Reactor Output Limited

• Hi All,

I'm doing some testing with a high output reactor for which you can find the reactor planner code at the end of the post. This reactor should be outputting 3,280 eu/t according to both the planner and the reactor interface but no matter what I try (multiple cables, transformers, etc) it won't output over 2,048 eu/t. I'm basing this number off of running the reactor for 10 seconds then dividing the amount of power stored in a couple of MFSUs.

Any help with this would be great as I'd like to keep messing around with this layout and actually getting the full output.

MC: 1.10.2

Forge: 12.18.3.2422

IC2: 2.6.252-ex110

Mod Pack: Age of Engineering 1.1.1c

Reactor Layout: 190303190303190319190303190303190319190303190303190319190303190303190319190303190303190319190303190303190319

Edited once, last by BiohazardStuff ().

• Did you use the EU-Meter on the MFSU to check what actually is put in per tick? Try connecting all cables to the same MFSU. You will need at least 2 glass fibre cables connected to it. Also Im not sure if you are aware of it but this reactor will blow up after 2,5 minutes.

• I just did some more testing based off your suggestion with two glass cables going from the reactor to independent sides of an MFSU. That gave me the following results in the EU-Reader when using EnergyIn mode on the MFSU and the same for EnergyOut mode on the reactor itself. Also in regards to exploding after 2.5 minutes if you tick the 'Use Reactor Coolant Injectors' option in the reactor planner it is able to run full cycles perfectly fine.

e1d3ba2b2c.png

• If you post a screenshot of your setup I can try to help better :) the Eu Meter confirms you're only getting 2,048 EU into it. How many cables are coming from the reactor?

• Here's a screenshot of the setup. Two completely separate cables going from the reactor to the MFSU which has the output pointing up. On the bottom is a 'Reactor Coolant Injector (LZH)' which has its own dedicated power source and there's nothing on the back except a RFTools Redstone Receiver for remote control.

6b97d0d666.png

• Oh, nice find! I didn't manage to find that one when initially searching to see if anyone else was having this problem.

Thanks for the help on this one.

• Official Post

It's probably a similar problem to Advanced Solars had, or any generator that outputs more than it's tier for that matter. When you attach more cables it splits the output between them rather than increasing the over all through-put, so it will only be able to output as much power as the tier allows. Fundamentally the design is too powerful for an EU reactor, and I suppose as a result pushes you to use a fluid reactor to be able to get the full benefit of the design.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• It's probably a similar problem to Advanced Solars had, or any generator that outputs more than it's tier for that matter. When you attach more cables it splits the output between them rather than increasing the over all through-put, so it will only be able to output as much power as the tier allows. Fundamentally the design is too powerful for an EU reactor, and I suppose as a result pushes you to use a fluid reactor to be able to get the full benefit of the design.

While this does make sense that you'd be wanting to use fluid reactors for high output reactors doesn't that make the LZH Condensators pretty much useless?

Either way, I'd be up for playing around with fluid reactors if there were any decent high output designs. Any ideas on if it would be possible to make a high output EU reactor design like the one below work in a fluid reactor?

060619060606190623190606061906060623060619060606061906190606060619060606060606190606060619061906062306190606

• Official Post

The highest output reactor I've seen for Fluid is about 1370 heat -> 1027 EU per tick through steam generation.

You can make a 1040 or better MOX EU reactor that will run without replacing parts, or you can make a 4260 EU reactor and replace parts, as you've shown.

I've tried to run your reactor in a fluid setup, and no heat was transferred. So yeah, that doesn't work.

I have come to the conclusion Fluid Reactors have not the same level of detail as EU, and therefore lose the flexibility to make some astounding reactors. It's a pity, because you would expect all of the extra machinery would allow Fluid to be king.

• Official Post

Suggestions to give the same level of flexibility to Fluid reactors:

1. Allow heat taken by condensators to be transferred to coolant. Possible limitation of 10,000 mB/t coolant transfer due to internal storage limitation, but that is still less than the 8520 HU/t that the condensator reactor above should have. The idea is these parts would still not "repair" heat.

MOX reactors... Can net cooling AND heat generation be modified? For example, can overclocked vents pull 40 heat and dump 32 when MOX power happens? Otherwise, MOX reactors have the same limit as regular reactors, about 1370 cooling Max from space limitation. EU reactors effectively proportion their cooling to the MOX scale, Fluid reactors don't.

Alternately, could the "MOX LIMIT" trigger just a net 2x heat to be transferred? So a MOX fluid reactor would internally create as much heat, but it would transfer 2x the amount to coolant. Again, this allows MOX to bypass the 1370 limit that exists on all fluid reactors.

Alternately, a "MOX Block" could allow additional space in the reactor for more heat transfer, or allow additional direct EU, or additional direct HU.

• You could do what I am doing and use Extreme reactors turbines to generate Energy, need to convert it back to EU. I am getting 10.000 EU/t with a non-optimized design (that can be adjusted in the config, I left it untouched). Fluid reactors in IC2 only are not creating that much energy if you want them to be easily maintained and automated.