. It is difficult to read headings and values when it is all stored in a text box.
    It would be better if that part was a little bit more like the old one with headings that have their own spot in the GUI.
    You should also add stats like max temp, melting temp, etc.

If you are feeling really ambitious, add a liquid coolant feature for the 5x5 reactor design. Though this probably isn't necessary because who doesn't keep the reactor's coolant full all the time.

Also, thanks so much for this! I was almost thinking of doing this but I have little experience in Java so that stopped me.

• I'm not sure quite what you mean by "headings that have their own spot in the GUI" - I put the results in a text area so they could easily be copied and pasted into a forum post.

I can probably add the temperatures for the different environmental effects, though.

I'd like to add handling for the coolant in the 5x5x5 reactor design, but I don't understand it well enough. In mementh's video, he set something up to feed some of the hot coolant back into the reactor (not just the coolant that's had its heat removed by LHEs), which thoroughly confused me.

I've also questioned the value of the whole concept of the 5x5x5 reactor, since mementh's design takes over 4 times the lead as a 6-chamber EU-style reactor, it's insanely complicated to set up, and it produces less than double the EU of the highest-output 6-chamber reactor listed at [Official] New Reactors design thread.

• I've put up a new version of this that does a better job of complying with the Swing threading policy.

Neglecting to do so was causing more problems than I'd anticipated, such as erratic results when simulating the design mentioned in the following thread, even on my own computer: 5^3 (fluid) reactor issue: Keeps overheating when Reactor Planner says it shouldn't

That thread also revealed that the fluid reactor is sensitive to things outside the reactor, such as Stirling generators filling up their buffers. Things like that would be very impractical to simulate in my planner, so I'd say it's always a good idea to test setups in local creative mode first.

Strangely, none of the designs from the first post of [Official] New Reactors design thread. triggered the erratic results on my computer with the old build, though other computers might have been more susceptible to it. Interestingly, my planner says the "Mid power low running cost" design from that thread will overheat at 1040 seconds even though the old planner says it's stable. I just checked in creative mode, and the overclocked heat vents in the lower right broke as my planner predicted (followed by a rapid rise in core temp, at which point I switched it off instead of waiting for it to explode), though slightly earlier and in a different sequence than predicted, so there are probably still some minor bugs left.

• Official Post

Is there actually a compiled build anymore, or do I have to work out how to compile the source off Github?

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Is there actually a compiled build anymore, or do I have to work out how to compile the source off Github?

Sorry, I hadn't noticed it until now, but the release date is messed up (probably because I forgot to sync the source files until after the release). However, the jar for v1.2.6 has the changes I mentioned.

• Feature request: display the cooling system's total heat removal per second capacity and the fuel rod's total heat per second generation as separate values. And display the performance data at all times, regardless of whether or not the design is valid.

Talonius' planner showed these separately, and I always made extensive use of the feature because it allowed me to "design by proxy". I could for example just experiment with different fuel rod configurations to find out one that most closely produces a very specific heat value. Or design cooling systems without fuel rods inserted so you are not space constrained, and just see how high you can push it. It also lets you figure out very quickly what the individual performance of each part is without having the wiki open in the background (and still remain unsure because the wiki is outdated in many places).

Right now, in your planner I can only see some data if I make a design that completes a full cycle, and then less than I like. If the design does not complete a full cycle, it won't show me any data at all. That way, I am often left guessing as to what I actually need to do to make it valid. How many extra points of cooling capacity do I actually need? Or if a design is valid, how many points of excess cooling does it have, that I might get rid of by removing parts for a cheaper build? I can't tell if it's one point or a hundred.

Basically, the more numbers you show at all times, the better! :P

• Chocohead has already posted a GitHub issue about those things, and some more, which I hope to be able to address soon. However, one part of your request could be a problem: heat per second from the fuel rods is not constant when using MOX in a fluid reactor - it depends on the reactor heat.

• Yeah, Talonius' planner didn't show that properly either, because it never updated to this new heat-based MOX system. But I'd be fine with seeing the base heat.

• Official Post

Talonius's flat out didn't update. He disappeared before experimental.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• I discovered a serious bug regarding the condensators: I had somehow failed to notice before that they can accept heat but not release heat (to component heat vents, exchangers, etc.), so my planner doesn't simulate them properly at the moment. However, I'm not sure the old planner handled them correctly either. Consider this design: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…811iqu4su2k657f0r2dg4jmdc

That shows two of them as having absorbed 13 million heat. Did the condensators get nerfed sometime after the old planner was last updated, or is it assuming I'd have something set up to exchange the condensators once they can't absorb any more heat?

• Official Post

They were always designed to absorb heat, but not release it. You had to take them out of a reactor, then cool them down using either reredstone or lapis (normally produced from UU powered by the reactor). If they transfered heat then that'd break the balance of them.

I see this too much.

• That doesn't explain why the old planner seems to show them as being able to absorb over 13 million heat each.

Anyway, I've released v1.3 of my planner, which includes the features you requested and a fix to the condensator bug I discovered while adding those features.