Suggestion: The Ultimate Generator! (Antimatter)

• The Stick: That’s why I limited my statement to “these high-tech machines” :P

In addition, by now, everything I have built would have been – approximately, at least – possible in real life.
    Violations in high-tech are also, at least for me, far more disturbing than – for example – the possibility to chop down trees with your bare hands (partly because one will be using axes most of the time, I think).

• In any case.

I’m also one of those who think that there should be no obvious violations of physics with these high-tech machines, so I’m against using this LHC or similar machines for generating antimatter (and getting more energy out of it afterwards)

...obvious violations of physics? I'm sorry, you don't like the floating islands? Or the random floating blocks of dirt?[/quote]

Oh, Oh, How about Magically replicating water, or Exploding bush monsters?

• You don’t want to get my point on purpose, do you?

My original post is still limited to high-tech machines. I used this limitation on purpose. Guess why? ;)

In addition, there is finite liquids if one doesn’t like the water’s behaviour (I thought about using it, but currently, I’m not using any mods, so not that one (it doesn’t matter, why)).

The creepers are an integral part of the gameplay; like zombies. A LHC, in contrast, tries to resemble a real machine, representing complex physical laws and processes. It just doesn’t feel right.

• No offense, but the "it's not logical so it shouldn't work" argument doesn't work for minecraft. I mean we've got dirt that refuses to obey gravity, creepers that somehow survived as a race even though they blow themselves up, and the capability to make infinite water.

On Topic: Anti Matter? HECK YEA! Would be useful for transporting ridiculous qunatites of energy. Though if this gets implemented, I'm gonna have to demand an anti matter bomb....

• No offense, but the "it's not logical so it shouldn't work" argument doesn't work for minecraft. I mean we've got dirt that refuses to obey gravity, creepers that somehow survived as a race even though they blow themselves up, and the capability to make infinite water.

On Topic: Anti Matter? HECK YEA! Would be useful for transporting ridiculous qunatites of energy. Though if this gets implemented, I'm gonna have to demand an anti matter bomb....

LOL OMG THAT WOULD BE EPIC!!!

• what about SMP servers? antimatter will cause hurge amount of chunk updates.

Considering how, at most, a single nuke can cause 4 chunk updates (2x2 square, originating at the exact center) tripling that power for an antimatter bomb would at most be a 4x4 square = 16 chunks. More are updated every sunrise and sunset.

• 4096 block updated per player on light change.

single nuke will cause over 9000 (literally) updates, single full chunk is 30k blocks half chunk 15k, if it hit 16 chunks == 100k updates. it much more then sunset and sunrise updates for entire server with 20 players online.

• I know this thread is a little dead, but I'd still like this idea thoroughly explored without sidetracking it with talk about chunk updates and how the physics work.

The basis of using resources for fuel (mining coal, pumping oil, refining uranium, etc.) is that it provides more energy than you (the person gathering the resources) put into getting them. Oil, coal, uranium, and wood are all products of stellar fusion when you get down to it. Oil, Coal, and wood are all products from organisms that grew and sustained themselves by using sunlight to convert water and carbon dioxide into glucose, and Uranium came from the isotopic transmutation of the stellar implosion and resulting supernova that preceded then coalesced into our current star system today. Theoretically antimatter can be made if enough energy were put into the system by natural means (like some sort of stellar phenomena) then captured and contained to ration out in a reaction chamber. I can understand where you're getting this notion that making antimatter from scratch should be more costly than the energy provided by it, it should be. Getting antimatter that is readily available (or at least accessible) only costs you the necessary tools and transportation to acquire it. But I digress...

I'm all for seeing antimatter in the mod, how you utilize it and contain it is debatable. There are many different ideas people can have for it, and different ways to interpret them into the mod's balance. I suggest we follow a few basic rules to wrangle in the variety of ideas, and below them are a few game mechanics I have added as my own suggestion using these rules as a guideline. I'm not saying it has to be this, but I think they properly emulate antimatter in Minecraft. My ideas come from Star Trek's antimatter concepts, but not specifically built around them.

##Matter and antimatter will react and annihilate each other when they come in contact:
    -This means if a player touches it, steps on it, hits it with a tool, fires an projectile at it, or places a block on it they should either die or be extremely hurt without specialized armor, (like the quantum suit, or nano suit) which would be destroyed/damaged instead but protect you a little from the energy released.
    -Contact will annihilate the matter and antimatter in question, making you extra careful not to screw up getting it.
    -Harvesting and moving it should require special tools that manipulate it in such a way as to prevent this.
    -Losing containment should very catastrophic, much like an overheating nuclear reactor, but far worse. There should be no fail safes like reinforced stone in IC1 or the proposed iridium stone in another suggestion thread. You lose containment, it's like a blow out sale: everything must go.

##Antimatter should be EXTREMELY rare and inaccessible but generate huge amounts of energy:
    -Finding that 1 block of antimatter in the middle of an unforgiving place like the deep (now dark and scary thanks to 1.8 ) parts of the earth near the bedrock or the ghast and lava-ridden nether should be a rewarding experience for the player, as is developing the technologies to harness it's power.
    -Making even a single containment vessel should be something that requires a lot of development, we have force fields and matter generators, both of which require a ludicrous amount of resources, why not use these as a basis to guide harvesting, containment, and reactor recipes.
    -The required teching and resulting energy usage should be such that it makes nuclear reactors seem like furnaces in comparison.
    -Antimatter should react with matter generated by the matter generator not just anything you have at hand. A precise and costly addition to the very precise and costly work of obtaining antimatter. It certainly helps to have scrap from a recycler in this case.

• Antimatter actually exists. Go look it up. However, it makes a huge explosion whenever it touches it's antipolar atom. (The atom it's based turned into antimatter from)
    Thus, it releases an ungodly amount of energy. Because instead of breaking atoms, you're DELETING them. And producing tons of energy at the same time. How I think it should work would be that you use this recipe for an antimatter generator:
    IMI
    AMA
    IMI
    Where M=Advanced Machine, A=Advanced Circuit, and I=Iridium Plate. It would create an Antimatter reactor, which is fueled with UUM and Uranium Cells. Each piece of UUM and Uranium would create a whopping 10,000,000 EU. And it would output T4 energy. (2048 EU)

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• I M I
    AMA
    I M I
    Where M=Advanced Machine, A=Advanced Circuit, and I=Iridium Plate. It would create an Antimatter reactor, which is fueled with UUM and Uranium Cells. Each piece of UUM and Uranium would create a whopping 10,000,000 EU. And it would output T4 energy. (2048 EU)

A matter-antimatter reactor is a T4 machine, and should cost much, much more than a Mark V nuclear reactor with tricked-out cooling setups. Think more colossal undertaking requiring stripping mining several million cubic meters worth of raw materials.

• ...obvious violations of physics? I'm sorry, you don't like the floating islands? Or the random floating blocks of dirt?

There is a secret invisible power suspending them, of course. That's just about balancing forces. CREATING evergy, on the other hand, is such an extreme violation of the fundamental principles of physics it makes my head hurt.

As for the later argument of self-replicating water, it's simply a coding limitation. Know about FiniteLiquid? It only simulates finity for small bodies of water, yet it can chew CPU-power like there's no tomorrow.

I know there's really no point bringing in the "durr hurr REALITY MAN!" argument in gaming, but if there's a simple choise...

NOW, with that said, I do want higher tiers of ... EVERYTHING! Currently, it's quite easy to beeling for the most advanced stuff in only a few days; Making for pretty quick stagnation in SMP. It would be much cooler if a lot of people would contribute to make an epic high-tier power plant in their new town :thumbup:
    Edit: OR maybe I just have too much freetime :rolleyes:

• well this would all be well and good but why not start with some lower level things like a lava 'detector' so you dont happen to fall into lava and a scanner that would detect certain ores that you set it to and tell you where the closest one is like the 'rare' diamond

• well this would all be well and good but why not start with some lower level things like a lava 'detector' so you dont happen to fall into lava and a scanner that would detect certain ores that you set it to and tell you where the closest one is like the 'rare' diamond

When I revived this thread it was in the hope of keeping the topic solely on antimatter, how it is incorporated into the game, and how its mechanics affect gameplay. If you want to make a different suggestion like the lava detector, which is a nice idea but not about antimatter, you can make a separate thread for it and we can discuss it there. I would like to add that we have an Ore Density Scanner as well as an Ore Value Scanner, both of which can help to triangulate diamonds if used in unison.

• A matter-antimatter reactor is a T4 machine, and should cost much, much more than a Mark V nuclear reactor with tricked-out cooling setups. Think more colossal undertaking requiring stripping mining several million cubic meters worth of raw materials.

Could possibly use some of the items I suggested in my Basic T4 thread. As in Super-Advanced machine blocks. And Antimatter Plating crafted like:
    III
    IRI
    III
    Where I=iridium Plate, and R=Advanced reactor plating stuffs (The smart coolant one)

And then the reactor would be
    AMA
    INI
    ACA
    Where A=Antimatter Plating, M=super-advance machine, N=nuke reactor, I=Iridium Crystal,and C=super-advance circuit. Also, it would run on antimatter, which is created with an Antimass Fabricator, crafted like so
    UAU
    MIM
    UAU
    Where U=UUM, I= Iridium Crystal, A=Super-Advance Circuit, and M=super-advance machine. Antimass fabricators would be like the Mass fabricator, except using 10kk EU per use, and creating Antimatter, and using UUM instead of Scrap. And the Antimatter generator (Due to it being friggin expensive and using 10kk eu for the cost of 1 fuel) would produce a whopping 30kk eu at 2048 EU/t. That's a net gain of 20kk EU. Assuming you used no scrap or UUM. Also, UUM would provide a longer boost for the Antimass generator than scrap would in a Mass fabricator. Antimatter (Due to it being created in an AntiMass fabricator, it thus has negative mass) would be used for lotsa cool stuff related to flying. Including possible air vehicles/hovercarts. And a freelow-energy Electric Jetpack.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.