Question about Miners

• So, Miners are pretty power hungry, even with just an OD scanner. With an OV scanner they become quite a bit more power hungry.
    Unless I'm wrong they only accept LV input (32EU/t max).
    How do you guys wire them up to keep them juiced up while mining away, be it with an OD or OV scanner? As it is I'm ending up having to play hotswap with batteries.

• You have to use an MFE, and a low voltage transformer. it takes T2 levels of power to run, even though it takes only T1 power before exploding. I personally think this is an issue.

• I am using about 20 solar panels because it's far too much of an effort to move the single chambered 20EU/s nuclear reactor every few minutes.

• empirical measure with EC reader show about 16EU/t with diamond drill and OV scanner. and take ~500000 EU to mine one 64 long hole with diamond drill and OV scanner. it was measured with 3x3 grid of miners and averaged.

• I place a 32 cell solar flower with 2-3 serial batboxes in the center of my mining area and then go do other stuff while the OV(9x9)/diamond drill powered miner does its thing. I don't worry too much about it stalling.

It is not like there is a spin up delay between when power is added and when it is used.

• 3 solar panels and a batbox are enough for a miner with a mining drill and OD scanner (I build this setup during the night, then it starts running during the day and it saves enough energy to also run during the next night).

• I ended up just carrying 32 panels with me and wiring them up wherever I plant the miner.

Panel tree (glass cables) -> batbox -> miner.

• You have to use an MFE, and a low voltage transformer. it takes T2 levels of power to run, even though it takes only T1 power before exploding. I personally think this is an issue.

This is what I do, and just bring some energy crystals to charge the MFE obviously, if you place it right it only takes up 3 blocks total (+one extra for the chest by the miner). I also agree with the idea of making it accept MV power.

• I've switched to MFSU with MV and LV converters and a single lapotron crystal, far less effort now that I've got the resources to support it, no need for colored cables or any cables for that matter.

• I've built a mining ship with the zeppelin mod.
    It has 4 miners with OV scanners and diamond drills, 4 pumps, a MFSU, some batboxes and some generators/solar panels.
    When I've finished mining in one spot I just fly the ship to the next position ... to mine where no man has mined before ;)

The maximum power output of my generators/panels is 90 EU/t which is less than my miners are draining. Some miners take longer than others, so while some are pausing my MFSU recharges.
    Each miner has its own batbox which is constantly full so I guess those miners are never draining more than 32 EU/t since they can run without interruption.

• Tanaris: That sounds awesome. Looking at the Zepplin's thread it seems like I would need to mess around with the config files of it to get it to recognize the IC blocks. Did you have to do that?

• So, Miners are pretty power hungry, even with just an OD scanner. With an OV scanner they become quite a bit more power hungry.
    Unless I'm wrong they only accept LV input (32EU/t max).
    How do you guys wire them up to keep them juiced up while mining away, be it with an OD or OV scanner? As it is I'm ending up having to play hotswap with batteries.

haven't built a miner since 1.0 and the will mine bedrock bug.
    Lately i've been using BC quarries, sure it makes a huge hole and mines a lot of useless cobble but that's just more fodder for the recyclers :)
    any ores get dumped into a chest. Haven't ran a quarry since I built the processing station to handle nearly everything I need to do. (two chests and a few teleport pipes under my shack to somewhere ~40 blocks away underground near my power source)

• Tanaris: That sounds awesome. Looking at the Zepplin's thread it seems like I would need to mess around with the config files of it to get it to recognize the IC blocks. Did you have to do that?

You only have to define blocks, that are excluded from the craft and you don't want to exclude the IC blocks. I've only increased the maximum size of the crafts, apart from that my config file is plain default. At the moment IC's blocks won't work during flight, so once you reach your target position right click the controller block and the craft will rejoin the world. I've read that with the next version IC machines should even work during flight.

• Taranis, that is one cool idea. Your own mobile drilling gantry... I can see putting one together using the buildcraft oil wells and teleport pipes. I now have something to do once the filler is done building my castle out of stone bricks.

Oh, about the quarries, I like putting them over water so the lava they hit turns to obsidian...

• Taranis, that is one cool idea. Your own mobile drilling gantry... I can see putting one together using the buildcraft oil wells and teleport pipes. I now have something to do once the filler is done building my castle out of stone bricks.

Oh, about the quarries, I like putting them over water so the lava they hit turns to obsidian...

At the moment there is a bug in the zeppelin mod: If you put red power wires or buildcraft pipes on your craft minecraft will crash.

• hmm... He just released .17 with this note:

Many other mod blocks will maintain state now, but are non-interactable.

I wonder if it still crashes.