Question about long(ish) distance power

• I think you just need to place your MV transformer right next to your power supply. (no cables between) then an LV transformer in the same pattern. if you put a batbox every 5 blocks you wont lose any EU!

example:
    - = cable
    L= LV transformer
    M= MV transformer
    P = power supply
    B = batbox

PML----B----B----B

• I believe that a /wrench/ should have a chance of destroying things, but even more so that an /electric wrench/ should -never- destroy things.
    The whole point of advanced technology is to make life better. It's silly to think that an advanced wrench might not return something (or that if it doesn't it should have the same pathetic success rate a normal wrench does).

I am in complete agreement with this position, and have implemented the wrench mod into my game for that same reason.

• I think I finally got what you all mean when you say "pulse wastage". Do you mean that receivers (ie, a machine or :Batbox: ) signal demand at the first tick they are not maxed out, even if it's only one EU? And senders (redstoned transformers or :MFE-Transmitter: / :MFS-Unit: ) respond by a pulse (or multiple pulses on the same tick) at their fixed output voltage that cannot be possibly received in full?

• Sounds like it... BUT! I've noticed that sometimes certain machines can take the full packet, even if it brings them over their limit. Take an MFE or MFSU that's one EU short of full, and send the largest input packet they can take - you will notice it brings them up to 600,127 or 10,000,511 respectively. Not sure how other machines respond because it's not as easy to track the power transfer reliably.

• Sounds like it... BUT! I've noticed that sometimes certain machines can take the full packet, even if it brings them over their limit. Take an MFE or MFSU that's one EU short of full, and send the largest input packet they can take - you will notice it brings them up to 600,127 or 10,000,511 respectively. Not sure how other machines respond because it's not as easy to track the power transfer reliably.

I /believe/ this behavior was documented in other posts and is likely only the case in the various storage tier devices. Still I wouldn't rely on a batbox buffer alone on the receiving end to be sufficient without first running tests. In my cases I've already laid out the investment, or (in the server section) am running a temporary test server where the entire point is to test the container and thus short-circuit directly to the higher tiers of technology which are more likely to stress the server.

• Hmm... a timer on a transmitting MFSU sounds really interesting. This would help to ensure that we are sending full sized packets down the line to our factories. Instead I think we are sending packets where the waste/power ratio is a very large number. There could easily be instances of sending a packet of 10 eu where 8 are going to resistance and 2 are what the machine actually requests. A timer would allow us to allow the machine to use up its internal power supply allowing us to send a full packet of 32 eu. Delivering 24 ue and wasting 8. I am going to go play with Redpower stuff right now!

• While that is cool, it assumes things are running. I've just found it easier to build everything within lossless distances. With glass-fibre running 39 without loss going any further than that, /maybe/ one form of signal boost or another; the distance is impractical on SMP for other reasons.

• While that is cool, it assumes things are running. I've just found it easier to build everything within lossless distances. With glass-fibre running 39 without loss going any further than that, /maybe/ one form of signal boost or another; the distance is impractical on SMP for other reasons.

Glass fibre runs 20 without loss. It's tin that does 40

• Glass fibre runs 20 without loss. It's tin that does 40

No, really, test it your self. In at -least- 1.23 glass fibre does 39 without loss. Tin also only goes 39 without loss (not 40; it's on cable block 40 that it would tally the lost eU/packet).

Don't believe me? Wire a solar 39 away from anything that will reboost (batbox, LVFT + redstone signal etc) and then /that/ to a storage unit so you can watch the ticks. You'll get exactly the expected value at 39 tin + 39 glass fibre. If you only want to test the glass fibre things get easier.