Suggestion: Machinery operating faster (in the cost of 4x or more energy)

• Official Post

As the title says.Make all machines have a option to activate a "speed boost" [using redstone current or a option in machine GUI] at the cost of 4x or more energy per operation and make them overheat {maybe explode?} if they are used with speed boost for too long, like a computer when overclocked.

Then we wouldnt have to make lots of macerators,recyclers... instead make more Generators to supply its energy demand.

• There is a reason for the induction furnace, and The advanced machines addon adds similarly advanced versions of the other basic machines. Recycler is the only one not added so far.

• As the title says.Make all machines have a option to activate a "speed boost" [using redstone current or a option in machine GUI] at the cost of 4x or more energy per operation and make them overheat {maybe explode?} if they are used with speed boost for too long, like a computer when overclocked.

Then we wouldnt have to make lots of macerators,recyclers... instead make more Generators to supply its energy demand.

i like the direction of your idea. my only suggestion is that instead of useing an overclock mode, why not allow them to operate depending on the usable energy. my example: :Geothermal Generator: + :MFE-Transmitter: + :LV-Transformer: = (all my machines). the MFE usually sends larger packets of energy to my machines than they can all use.

but if they are able to use more energy (with a boost speed) when more is available it would be more efficiant. and reasonabley balanced.

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• Once CPUs are finished you will be capable to construct some sort of "overclock" blocks, which will double nearby machine speeds, while quadroubling their EU usage.
    Stackable effect.

ooOooo shiny, I like, I like a lot.

• Once CPUs are finished you will be capable to construct some sort of "overclock" blocks, which will double nearby machine speeds, while quadroubling their EU usage.
    Stackable effect.

so... could I supply a macecreator with ultra voltage if it had like 10 overclock blocks around it?

• so... could I supply a macecreator with ultra voltage if it had like 10 overclock blocks around it?

Most likely not... 32 Eu/t consumption would most likely be the hard cap for such devices. But at that rate, you've over consumed any amount of EU that you have generated for this method to be practical...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• If an "overclocked" machine consumes/demands 4 times more power .. How would that work with cabling arrangements, would it demand medium voltage instead of its normal low voltage, or will it just consume what it desires (being 4 times more power) at that low voltage throughput?

Looking forward to speeding up maceration, compression, and extraction!

• That's a question that has a not-so-obvious consequence. If the machine needs, say, 4 times the power, but can only get it at the default voltage, how can it run faster? If it remains at its standard voltage, it will take 4 times longer to get the power it needs... and therefore, 4 times longer to finish the job.

It would seem, then, that the machine will have to request higher voltage somehow - or that the overclocker will have to provide it in some way.

• so, perhaps, the overclock block being powerd by say... high voltage? (only consuming a meager 1eu/t itself) would send extra power thru its output side to speedup whatever machines its pluged into, bypassing the max. ammount of eu/t ther suposed to take?

• If an "overclocked" machine consumes/demands 4 times more power .. How would that work with cabling arrangements, would it demand medium voltage instead of its normal low voltage, or will it just consume what it desires (being 4 times more power) at that low voltage throughput?

Looking forward to speeding up maceration, compression, and extraction!

err.. it's quite simple really, a normal 3 EU/t machine now consumes 12EU/t
    Just because you overclock something doesn't mean it's at a higher "voltage", i've got my desktop processor overclocked and the whole unit still runs off of 110Vac. (the processor itself didn't get overvolted either)

• Yes, but that's not the same as the way machines work in IC2. Here, a machine perfoms a "task" only when it has sufficient power for it (32 EU required for macerating one block of ore, etc). If it takes 4 times the power, it must wait until that power is available. You have one of two options: Overclockers allow the machine to accept higher voltage, or find another way to provide the extra power without taking more time (which would defeat the purpose of the idea).

• Guys, guys! Remember, if you put medium voltage into an LV-Trans, you get 4 times the packets on the output side! Since you probably are using an MFSU, you are getting 16 times the required packets already! You are fine and don't even know it!

The best part about IC is being able to force the server admin to buy power from your capitalist nuclear enterprise

• That doesn't change the fact that most machines can only take 32 EU per tick before exploding!
    NOT "any number of 32 EU packets", mind you... one per tick. Or Boom.

• Actually machines can take multiple packets (if provided multiple sources) :3

Yes... providing that the total packets don't exceed 32 EU per tick... right?
    Otherwise you might as well just do away with the limitation entirely. You're not honestly trying to tell me that there's any difference in getting 64 EU in a single tick from one source vs. 32 from each of two, are you?