Grandiose Base Plans - comments/ideas welcome :)

• I'm planning for a base on a new map... Below is a schematic of the planned item flow.

"Input" will probably be a teleport pipe so I can send stuff from whatever corner of the map I'm currently pillaging. Maybe a second one on a different freq. that goes straight into the recycler.
    The "bulk storage" is a large chamber of chests into which items get sorted as they come in. There are transposers on each chest that send stuff back up to the crafting area when triggered.

All of the stuff in the bottom right quadrant is the subject of this thread.

Am I forgetting anything? :)

• Actually that looks to be a pretty solid design, reminds me a little of the "blueprints" I'm working on atm (but the plans are no where as clear as this, it's just floor plans)

Can't wait to see the finished product.

• Where's ore go from macheration?

Everything that comes out of the macerators (except for 80% of the sand) goes to the bulk storage. If there's no room, or no place for it there, it comes back out the overflow, and either ends up in the valuables overflow chest, or the recycler (probably the chest, since you're not going to be macerating anything you're just going to toss). The macerator has been redesigned along the lines of Shadowclaimer's recycler, so you can dump whatever mixture you want in there (as long as it's maceratable), and it just recirculates until it finds an open machine. I probably need to add a filter on the manual input to reject anything that can't be macerated.

There are also some (intentional) loops in there... If cobblestone storage overflows, it comes out and gets sent back to be made into sand, stairs, slabs, etc., which may ALSO overflow. The secondary products will end up in the recycler if they overflow, though. It wastes some power, but keeps those building materials in constant full stock.

I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to wire up the item delivery system from bulk storage. The most elegant way to do it (put a RP2 filter on the destination chest with the item you want, then pulse the transposers on all of the storage chests) doesn't seem to work (not sure if it's WAD or a bug). The other options are wire one switch for each item (Wall of Switches from Hell), or use 8-10 switches to code in the item you want (Rat's Nest of Redwire From Hell - AKA "can't find your item with a Karnaugh map and a torch"). Leaning towards option two right now.

• Everything that comes out of the macerators (except for 80% of the sand) goes to the bulk storage. If there's no room, or no place for it there, it comes back out the overflow, and either ends up in the valuables overflow chest, or the recycler (probably the chest, since you're not going to be macerating anything you're just going to toss). The macerator has been redesigned along the lines of Shadowclaimer's recycler, so you can dump whatever mixture you want in there (as long as it's maceratable), and it just recirculates until it finds an open machine. I probably need to add a filter on the manual input to reject anything that can't be macerated.

There are also some (intentional) loops in there... If cobblestone storage overflows, it comes out and gets sent back to be made into sand, stairs, slabs, etc., which may ALSO overflow. The secondary products will end up in the recycler if they overflow, though. It wastes some power, but keeps those building materials in constant full stock.

I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to wire up the item delivery system from bulk storage. The most elegant way to do it (put a RP2 filter on the destination chest with the item you want, then pulse the transposers on all of the storage chests) doesn't seem to work (not sure if it's WAD or a bug). The other options are wire one switch for each item (Wall of Switches from Hell), or use 8-10 switches to code in the item you want (Rat's Nest of Redwire From Hell - AKA "can't find your item with a Karnaugh map and a torch"). Leaning towards option two right now.

*maceration
    and ohh okay i wasnt sure on that but that makes a lot of sense :)
    Great Job Tho :Energy Crystal: :thumbup:

• how do you deal with overflow? what lets you see into the chest and tell when its full?

Redpower filters won't suck an item out of a tube unless they have a valid target for it. They seem to know when the chests connected to the tubes are full, and it goes on through to the overflow.

• Redpower filters won't suck an item out of a tube unless they have a valid target for it. They seem to know when the chests connected to the tubes are full, and it goes on through to the overflow.

do you think you could post a screenie when your done with that part of your base? would be very much appreciated :D

• do you think you could post a screenie when your done with that part of your base? would be very much appreciated :D

Well, as I can't even start until after 1.9 is released and the mods stabilize, that might be a while :(

But I do have more prototypes...

This is the input to the auto-storage. The filters in the bottom/middle send stuff to the appropriate chests. The tube they feed off of would end up in an overflow chest to catch uncategorized stuff. The transposers at the top lead to an overflow tube, and are necessary as check valves to keep stuff from backflowing into the wrong chests.

This is the output side. The chests will be divided into categorized "banks" to hopefully keep the number of different items in each bank under 32.
    To get a specific item, you'd set 5 or 6 switches to select an item, which would turn on the appropriate colored wire (the red one, in this case), then turn on the switch for the appropriate bank, which starts the timer, which is AND-ed with the select wire to pulse the transposers.

These are the different circuits that select individual items within a bank of chests. You need one circuit (2x3x7) for each type of item. This test set is just one of each type of circuit (for 6 inputs, you need 7 basic types; the others are just musical chairs with the input wires). In the real thing, they'll be stacked 8 long and 2-4 high on each side of the cable bundles. Hopefully Eloraam will get her RedBus system finished, in which case all of this could probably be programmed into a computer block instead. :) Just imagine what kind of Hell this would be without RedPower 8|

• What is providing the precious EU? Are you going nuclear or are you going to use gigantic solar arrays. Personally, i would recommend some geothermal generators. They are efficient, and will not explode.

I AM A RAGING INDUSTRIALIST!!!!!!!!!!!! :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:
    Click here plz!!!

• What is providing the precious EU? Are you going nuclear or are you going to use gigantic solar arrays. Personally, i would recommend some geothermal generators. They are efficient, and will not explode.

Probably a combination... A 3-chamber Mk V CASUC reactor can easily do 500EU/t with room left for a little (suboptimal) breeding during normal run cycles, and a little margin for error. I'll probably have one of those in there somewhere. I'll probably also have some sort of BC/IC Fuel->EU generator in there, too. BC fuel is extremely cheap/dense energy storage.

Definitely no huge solar arrays, though. I'll probably have some solar and wind built into the roof (depending on elevation) to handle power vampires like keeping induction furnaces hot, and of course to power the Mob Kebab wall ... In fact, I might make it a server rule that solar arrays have to be below a certain size. :)

My feeling is that having lots of storage is the best way to go. Then you can get by with much less generation capacity, since you can draw from storage when you need it, and recharge when you're doing something else.

• Will you release a download when its done because this is such and amazing design

Probably depends on the other people on the server. At a minimum I could load up a backup on a parallel server instance if someone wants to look around.

• Probably depends on the other people on the server. At a minimum I could load up a backup on a parallel server instance if someone wants to look around.

If so then can your make the parallel server online-mode off so I can join

• Would you preffer to use Redpwer Pipes or Buildcraft Pipes

Personally I prefer buildcraft pipes for long distance runs (Buildcraft pipes can be made from cobble, whereas redpower requires brass.)
    The autorouting for redpower pipes is useful though! (Although just wait - this looks very promising!)

As for my 2:Industrial Credit:s worth:

• Neat design.
    • I personally would put the manual input before the ore branch.
    • For scrap - don't forget about scaffolding and/or glass panes!