How to set up a wind farm?

• Yes they are cheaper than solar, but people for some reason don't like setting windmills, which is easy in my opinion.

make a small compact setup and it will be better and cheaper than solar. Then you make your base at sky to avoid eu loss due distance, or use EV + Special cables (detector/splitter)
    if your base is too high, use 2 magnetizer to go up (+2 batbox + 2 solarpanel), easy and cheap way to go up

yeah.. last time I used them there wasn't a "hover mode" for jetpacks so I ended up building the wind farm largely over water and having to build "scaffolding" (aka: something cheap like wooden planks or cobble) around the area to stand on during construction.
    Although for some reason hover mode still doesn't work for me in 1.337b... hasn't been a huge issue as I went solar with the current world. Hopefully it'll work in the 1.0 port whenever that hits as i'll be probably using wind after the restart.
    good to know about the tin cables, it'll make the setup much cheaper to build.

• yeah.. last time I used them there wasn't a "hover mode" for jetpacks so I ended up building the wind farm largely over water and having to build "scaffolding" (aka: something cheap like wooden planks or cobble) around the area to stand on during construction.
    Although for some reason hover mode still doesn't work for me in 1.337b... hasn't been a huge issue as I went solar with the current world. Hopefully it'll work in the 1.0 port whenever that hits as i'll be probably using wind after the restart.
    good to know about the tin cables, it'll make the setup much cheaper to build.

There is a "hover" mode for the jetpack. It just doesn't hover... It takes you slowly back to ground level so you don't mess up the landing.
    I had trouble activating it at first, you have to hold the jump button and press (the default key binding) H to activate and de-activate hover mode.

• I'll give you two good reasons why solars (were) better than windmills.

1) Less intensive area of effect check (now just is it light, but before is there a path to the sky + time)
    2) (Was) Absolutely dead simple predictable. You knew /always/ how much you'd get as a minimum. Knowing the worst case scenario is a re-assuring thing.

• yeah.. last time I used them there wasn't a "hover mode" for jetpacks so I ended up building the wind farm largely over water and having to build "scaffolding" (aka: something cheap like wooden planks or cobble) around the area to stand on during construction.

A jetpack will never get you high enough, anyhow. As for how to build? Not hard at all - you just gotta do it the old school way, like we did back in the day.

You're going to want to get up there from time to time, for whatever reason, so build a central (one-block) pillar (you'll run the wire down one side, the ladder up the opposite side. Jump up, plcaing a block beneath you each time, until you get to the proper height (122 or 123). From there, hold shift and move to the edges and build the platform around you. It's how I did it (and much easier now that we can hold shift and not fall off the edges, which was my fate a few times when building a ten story tower back in MC 1.3!)

From there, it's much easier to set up the mills and the wiring. You can run the EV wire up to the platform in much the same way - jump up and drop it beneath you as you go.

• A jetpack will never get you high enough, anyhow. As for how to build? Not hard at all - you just gotta do it the old school way, like we did back in the day.

You're going to want to get up there from time to time, for whatever reason, so build a central (one-block) pillar (you'll run the wire down one side, the ladder up the opposite side. Jump up, plcaing a block beneath you each time, until you get to the proper height (122 or 123). From there, hold shift and move to the edges and build the platform around you. It's how I did it (and much easier now that we can hold shift and not fall off the edges, which was my fate a few times when building a ten story tower back in MC 1.3!)

From there, it's much easier to set up the mills and the wiring. You can run the EV wire up to the platform in much the same way - jump up and drop it beneath you as you go.

Bah, coulda swore the fuel jetpack didn't have that problem.
    Either way, shift and me have a mixed history... i'll be up in the air building something when the next thing I know i'm falling without having moved my shift finger.
    i've done things the jump and place way plenty of times in the past and was mainly looking at a way to avoid it.
    course one of these days i'm going to have to mess about with the new cables, there's bound to be a way to have a automatic power overflow happen now so I don't have to have two power grids. (one for machines, one for the mass fab)

• A jetpack will never get you high enough, anyhow. As for how to build? Not hard at all - you just gotta do it the old school way, like we did back in the day.

The electric jetpack has a height limit of 85... The normal one can fly up to 127 and beyond. (for a minimum flight time of 90 seconds)
    Obviously you are going to want to get up there from time to time. Adding a ladder for good measure. But when i have a jetpack i might as well use it to get up there faster.
    And i know all about "sneak" and jump place underneath me... I have been playing MC since the first Alphas...

For making tall pillars i use my jetpack and my spam macro to place blocks as fast as i can fly upwards. Whereas it takes a normal person up to 20 seconds from sea level to the sky limit it takes me about 3 seconds...

• The electric jetpack has a height limit of 85... The normal one can fly up to 127 and beyond.

Well how about that. I had built a fuel jetpack but never used it and had not realized it was that much better than the electric one.

• Instead of using jetpacks, use magnetizers.
    they are cheap and a fast way to go up. [faster than jetpacks]

well yes, but one has to get up there in the first place. Probably multiple times in my case as i'm always forgetting something :)
    aka: defiantly going to have a fuel jetpack on hand .

• Instead of using jetpacks, use magnetizers.
    they are cheap and a fast way to go up. [faster than jetpacks]

But you need to go down as well. The fastest way is... A jetpack ofc!
    Plus, refueling a jetpack is cheap considering all the saplings you are going to have that otherwise would be wasted.

• But you need to go down as well. The fastest way is... A jetpack ofc!
    Plus, refueling a jetpack is cheap considering all the saplings you are going to have that otherwise would be wasted.

Technically the fastest way is by gravity into a pool of water. From that height it'll need to be 2 deep and probably 3x3 so you won't miss it.

• Technically the fastest way is by gravity into a pool of water. From that height it'll need to be 2 deep and probably 3x3 so you won't miss it.

Or just have quantum boots... I've had the q-suit nether portal glitch send me way up above the top of the map, and still easily survive the fall :P (if I don't get kicked for "hacking"...)

• Technically the fastest way is by gravity into a pool of water. From that height it'll need to be 2 deep and probably 3x3 so you won't miss it.

Yeah, you got me on that one! Except i don't like water. It makes me move slowly! (For that i use a jetpack to get above the water level fast so i can sprint in mid air away from water) ;)

Or just have quantum boots... I've had the q-suit nether portal glitch send me way up above the top of the map, and still easily survive the fall :P (if I don't get kicked for "hacking"...)

I can't afford quantum stuff yet. And they use energy to dampen the fall right? I don't know how costly a fall of 64 tiles is but a jet pack is fueled by saplings and a few EU's to compress them into biofuel cells.
    The benefit is i can "jump" higher than 127 tiles where as you can jump 15 (IIRC) :P

• True, but you save a lot of fuel on the descent that way! :)
    QBoots don't seem to use that much energy for landing - more for jumping up.

• You can use rubber :Rubber Boots: boots for landing. they should stop all falldamage now as well. and it's a resource you already should have plenty of. I like to keep a pair on hand all the time, even with a jetpack in use... never know when you'll run out of fuel/energy.

• You can use rubber :Rubber Boots: boots for landing. they should stop all falldamage now as well. and it's a resource you already should have plenty of. I like to keep a pair on hand all the time, even with a jetpack in use... never know when you'll run out of fuel/energy.

Nope, if you fall more than a certain number of blocks even with rubber boots you will take damage. Read the source on that just now to check.
    However, the fall distance in source is not the number of blocks you have fallen and i don't know the conversion ratio. It might be blocks per x ticks or something, like i said, not sure.

• Some things you need to remember. You need to send the output to a transformer or storage block before you incur any loss from the mill so you can raise the packet size. 1 EU loss from a packet of 512 is nothing compared to 1 off of every packet of 1-5.

Secondly, bat-boxes can only output at 32eu/t. The gens can output up to 5 and (rarely) beyond. So if you use batboxes, you might be maxing them out if you use only 6 gens. I’d recommend using transformers. Even a LV transformer (cheaper to make than a batbox) can output at a RATE of 128/t, and you can choose whether to use the 32 or 128 packet sizes. (I’d go for the latter, but that uses gold cables.)

And of course always use the proper wiring for the proper voltages. Copper for LV, Gold for MV, and HV wire for HV and EV.

Most of the issues about wind farms are entire perceptual:
    1: “My base isn’t that freaking high!” It doesn’t have to be! Just the wind farm. You can use MV transformers and HV cables fairly cheaply to get the power down to the ground using HV flow.
    2: “You need to space them all out, it’ll look like crap!” If you want to space EACH and EVERY one out, yes it’ll use too much wire and look like garbage. Just look at SpwnX’s setup. Clusters man, clusters! You’ll get only minimal loss and the compact nature will absolutely murder Solar in the same vertical space.
    3: “Long distance + low voltage wiring = big headache” This is the only really legitimate grievence. You have three options for lossless wiring until you get to the xformer. A: Use tin. Yes, you’ll fizzle some wires every so often but the wires are beyond cheap and they’ll work for long lengths. B: Use diamond fiber. They’re expensive, but they’re also good for long distances. C: Use copper and make shorter towers. Have a stack of 4 clusters before the power heads into the transformer. Maybe add another 4 lengths of wire before the next transformer. (Haven’t tried that…)

Hrmm… are there any side-effects to redstoning windgens?

Bottom line is, windgens are far easier to setup and use than people make out.