[AddOn v1.23] Energy Coupler v0.21.1 - Convert EUs <-> BuildCraft Energy

• Official Post

Finally there's an implementation for this :)

A few suggestions from myself:
    - Using an energy conversion ratio of 1 is unbalanced. If we use coal as a measure for energy, you'll have to supply 0.4 BC2 energy per IC2 EU. A IC2 generator produces 4k EU out of 1 coal, a BC2 stone engine produces 1600 energy.
    - wrap the whole updateEntity() content in Platform.isSimulating(), the non-simulating environment (= smp client) should do effects only.
    - port it to use the IC2 API only instead of internal classes
    - add a GUI to see what it's doing
    - create a reverse direction converter which accepts energy from engines or conductive pipes and outputs to the IC2 EnergyNet
    - the sprites aren't very suitable, I'm sure somebody can contribute better ones

- Using an energy conversion ratio of 1 is unbalanced. If we use coal as a measure for energy, you'll have to supply 0.4 BC2 energy per IC2 EU. A IC2 generator produces 4k EU out of 1 coal, a BC2 stone engine produces 1600 energy.

Yeah.. kinda agree there... but the safest work-a-round would be to just use the Eu/fueltime conversion factor to reduce the level of output that this has.

For instance, for coal: (4/1.6) = 2.5

So it would be 2.5 EU's per 1 BC unit of energy (well, 'work', I should say since it's slightly mechanical)... That way it's balanced around all forms of already outputting energy...

Edit: Anybody else think it's ironic that this 'oil balance' situation is similar to the fossil fuel/renewable energy situation in real life? Humorous if you ask me, lol...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Official Post

Nice Work McFistyBuns -- I too have been waiting on something like this.

Let me know when you feel its 'stable' enough, and I'll be happy to do a Youtube Mod Spotlight for you. Just say when :D.

Like others in the thread, I'd love to see this work 'both ways' -- simply so I could generate energy with steam engines, use teleport pipes to move it elsewhere, store it in an MFSU, and convert it back into BC energy for powering a quarry. Excessive? Perhaps :) but it'd be a fun build!!

• i have a nice bug for you

i get this when i try to place the block

• It may be because you are using BuildCraft 2.2.1. I've compiled the mod against BuildCraft 2.2.2. Try upgrading your BuildCraft

• Ok, I've updated it to use a 2.5EU to 1 BC Energy Unit. The problem, however, is there's going to be some loss somewhere because everything works in Integers. So the compromise I've made is that I've gone with a half rounded down. So now a LV coupler would take 32 EUs and convert it to 13 BC Energy Units (32/2.5 = 12.8 rounded up to 13). I think that may be the closest we can get, unless someone has another suggestion.

Also, as per Player's suggestion, I've wrapped everything in updateEntity in Platform.isSimulating(). I'm not quite sure I understand it, but from what I can gather that means SMP compatibility?

• Awesome mod man!
    Just to let you know though, my friend has a server, and he isn't sure about the 2.5:1 energy ratio.
    Is there any chance you could eventually add in a config file that allows us to change the ratio to what we like? Cuz each server is a bit different.
    Maybe worry about this after SMP gets going, but I greatly appreciate it if we could get a config file.

• Awesome mod man!
    Just to let you know though, my friend has a server, and he isn't sure about the 2.5:1 energy ratio.
    Is there any chance you could eventually add in a config file that allows us to change the ratio to what we like? Cuz each server is a bit different.
    Maybe worry about this after SMP gets going, but I greatly appreciate it if we could get a config file.

I like this idea also.

• This crashes the game whenever I try to place one of the energy couplers. I am running IC2 1.15, BC 2.2.2, as well as SPC, TMI, and the IC2 Advanced Machines addon. I cant get a crash log because the game doesnt show one when it crashes.
    EDIT: Got it working, turns out i was running BC 2.2.1 instead of 2.2.2 :P
    Sweet mod. thanks

• OP, when the word "sexy" was created, they had you in mind. :thumbup:

As for the energy conversion from BC -> IC energy, could you post the conversion ratio (like 1 bucket of oil : EUs)? I'd like to see the conversion on paper.

Whoops, need to read the original post more carefully!

I was thinking... would the geothermal generator be a good place to start in creating a BC fuel/oil -> IC EU energy generator? It already has a reservoir interface; perhaps it could be modified to accept BC waterproofed pipe input?

• Awesome mod man!

Ok, i've added a config file variable to allow changing of the ratio. Keep in mind that since everything has to eventually be converted to an integer, there is going to be some rounding loss. I've gone with rounding halves down to make it a bit more fair. So on a ratio of 1.5 on a LV coupler you will be converting 32EUs to 21 BC Energy, losing a third of a BC Energy Unit (32/1.5 = 21.33333)

• Nice Work McFistyBuns -- I too have been waiting on something like this.

Let me know when you feel its 'stable' enough, and I'll be happy to do a Youtube Mod Spotlight for you. Just say when :D.

Like others in the thread, I'd love to see this work 'both ways' -- simply so I could generate energy with steam engines, use teleport pipes to move it elsewhere, store it in an MFSU, and convert it back into BC energy for powering a quarry. Excessive? Perhaps :) but it'd be a fun build!!

Hello again Direwolf =P when i found this mod yesterday i was like "direwolf is SO going to do a mod spotlight on this, it's too good to pass up"

I love your videos more then anyone else doing minecraft vids atm.
    your very smart and know what your doing :D sorry if i sound like a fanboy but i can't seem to express my happiness

• Awesome addon man. I just tried it and one full battery (40k EU) box will get you 101 blocks with a quarry, and thats starting a quarry from scratch with its default size incase anyone was wondering lol.