[Addon v1.95]Rocket Science v0.89 - flying autominers, missiles, and nuclear fusion!

• Javascap:
    -The space suit is a nice first draft, but it could use a bit more detail. The back is also a bit asymmetrical. Other than that, nice job!
    -The Mechanism is planned to be a purely mechanical component. There will also be various circuit boards, so there's no need for wires. I can see how multiple gears would be an issue - if that proves too difficult, maybe a gyro or other nice-looking mechanical gadget?
    -The RS drills are intended to be superior pickaxes that consume fuel as a balancing mechanism. They'll still break, unlike IC2's drills, but their durability and mining speed are significantly better than a pickaxe of the same material. When crafted, a drill has no engine, so you'll need to install one using a Tinkering Bench before you can use the drill. Different engines and fuels grant different bonuses. The bench can also be used to install up to four upgrades ("Fragment Vacuum" and "Computerized Deposit Locator" grant Fortune I and II respectively, "Jackhammer Piston" grants Efficiency III, "Superconducting Bearings" grants Efficiency I and Unbreaking II, "Polymer Lubricant" grants Unbreaking II, etc.) with cumulative enchantment effects, plus effects that don't exist in vanilla enchantments (once you unlock nanotech in a future version, you can create self-repairing tools). Engines and upgrades can be retrieved from a broken drill before it's scrapped. Currently there are five drills planned: iron, steel, diamond-tipped steel, superalloy, and hybrid (diamond-tipped superalloy).

Thutmose: Heh, I appreciate you taking the time to type out that lecture, but I already know all of that. Recently got my recent Master's in nuclear engineering. :)

(But yes, there will be multiple varieties of fusion reactor in RS, all of which will be large multi-block structures. Once I have time to resume the project in earnest I'll go more into detail about the power plant mechanics I have planned)

Cool, Good to know it is being made by someone who is already very well acquainted with the field.

one question: do you know whether they are still planning on using a graphite substrate for the beryllium/lithium in the ITER or have they found a better way to plate it? Last time I had access to the info they were still researching the sputtering effects with graphite.

• For the Rocket Science Drill (Engineer's Drill? Rocket Scientist's Drill?), I think this should suffice.
    I think maybe Java could do the modelly textures. I have absolutely no grasp at all on any sort of model textures and would probably just end up painting it solid yellow.
    I did a sort of TF2 scrap metall-y type texture for the "Mechanism". It's more "Unrecognizable lump of scrap" Than mechanism, but at least it looks kinda mechanism-y... In all fairness, I made it from with a very wide zoom, so it looks better from far away...
    Also, I tried my hand at an item texture for the Spacesuit Helmet. It turned out quite well.
    EDIT: Just realized that the drill was the one I used before and consequently oversized. oh well.

• Kentngton, I assume you didn't get my private message, so I'll share the general contents here.

I also took your advice and touched up the space suit.
    1. Centered the air tank, extended the "pipe" into the helmet. I'm debating with myself whether I should move the tank down one pixel or keep it there.
    2. Added knee pads.
    3. Filled in a missing band near the hands.
    4. Textured the front a touch, removed reddish tint, only white-black shading, experimented with decals, but couldn't think of anything nice.
    5. Textured the top of the legs/bottom of the torso dark.

I also whipped up this mechanical part in about 10 minutes, quite untextured. Let me know what you think of the shape. I am assuming the mechanical piece is going to be made of gold and redstone, but if I am incorrect, I can change the colors to accommodate. Because there is a limit to five uploads in any new message, you can find the mechanical part in your private messages.

I also made sprites for the four parts of the space suit, as seen below. Hope you enjoy em.

For what it's worth, I think you should go with Engineer's drill, it looks better than anything I came up with.

• I recommend you actually make the faceplate transparent and instead add a few... shadings, I guess, to indicate the glass-ness. The whole "Opaque Faceplate" thing really isn't that, well, nice of a texture.
    Also, I think I should do the item textures, just sayin'. And as for the faceplate, maybe use orange tint instead. It's more modern.
    Plus, It really doesn't look like you put much work into the actual armour textures. It looks like you made white armour and painted it slightly. Add
    -Shadow
    -More detailed overlays
    -Deviate from standard procedure *REFERENCE*
    No, but what I did with my "SpaceSuit Helmet" was:
    -Get the texture for a diamond helmet
    -Add a solid orange faceplate
    -Shade the helmet in beige
    -Add shadow effects
    -Highlight some bits
    -Recolour outline to "Account for ambient lighting conditions" (If you can get that reference, I'll be impressed)

Not saying I'm better than you, but I think I should do the item textures...

• Official Post

Hey. As you might've guessed by now, my workload hasn't let up in the past month. I can't remember the last time I played Minecraft - or any game - let alone had the spare time to work on personal projects. I don't want to disappoint you guys again, especially considering how abruptly I had to cancel the first Rocket Science, but nor can I promise any progress at all on RS2. My current project at work ends in the next month or so, but it's anyone's guess as to whether I'll be assigned something similarly taxing afterwards. I'm sorry it has to end like this, but until further notice, assume that development has stopped.

I'll be sure to let you know if the situation changes.

• I am so stoked for this mod. For me the older version was all about getting that fusion reactor online. What an accomplishment! And it was much more fun to operate than a stinky old nuclear reactor (at least, before Alblaka reworked the mechanics).

If we can get some cool sound effects I imagine this new future stuff can be awesomesauce. I'd expect something like thisfor the gauss rifle.

We're super stoked for your mod, Kentington, and we totally understand that work & home life comes before games, so please take your time and make sure everything is set before you come finish the mod.

• help:

The rest is in the next post. Look down!

• Official Post

Not sure if you have the ability to read, but could you tell me for which version of Minecraft and IC2 this addon is?

• To Kentington:
    How are you planning to refine Titanium? A thermite reaction, perhaps? Just a suggestion.

Everyone in the world is playing The Game.
    As soon as you think about The Game, you lose The Game. Be advised that you cannot lose The Game more than once in an hour.
    Whenever you lose The Game, you must say "I lost The Game."
    Since, when you think about The Game, you lose The Game, by reading this, you have just lost the game and will continue to do so for the rest of your life. You're welcome.

Yes, I like Nintendo. What's it to you?

My posts will be very infrequent. Just so you know.

• To Javascap: You should color the visor of the space helmet orange or gold. It's realistic and stylish.

Just sayin'.

Everyone in the world is playing The Game.
    As soon as you think about The Game, you lose The Game. Be advised that you cannot lose The Game more than once in an hour.
    Whenever you lose The Game, you must say "I lost The Game."
    Since, when you think about The Game, you lose The Game, by reading this, you have just lost the game and will continue to do so for the rest of your life. You're welcome.

Yes, I like Nintendo. What's it to you?

My posts will be very infrequent. Just so you know.