[Addon v1.95]Rocket Science v0.89 - flying autominers, missiles, and nuclear fusion!

• Followed installation instructions but modloader doesn't load this? What's going on?

Think I figured out the problem, seems like the item ID's from another mod are overwriting the ones from this addon making it not work. No clue why.

• Will you add habitable space stations? Or, at least, did you thought about it?

• Kentington

MagnaPants: Also a good catch. The SMP update will change the nuke code to ignore bedrock.

first great mod :thumbup::thumbup:

for you nuke code Please do not only ignore bedrock.... Look "forge.ISpecialResistance" makes it more compatible...

• Koboldbard: Making the ion rockets into chargeable blocks would take up another block ID (or two, depending on how I handled the warhead) - the standard missile's TileEntity doesn't implement the energy-accepting interface. Due to inherent limitations in the Minecraft engine, modders have to minimize the number of BlockID's our mods use for compatibility's sake. (Speaking of which, I've never even heard of MineUp and can't be expected to help you without an error log)

Sorry, don't have an error log. MineUP is a mod that links all the dimensions into one huge map, allowing you to dig down into the neither, and fly up into a Aether like skyland. The problem is that I think the passanger rocket tries to teleport you, while MineUP moves you into an other dimension.

• Followed installation instructions but modloader doesn't load this? What's going on?

i had that happen too you need to reset your modloader config it should work then.

• Sorry, don't have an error log. MineUP is a mod that links all the dimensions into one huge map, allowing you to dig down into the neither, and fly up into a Aether like skyland. The problem is that I think the passanger rocket tries to teleport you, while MineUP moves you into an other dimension.

So your having problem with MineUP and IC2? Did you even read the page you linked to? Note the bolded, all caps text *very* hard to miss text saying "not compatible with forge"
    so in short: restart from scratch and don't install MineUP.

• Official Post

Had some free time today, worked on the design docs for the next few versions. There are a few ways Rocket Science could go after the satellite update, and I'd like some feedback on what you'd like to see first:

-Focus on multiplayer conflict. Add more missile defense options (kinetic kill vehicle, etc.), countermeasures (MIRV, chaff, etc.) that can be added to missiles to help them defeat defense systems, and new uses for nukes (detonate in the upper atmosphere to produce an EMP that shorts electrical machines). Maybe add a research system to facilitate a Cold War-style arms race. Implement team features and bases.
    -Explore nanotech. Add dissembler nanite swarms that eat multiple blocks before running out of charge and excrete scrap; add special missiles to deliver dissemblers to enemy bases. Add medical nanotech that can rapidly heal wounds or assemble fully-grown creatures from DNA samples. Maybe implement a nano-assembler that can create finished goods from scrap (with a random loot element).
    -Automate agriculture and harvesting of renewable resources. Add an arboretum that automatically grows and harvests trees, automatic planters and harvesters, perhaps a cloning device that produces baby animals. Implement genetic engineering of crops (and perhaps animals) to improve yield and growth rate.

Let me know which you prefer!

• The cloning device might be of interest. I already have an automated Arboretum from the Forestry add-on.
    I'm not much into the missiles or PvP side of things - I like the other applications of space-age tech like the autominer and the fusion reactor.

• I approve the idea of nanotech in real life, but in game it will be too imbalanced technology. So I vote for the arms race, but if you can avoid the "silver bullet", I'll be happy to see the nanotech in your addon. Harvesters is also a good idea, but their implementation can wait their turn.

P.S. Sorry for my English, if you found it terrible.

• Had some free time today, worked on the design docs for the next few versions. There are a few ways Rocket Science could go after the satellite update, and I'd like some feedback on what you'd like to see first:

My thoughts:
    -I'm always pro-multiplayer. ;) Both cooperative and competitive aspects.
    -Research system would be a neat touch, and could make "tech level" upgrades a bit more involving than just building the right tool.
    -Nanotech has potential, but you'd have to be careful not to make it overpowered. Or useless. Will be tricky to find the right balance.
    -Automated harvesting has been done fairly well by Minefactory and Forestry, so probably no need to go there.
    -Genetic engineering of crops is something Alblaka is working on, so probably no need to go there either.
    -The animals stuff I haven't seen yet. But, it would be a fairly major thing and not really fitting with everything else. It might be worth splitting into a 2nd mod if you end up going that way.

• Multiplayer Conflict. Nanotech sounds too much like equivalent exchange in terms of game balancing issues. (and real nanotechnology, if it worked like some people envision it, WOULD be like giving humanity the cheat codes to controlling matter. Humans would be able to tear down entire planets and rebuild them in a quite straightforward manner within relatively short periods of time)

Agriculture is something Alblaka is already doing.

The problem with duplicating features is that if 2 mods offer the exact same thing, and one does a better job or is more compatible, it only makes sense for players to install and play the better mod. The modder who wrote the inferior mod just wasted his or her time.

Given how many features your mod adds, adding multiplayer conflict and debugging all the SMP issues for the existing features would likely consume as much time as you have put into this mod so far.

• Had some free time today, worked on the design docs for the next few versions. There are a few ways Rocket Science could go after the satellite update, and I'd like some feedback on what you'd like to see first:

-Focus on multiplayer conflict. Add more missile defense options (kinetic kill vehicle, etc.), countermeasures (MIRV, chaff, etc.) that can be added to missiles to help them defeat defense systems, and new uses for nukes (detonate in the upper atmosphere to produce an EMP that shorts electrical machines). Maybe add a research system to facilitate a Cold War-style arms race. Implement team features and bases.
    -Explore nanotech. Add dissembler nanite swarms that eat multiple blocks before running out of charge and excrete scrap; add special missiles to deliver dissemblers to enemy bases. Add medical nanotech that can rapidly heal wounds or assemble fully-grown creatures from DNA samples. Maybe implement a nano-assembler that can create finished goods from scrap (with a random loot element).
    -Automate agriculture and harvesting of renewable resources. Add an arboretum that automatically grows and harvests trees, automatic planters and harvesters, perhaps a cloning device that produces baby animals. Implement genetic engineering of crops (and perhaps animals) to improve yield and growth rate.

Let me know which you prefer!

How I feel Now with all your ideas and current release: WIll you marry me?

How I will feel after SMP is released so I can add it to my server: Will you have my baby?

Anyway great ideas

• Official Post

I agree wholeheartedly that implementing nanotech is fraught with game balance issues (since a real-world nanofactory could easily convert the carbon in a block of wood or a lump of coal into a diamond, to pick one example). If Rocket Science does end up going in that direction I plan to make the nanofactory into a "minigame" similar to heat management in IC2's nuclear reactors - the idea being that this is first-generation nanotech without many safeguards, and the slightest goof could accidentally create self-replicating structures that need to be contained, lest they devour surrounding blocks. (On the other hand, at least it'll be a prettier way to destroy your house than a nuclear explosion - picture the rogue nanites turning everything into blocks of the same endlessly repeated crystal lattice) Less catastrophic errors would result in the item's molecular structure being slightly off and rendering it less durable - so you might get your desired diamond armor out of the machine, but it's riddled with plane fractures and has only a tenth of the health it should. Anyway, just my ideas.

Had no idea that Al was working on agriculture - thanks for saving me the time.

• I agree wholeheartedly that implementing nanotech is fraught with game balance issues (since a real-world nanofactory could easily convert the carbon in a block of wood or a lump of coal into a diamond, to pick one example). If Rocket Science does end up going in that direction I plan to make the nanofactory into a "minigame" similar to heat management in IC2's nuclear reactors - the idea being that this is first-generation nanotech without many safeguards, and the slightest goof could accidentally create self-replicating structures that need to be contained, lest they devour surrounding blocks. (On the other hand, at least it'll be a prettier way to destroy your house than a nuclear explosion - picture the rogue nanites turning everything into blocks of the same endlessly repeated crystal lattice) Less catastrophic errors would result in the item's molecular structure being slightly off and rendering it less durable - so you might get your desired diamond armor out of the machine, but it's riddled with plane fractures and has only a tenth of the health it should. Anyway, just my ideas.

Had no idea that Al was working on agriculture - thanks for saving me the time.

Nanotechnology is a great idea, it could go into many different directions because there are endless possibilities with Nanotech. But on the other hand defense mechanisms and more advanced ways to deal with Nukes and missles and enemy attacks is a great idea as well. I would like to see it go either way or both.

• OK, let see.
    Option 1: More Missile Content. Makes for some fun PvP, but there isn't much use for it in SSP. Unless you LIKE wasting resources just to ruin the landscape. TNT for any reason other then carving tunnels out of stone is pointless in my eyes, since it wastes so much of the resources. ITNT works fine for mining, but actual TNT is wasteful.

Option 2: Nanotech. d\shafxcszjl\fzhnaz sorry, wiping jizz off my keyboard. Properly implemented, it's even more sexy them magic or magitek. Hence the clean up there.
    As for balance, don't listen to all those people saying that the ability to turn a metric assload of cobblestone into a single diamond is unbalanced. I mean, they're using IC2 here, for christ sake! SUNLIGHT makes diamonds in this mod. Sure, it's slow and takes a lot of resources. Guess what? So does EE turning cobblestone into diamonds. And you can turn sunlight into diamonds without having to micromanage, since you can just wire it all up and go do other things while you wait.

As for balance, try to make it costly to run. Coal can be made into diamonds, yes. It's just that you get small diamonds from this, which are industrial grade, normally. But turning organic matter into something which can be eaten is easy, and one could explain a whole lot of "magic" with nanotech. I'd even suggest, if possible, to make a nanotech infusion device, which could allow you to give yourself a colony of nanites which would do a specific thing when released. Recharging it would involve going home and spending more resources building these things, or even more time and resources making a type which could reproduce when given carbon based compounds to build with. Or just by eating you and making you eat more food to keep them going.
    The possibilities are endless if one has a good imagination!

Option 3: Automated everything! Eh, pass. Most of the things I would want to automate are already possible.(yes, even a rubber farm. Get creative, people!)
    However, DNA modification, geneticly modified crops, cloning, and genetic modification? All new ideas. Bonus points if you manage to make Plasmid-ish things which let you do crazy things. Fire blasts would be fun, and a way to make yourself a super soldier would be awesome. "I don't need a weapon, I AM STEVE!" [/smash things barehanded and jump insanely far, and of course, explode on a whim, dealing damage to yourself and foes around you]

My choice array here is 2, 3, 1. I don't play online enough to need more missiles, since I don't have any foes in SSP which call for nukes, really.

Apprentice Redstoner, Professional Slacker

• As for balance, don't listen to all those people saying that the ability to turn a metric assload of cobblestone into a single diamond is unbalanced. I mean, they're using IC2 here, for christ sake! SUNLIGHT makes diamonds in this mod. Sure, it's slow and takes a lot of resources. Guess what? So does EE turning cobblestone into diamonds.

SIX. Stacks... does not a "metric assload" entail. Nor does it take "a lot of resources" - it takes 4 glowstone dust, 4 redstone, and a slimeball (which can be made from a bucket of water, a sapling, a reed and some seeds).
    It's a simple 4-step process - transmute the 6 stacks of cobble into 96 clay, transmute the clay into 16 iron, turn that into 4 gold, and VOILA. Diamond.
    Quite the far cry from building a recycler, grinding 38 stacks of material into scrap, then pumping over a MILLION EU into a machine that requires, among other things, a DIAMOND at its heart.

Nothing wrong with Equivalent Exchange, but please... do not for a moment pretend that the processes are even comparable, let alone balanced. If you want to talk about EE, keep in mind that the EMC for a Mass Fabricator, not counting the energy costs for the material or the copper, tin and rubber (for which there is no stated value) is 5,632. That's about 20 to 30 times as expensive as a Philospher's Stone, and the amount of cobble you need to scrap is more than six times as much.

So, if you're offering this up as evidence of anything, it's only how horribly imbalanced EE is and how it's not suitable as an example or comparison.

• This may very well be one of the coolest mods I've yet seen.

For new stuff I vote PvP and multiplayer. Not much other use for world destroying rockets at the moment.

Some other suggestions you may feel free to ignore
    Some way to manually input coordinates without the scanner. I'd like to set up a rocket transportation system between bases but right now its too much of a hassel.
    Scratch that didn't realize it was a planned feature of the space station update

Terraforming rockets, strap a terraformer to a booster, load a programs and send it off to some place far away. Not particularly useful at the either but something cool.

• Official Post

Looks like nanotech is the crowd favorite, so I guess I'll confirm that it's coming after the satellite update. Current plans include:

-Molecular dissembler machine, which breaks down blocks and items into resources. I plan to do this by element, rather than having it produce generic scrap like the recycler - for example, sticking in something organic will produce carbon (not in a valuable form like carbon plates - these will have to be assembled later), inserting sand will give you silicon, etc. IC2 machines will give back all of their components in unprocessed form (metal dust, etc). There's a chance that, say, cobblestone will contain a trace amount of something valuable and will increase that element's extraction gauge by 1-3% (giving you the resource - say a pile of gold dust - when it hits 100%). You'll also be able to use the dissembler to record an item's pattern into a nano-blueprint, destroying the item but allowing your nanofactories to produce more of them.
    -Dissembler nanites, which act as a splash weapon and quickly eat through blocks and entities nearby - only a nano- or quantum-suit provides much defense. They'll excrete elements as above.
    -Nanofactory machine. As I've said before, operation will involve a "minigame" like heat management in IC2's reactors, based around containing unwanted self-replicating structures. Nanofactories require the use of a blueprint created by the dissembler, and will specify how much of each valuable element is required for assembly of the desired object. Most nanotech, including dissembler nanite grenades, will only be craftable through this machine. (If it doesn't irritate too many of you, I might require the same of the nanosuit and quantum suit - it makes more sense that technologies like this require nano-assemblers to create)
    -(Pending certain Forge hooks) Nano-augmentations. Think the original Deus Ex - Steve will be able to supplement his biology with wonderful new abilities. Using them will deplete your hunger bar.
    -Rapid construction systems. Think construction foam on steroids - with the ability to package just about any arrangement of blocks into an easily transportable package. (It's entirely possible to have an "instant house", for example)

It may even be possible to use rapid construction systems in conjunction with dissemblers, nanofactories, and autominers to produce a self-replicating mining base. That is, it'll use the resources dug up by the autominer to construct a copy of itself elsewhere... and so on. More advanced possibilities include large-scale terraforming beyond what's possible with the vanilla IC2 terraformer.