IC2 release

• I dont really need to farm wood and food. So i don't need this mod, and i havent checked what else it does.

They're not "wood and food"... they're FUEL, man!
    Ferment whatever plant matter you are farming and distill it. It's nearly as good as BC fuel (same energy/tick but slightly less duration) and you don't need to find oil. Plus it introduces Peat engines (slow steam-like engines, bogs are made and maintained from dirt, sand and water). AND you can farm rubber trees, which is nice - all the rubber I'll ever need in one single chunk.

Eight block IDs, in the range of 197-208. Give it a look, I think there are some parts of it you could find very useful.

Eight block IDs, in the range of 197-208. Give it a look, I think there are some of it you could find very useful.

Just wanted to say, i currently need IDResolver cuz im basicly just to fkin lazy to get everything working corectly, truly i have 34 mods, like IC2 and BC and EE (i think ima gonna delete EE in some kind of time..) and most of all, i have a nice amount of addons and so on, if you really like mods, like me, you probably gonna look everyday for updates and stuff bla bla bla. Just saying that Minecraft should include more Block IDs cuz im basicly running out of it.. (most part i'd like railcraft cuz it is some kind more interesting than EE..) But everyone has his own mind. Think over by yourself and install those mods/addons which you want to play with.. or if you want, play Vanilla..)

:Energy Crystal:___:Energy Crystal: I'm crystalized!

• Yes, mod enthusiasts need to be choosy about which mods to use because of the limited block IDs. It would be nice if there were more available - or if Mojang had implemented a more dynamic means for using them - but in the meantime, it's up to mod developers to use Block IDs in the most sparing ways possible. An example would be the advanced machines addon - it uses ONE block ID that covers all three new machines, rahter than one for each machine as the Advanced Generator add-on does. Now, there may be a reason that I would not understand as a non-programmer, but the net effect on the end user is the same. The fewer Block IDs a mod or add-on uses, the less likely I am to have a conflict with another one down the road.

Now, I don't mind manually changing Block IDs to resolve a conflict, but I worry that this may be borrowing trouble - it solves the issue today, at the increased likelihood of casuing another conflict later.

• Official Post

Yes, mod enthusiasts need to be choosy about which mods to use because of the limited block IDs. It would be nice if there were more available - or if Mojang had implemented a more dynamic means for using them - but in the meantime, it's up to mod developers to use Block IDs in the most sparing ways possible. An example would be the advanced machines addon - it uses ONE block ID that covers all three new machines, rahter than one for each machine as the Advanced Generator add-on does. Now, there may be a reason that I would not understand as a non-programmer, but the net effect on the end user is the same. The fewer Block IDs a mod or add-on uses, the less likely I am to have a conflict with another one down the road.

Now, I don't mind manually changing Block IDs to resolve a conflict, but I worry that this may be borrowing trouble - it solves the issue today, at the increased likelihood of casuing another conflict later.

Jep, but there are engine-based limits on how effective one can compress content into a single ID. We're usually trying our best at saving IDs whereever possible, but sometimes it's not possible ^^
    I as well would love to see Mojang remove this limitation. But given they want to use Bukkit as ModAPI, this eventually wont happen.

• Jep, but there are engine-based limits on how effective one can compress content into a single ID. We're usually trying our best at saving IDs wherever possible, but sometimes it's not possible.

Oh, I do understand that - but I get the impression that some developers make a greater effort than others, and that some don't even try - you can tell because their mods use all sorts of block IDs all over the place and cause conflicts.
    It's beyond me to understand the specifics, I can only weigh in on its effect on the user.

• Your video sold me on the mod - and SirSengir is a commendable individual! He's always very helpful, willing to get to the bottom of any issues and hotfixes any discovered bugs right away.

• Im confused as on what bug is hindering the development of IC2 for 1.00

A bug in reality.sys which mis-allocates the vast majority of the masses products to a select few who already have too much. Though if you were ever assigned 1984 and/or animal farm as required reading you'd already know the later half of that. For what's holding up the former, check out the plain www.industrial-craft.net ( yeah you'll have to copy/paste it ;p ).

• Im confused as on what bug is hindering the development of IC2 for 1.00

Most likely, it's impatient Johnny-Come-Latelies posting "when is the 1.0 release?" questions.
    Alblaka's too busy banning you to work on the mod, I guess.

• Check out my forestry mod spotlight video, if you're interested in what more it does. Powering BC engines & IC generators with trees is something you may enjoy :).

Now i hope i wont run out of ids, bah ill drop millenaire anyway i dont need more stupid villagers :D

• Still im confused, How can there be 32k IDs for Items and "just" 255 for Blocks? :s

Just asking, but can't Eloraam and/or Spacetoad just incrase the Block IDs range? I mean they have forge and could basicly inplement.. everything?

• Still im confused, How can there be 32k IDs for Items and "just" 255 for Blocks?

My theory is because the WORLD is made up of blocks... items are more or less just tracked in inventory.
    It may be an oversimplification, it may be wildly inaccurate, but I'm sure there was a reason.

• Now i hope i wont run out of ids, bah ill drop millenaire anyway i dont need more stupid villagers :D

I think you've made a good choice - and after you try out all the fun stuff in Forestry you will be glad you got it!

(BTW, is that your Rock Band character in your avatar? I love that game.)

• Official Post

Still im confused, How can there be 32k IDs for Items and "just" 255 for Blocks? :s

Just asking, but can't Eloraam and/or Spacetoad just incrase the Block IDs range? I mean they have forge and could basicly inplement.. everything?

I don't quite understand the code either (Never jumped into it) but I've heard Eloraam and others in her IRC channel talking about trying to convince Jeb to expand the block ID range. Its currently 8 bits, which is where the 255 limit comes from. They've been discussing trying to get Jeb to bump it up by at least 4, which would bring it up to 4,096 block IDs. Of course, i'm half talking out my butt here based on what i've seen discussed by people WAY smarter than me, so I may be a bit wrong there.

The nice workaround thats used a lot right now by modders is the 'damage code' to use different blocks. Pickaxes take damage, and eventually break. You can somehow use that damage modifier to have many different blocks within the same ID. For example, Lapis and Squid Oil I believe are the same block ID, but different damage codes.

The problem is that the current implementation of MC isn't very modder friendly, the ONLY saving grace is how (relatively) easy it is to decompile java. What Mojang really needs to do is incorporate an 'official' modding API and mod-loading functionality.

In a perfect world, Modloader and Minecraft forge shouldn't be necessary. Putting in Modloader, ModloaderMP, Minecraft Forge, etc into the Minecraft.jar is too cumbersome for your average gamer to do, and the block ID problems mixed in makes modding really intimidating and hard to jump into as a newbie. Not to mention the pain that new versions of Minecraft bring, among other pitfalls. I can't tell you how many messages I get on Youtube from people who can't figure out how to install these mods. Granted, its not rocket science, but its more challenging than it could be.

If Mojang made modding easier on both the devs and the players, I feel like these mods would become infinitely more popular. If you could add a Minecraft Mod into your game as easily as you can add a WoW addon (Obviously apples and oranges there), the modding community would explode :). I think at the VERY least modloader functionality should be standard.

Thats all just my opinion though.

• Last I heard that was incoming but it'll be a few months. Supposedly Jeb's going to talk with the bukkit and forge developers to make an API.

• I don't quite understand the code either (Never jumped into it) but I've heard Eloraam and others in her IRC channel talking about trying to convince Jeb to expand the block ID range. Its currently 8 bits, which is where the 255 limit comes from. They've been discussing trying to get Jeb to bump it up by at least 4, which would bring it up to 4,096 block IDs. Of course, i'm half talking out my butt here based on what i've seen discussed by people WAY smarter than me, so I may be a bit wrong there.

So basicly, what i've understood is, that he could make it 16 bit and force it to be WAYS more smarter or better saying more convienient?

Basicly pumping it up like RAM from 256 mb to 4 gigs? (like as an example for it).
    Or did i understand something false?

(Looked into the code just for fun <.<, looks pretty darn nice what Notch and his team did there!!)

Also Jeb should implement ModLoader and MCForge and also ModLoaderMP to the base so that modding gets WAYS more easyier...

But everything stands in the nothing, everything could be excepted and probably inplemented..
    (sry for my bad english..)

• So basicly, what i've understood is, that he could make it 16 bit and force it to be WAYS more smarter or better saying more convienient?

Not... quite.
    An 8-bit address for block IDs means you have 2^8 possible numbers, for a range of 0-255. Using 16 bits might be overkill (2^16= 65536) but it would certainly be "future-proof". Perhaps with that and a standardized modding API, mod developers will be able to work in a particular range to avoid conflicts, and everyone will have plenty of elbow room.