[Suggestion] Add Buildcraft Liquid Pipe connectivity to Geothermal Generators.

• Description: IC² and Buildcraft integrate into each other neatly, especially with PowerCrystals addons, but it would be even better if not only items could be fed into machines, but liquids as well.
    The thing I'm talking about mostly here are the Geothermal Generators. It would be superb if we could just connect it to a liquid pipe from BC and keep it running instead of constantly bucked feeding them.

If Balance is your concern here (this would be a lot of energy really easy to get) include some kind of hindrance to that. Either a "continous flow module" that needs to be attached to the GTG, that needs tons of precious resources (diamonds, glowstone dust, advanced alloy, ...) alternatively a second group of GTG could be made and have a destinction between "Batch GTG" (The classic one we already have) and "Continuous GTG" (The one for BC-Pipe-connectivity, would be way more expensive).
    If that's not good, you could instead add a temperature problem similar to the Nuclear Reactor.
    Another option would be the need of a simultaneous water feed - either as coolant or to make steam that propells turbines (thats how GTGs work in real life...).

No matter what variant you choose, I'd be very glad to see something like this come true in the future of IC²

Recipe:
    The recipe for the continuous flow ADDON to a normal GTG could look like this:
    :Alloy: :Empty Cell: :Alloy:

:Advanced Machine: MinecraftZombie :Advanced Machine: (Where MinecraftZombie = Pump)

The recipe for the alternate continuous GTG could look like this:

:Geothermal Generator: MinecraftZombie :Geothermal Generator: (Again MinecraftZombie = Pump)

:Advanced Machine: :Empty Cell: :Advanced Machine:

Liebe Grüße aus Südhessen!

• Would be OP in the nether.
    I'd rather stick to the bucket filler, by pigalot. It's a less shenanigansy way to deal with it.
    And it saves Al some work :)

It's just my 2 cents ;)

Buildcraft – spilling items.™

• While I'm not opposed to sticking to using deployers wit BC liquid tanks to fuel my geothermal generators (with the fix to ISidedInventory so you can put and get buckets from them), I don't see why this shouldn't be a feature, it's really no more or less powerful then present setups just more realistic. Sure it's crazy in the nether but that's only because Geothermal is already crazy in the nether, not like you can do all that much with the power in the nether.

• I see your concern, that's why I suggested the expensive alternatives.
    The variant with water for cooling / steam generation would actually nullify the use in the nether, because there's no water there at all.

• At a minimum, I'd like to see IC Pumps use BC liquid pipes. So, even if the generators themselves don't use the pipes, we can still bucket/cell the water up and transfer the items into the generators as an extra step, and as an added bonus, those of us running IC and BC together won't need the additional BC mod to bucket up liquids, since the IC pumps will now serve this function.

'Wait! What does that mean?! I can't panic properly unless I know what that means!'
    'Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and... I went ahead anyway.'

• Pretty sure that this is impossible in base industrialcraft unless it is made to be dependent on buildcraft, but an addon could easily do this.

• I actually went away from BC I rather see more stuff done with RP2. But either way I don't think anything should be made to depend on 1 mod to another.

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.

• I actually went away from BC I rather see more stuff done with RP2. But either way I don't think anything should be made to depend on 1 mod to another.

I agree. Addons are a different story. We've got Those power converters for IC, BTW, and BC, which is fine, as you do not HAVE to have them, but if you do, they require both mods. So this would make for an interesting addon.

Sorry to say but something has been made that already depends on another mod, its called silver dust. Yes macerating silver ore (which only obtainable by installing the redpower mod) produces silver dust.

• [...]I don't think anything should be made to depend on 1 mod to another.

I agree. IC² should not depend on BC. But if both mods are present, it would be nice to have the ability to use a feature of one mod on a feature of the other. And mostly this already works without any problems. You can feed your machines with transport pipes. For example stuffing Iron ore into a chest, using a pipe to transport it to a macerator and using another pipe to get the metal dust out and into another chest. I haven't tried it yet, but it should work, because it's not dependent on what mod the target block is from, but if it has a container where the stuff can be put.

But since Tanks for Liquids are not in Vanilla Minecraft, the two mods developed with both their own shot at this. Since both mods use lava storage (BC: Tank, Combustion Engine, IC²: Geothermal Generator) it would be really nice to get them compatible to each other on this.
    So IC² would not be dependant on BC, but if both mods were present, there would be a feature enhancement.

• Sorry to say but something has been made that already depends on another mod, its called silver dust. Yes macerating silver ore (which only obtainable by installing the redpower mod) produces silver dust.

More like Installing Forge. Anyways some teen across the street committed suicide I think you get where I'm going with. I don't support BC personally so I really would dislike seeing special features made for it.

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.

• I believe this thread was created in response to http://forum.industrial-craft.…page=Thread&threadID=1854. FYI. Anyways, It looks to be like you can add features requiring other mods without the need to force dependence on that mod, if the silver dust and silver cable recipe is any indication. Which is quite exciting.

Edit:

]More like Installing Forge. Anyways some teen across the street committed suicide I think you get where I'm going with. I don't support BC personally so I really would dislike seeing special features made for it.

What, what? Please clarify.

'Wait! What does that mean?! I can't panic properly unless I know what that means!'
    'Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and... I went ahead anyway.'

• RailCraft does this, it adds in BC-liquid-centric parts but only if BC is installed, otherwise it just hides its BC content.

So it's definitely possible.

• Official Post

The BuildCraft API isn't backwards-compatible between the stable 1.X branch and the newer 2.X branch, so we would be making IC2 incompatible with one or the other by adding this right now. I'd suggest implementing it as an Industrial Pipes addon, with special pipes (cobblestone+wire+cobblestone?) that provide hookups to IC2 machines. Then the addon could be released in 1.X and 2.X editions. (Doing that kind of split release with the entirety of IC2 would be a right pain, so I'm discounting that possibility.)

• While I like the idea, I'm doubtful if IC² should integrate the "dead" 1.x BC-branch.
    I've used the BC 2.x branch for quite a while now, and while many complain about bugs - on my machine it works like a charm.

• The BuildCraft API isn't backwards-compatible between the stable 1.X branch and the newer 2.X branch, so we would be making IC2 incompatible with one or the other by adding this right now. I'd suggest implementing it as an Industrial Pipes addon, with special pipes (cobblestone+wire+cobblestone?) that provide hookups to IC2 machines. Then the addon could be released in 1.X and 2.X editions. (Doing that kind of split release with the entirety of IC2 would be a right pain, so I'm discounting that possibility.)

That would be acceptable - BC 1.8 is now deprecated.

• The BuildCraft API isn't backwards-compatible between the stable 1.X branch and the newer 2.X branch, so we would be making IC2 incompatible with one or the other by adding this right now. I'd suggest implementing it as an Industrial Pipes addon, with special pipes (cobblestone+wire+cobblestone?) that provide hookups to IC2 machines. Then the addon could be released in 1.X and 2.X editions. (Doing that kind of split release with the entirety of IC2 would be a right pain, so I'm discounting that possibility.)

With buildcraft 2.2.5 Spacetoad has declared it stable and discontinued the original 1.X line. Thus I'd say it's time to stop worrying about compatibility with both versions.