Nuclear Explosion Power / Containment

• In preparation for building the new breeder I have been planning I wanted to test the explosive power of nuclear reactor cores.

The test beds were ReGlass and ReStone. I figure I want the result to be a solid outer shell of intact blocks as a safety margin.

The reactor core was placed in the center of the bounding box, 6 uranium in a 2x3 are left inside and it is then sealed in.

ReGlass: 6 uranium == Walls 4 thick; outer layer survives. (However lots of layers sacrificed)
    ReStone: 6 uranium == Walls 3 thick; outer layer survives.
    Very few inner blocks sacrificed (it seems that only a single lateral shot across 3 blocks managed to escape; the outer wall was unharmed; the reactor and 3 inner blocks were all that was empty, though I did not bother to check through corners (I did see some ReGlass kitty-corner to the core missing in that experiment)

As I understand it ReStone has a blast resistance value of something like 100-150 per block. Distribution of explosion being one thing, how powerful is the actual explosion? I remember seeing something like 45 in the config, but the uranium add more, and I'm also not sure of temperature over time is an issue (obviously temperature at terminal is merely terminal).

I could see a /very/ slow burning reactor convert a cone of material beneath it to simple moving lava; while a rapid heatup might have a few times the force of a slower heat up that did explode.

Distribution of explosion being one thing, how powerful is the actual explosion? I remember seeing something like 45 in the config, but the uranium add more, and I'm also not sure of temperature over time is an issue (obviously temperature at terminal is merely terminal).

Short Answer (to how powerful the explosion is): It's Complicated.

More Info:
    Only 3 factors determine the "size" of the explosion, amount of uranium in the reactor, amount of reactor plating in the reactor, and the max reactor explosion variable [which is just the limit cap for explosion size].

It appears that 12 uranium (and no reactor plating) is the minimum amount of uranium to reach the default max explosion size of 45.
    Though you have to think of that more as the blast radius not the destructive force.

As far as "destructive force" vs "blast resistance", I'm not exactly sure what it is for the reactor, Player did a number on it when he made the explosions spherical ... which is quite impressive, but makes it hard to read :) [Least I think someone said it was Player, forgive me if I give credit to the wrong person :)]

• While I'm always careful about my reactor setups to ensure they won't go bad, just incase, I do wrap up my reactors safely with 5 layers of reinforced stone.

I've altered the access walkway and wiring slightly, but you get the idea. I've got a source water block up 2 from the topmost reactor chamber, and back 3 (if memory served correct) and it hasn't vanished on me yet.

Sure was fun getting all those metals to make the mixed metal ingot required for the reinforced stone! :pinch:

• You made that legit? Mind = blown :wacko:

Just make a new rector if the old one goes prompt supercritical (or whatever it was the helpful nuclear engineer called it ^^ )

• That's still enough of a pain in the butt. I finally finished adding an extension to the new resource collection area on my server where RP2 pipes shuffle stuff through a macerator/furnace bank as necessary and a brief BC crafting table stage makes blocks out of the ingots. Crazy volume of pipes used for that. It'd be barely manageable with BC pipes (tons and tons and tons of iron... and stuff leaking out everywhere). I made all of the ReStone in the chamber that resulted from my test my self, but placed a loose cube (it's one layer short due to the surface I was building on) with 3 thick walls.

All I need to do is contain the worst case explosion possible for the given target reactor; which in this case was 5-6 units of uranium.

12+ you're probably correct in that you need whatever cap-containment is. 5 would leave only 6x6x6 within the core area (I prefer to build within a 16x16x16 chunk since I've seen them transfer out of order to my client... must make it an atomic load).

• seems like overkill...I filled my reactor, surrounded with water if that affects it, with fuelrods (Only 1 extra chamber) and 1 layer of reinforced stone contained it perfectly...

• I think there are still glitches in Minecraft's handling of water and explosions that can be exploited to easily make an explosion proof container. Until Al slips a fix in and blows up everyone's reactors :)

• I think there are still glitches in Minecraft's handling of water and explosions that can be exploited to easily make an explosion proof container. Until Al slips a fix in and blows up everyone's reactors :)

Huh. Water shouldn't really affect the explosion *too* much. It still explode'd where by pipes/wires where, so it didn't totally mute the explosion.

• I think it's more that the water shifts /where/ the explosion goes. One of mine that blew up had a full layer of water above it, normal stone around it, and sand beneath it. The vast majority of the explosion dug down.

Ah, well I have been very evil... My reactors are built using Bedrock, cannot have that destroyed by Al, might pose a threat to finding the "Void".
    That is, if you do not mind MCEditing or cheating, if you do, well you can quarry out the bedrock and try slipping a reactor in under the rocks down there that Notch have planted for you and use those, that also works to some degree.

• Ah, well I have been very evil... My reactors are built using Bedrock, cannot have that destroyed by Al, might pose a threat to finding the "Void".
    That is, if you do not mind MCEditing or cheating, if you do, well you can quarry out the bedrock and try slipping a reactor in under the rocks down there that Notch have planted for you and use those, that also works to some degree.

How is that quarry supposed to remove the bedrock?

• Since not all bedrock is an even surface, it's possible to uncover small "cavities" where bedrock is present on several sides. Such a place might be ideal for slipping a reactor but would certainly impair the cooling - making it all the more likely to explode. You sure wouldn't be able to find/make a space suitable for a containment vessel - at least not legitimately.

• Since not all bedrock is an even surface, it's possible to uncover small "cavities" where bedrock is present on several sides. Such a place might be ideal for slipping a reactor but would certainly impair the cooling - making it all the more likely to explode. You sure wouldn't be able to find/make a space suitable for a containment vessel - at least not legitimately.

Or use the extra bedrock the Miner digs up ;P

• It's never happened to me. Even with a diamond drill, I've never encountered that bug.
    And you'd have to be VERY careful where you placed it afterwards - one misclick and it's time to build your reactor somewhere else!

• When I build Bedrock reactors by hand, I am VERY careful, no fast building so the progress is slow.
    But if I machine build them, I usually build it in some different material like cobblestone or a material that is unique compared to the environment it is in, and then replace that with bedrock in MCEdit.

While getting bedrock itself isn't possible without modding or cheating, I do not care how people play their game.
    Each to their own, if they have fun TMI'ing in stuff that is all and good in my book regardless :P

• Well it has been listed as an alternative if you want to use mods... With work you can get infinite amounts of of Reinforced stone (Equivalent exchange, make cobblestone into iron, and iron into copper / Tin as required.)
    And there are mods that allows you to make bedrockin a legitimate manner.
    And the cheap single reactor under Notch Bedrock :D

• How does construction foam, or the stone that it hardens into do, when it comes to a nuclear explosion?
    On par or below reinforced stone?

GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the
    generation. Social experiment.