When to use Extreme Voltage?

• Glass Fibre is best... period.

Not sure if that was even under consideration here... but, no matter HOW FAR you want to transport energy, it will always be more efficient to use fiber cable with HV, than to use HV cable with EV. You would lose the entire EV packet (2048 EUs) over an HV cable before fiber cable would lose even 12.5% of it's load.

When is it best to use EV? I have no idea... maybe if you want to overload your mass fab it'd be the best attempt at it. Other than that, no clue.

• I think about the only way I could be convinced to run HV cable places is if luminators accepted 2048 packets for input, OR if there were something like a highspeed rail line/zipway/etc that required power along it's length from a wire...

• aww my post got deleted... it didnt have any cursing or anything worse then what others said in this thread :( ..can i get a response as to why it was deleted from a moderator

• I'm going to be honest.. I don't have a lot of fiber cable... so if I ever DID have the need to run cable for a few miles, I'd do it with copper and a ton of LV transformers, since I have a HUGE copper surplus, and rubber/wood is never in short supply. :rolleyes:

• I'm going to be honest.. I don't have a lot of fiber cable... so if I ever DID have the need to run cable for a few miles, I'd do it with copper and a ton of LV transformers, since I have a HUGE copper surplus, and rubber/wood is never in short supply. :rolleyes:

I wonder about the hit on the CPU using these two approaches... One calc for the whole run or one calc for every 5 blocks of the run...

• I've yet to see an actual /Flame war/ on here. Then again maybe having seen them on nntp (usenet) and other more drama prone messageboards my standards might be a bit high.

My standards for a flamewar:
    * Both sides attack the other user
    * Optional: At least one side ignores the argument (this is more of a warning flag)

Hum... US politics is a flamewar.

• I've yet to see an actual /Flame war/ on here. Then again maybe having seen them on nntp (usenet) and other more drama prone messageboards my standards might be a bit high.

My standards for a flamewar:
    * Both sides attack the other user
    * Optional: At least one side ignores the argument (this is more of a warning flag)

Hum... US politics is a flamewar.

LOL

But yeah I guess my definition is a little more lax than yours. To me a flame war is simply two sides arguing while throwing random insults(which by my definition may actually be less than anyone elses). But like everything on the net, there are tiers(no pun intended), and flame wars are no different. Guess I'm too used to 4chan flame wars....those can get ugly... :(

• ...every time I find HeadHunter in a flame war it is suprisingly interesting to read. And I find myself on his side more often.

Thank you, but I will say that this is not a "flame war". I have my opinions, I try to support them rationally, and I find that some people adhere as ardently to a dissenting opinion.
    The problem comes when people cannot realize that one of the things I do is force people to challenge their own conceptions and beliefs. If one's opinion can hold up to my scrutiny, even if I don't agree with it, I can accept it as valid.
    If one's response to that scrutiny is to turn away from the issue and attack me personally, well then the gloves come off.

I've had some strong and spirited discussions with people who've turned into friends when we find that our common ground is broader than the areas in which we disagree.

In the words of Jack Handey: "A man doesn't automatically get my respect. He has to get down in the dirt and beg for it." :p

• Well again my definition of Flame War is much more lax than most might have. But please don't say "challenge someones beliefs"....I get enough of that from my AP Comp teacher. (I agree but it's the weekend, my brain doesn't like to remember school on the weekend :D )

• Sorry, my friend, but it's an important part of life. Far too many people hold beliefs they don't even understand.
    Ask someone what they believe, they'll be glad to go on for hours telling you.
    Ask them why, far fewer will have an answer.
    Find the inconsistencies in those beliefs and point them out, and most people get upset.

How can anyone believe something that doesn't even fit into their own intellectual structure? That's why I disagree with the notion that "everyone is entitled to their own opinion" -= because opinions can be (and often are) simply wrong. In days past, the "opinion" that the Sun revolved around the Earth, and the "opinion" that the Earth was flat, were accepted so broadly that they were considered fact. Those who challenged those opinions were reviled, despite their ability to back up their findings.

It would be more accurate to say "everyone is entitled to defend their opinion" - because you cannot hold that which you cannot keep.

• YAY! Philosophy! I've seen plenty of people hold onto their fundamentally flawed beliefs no matter how much damning evidence is given to the contrary. Isn’t that the principle behind Faith?

I enjoy arguing so if the person can at least muster a decent defense for their notions, I’ll muster some respect for them. My version is: “Everyone is entitled to their informed opinion.” Since as you’ve already illustrated, arguing with an imbecile is no kind of fun at all.

My answer to the question posed: Use EV whenever feasible, unless you have ready access to glass-fiber. I did my own rather crappy calculations and once you’ve gotten past the lossless lengths, the higher the voltage (used with appropriate wires) the better. The glass-fiber is of course the exception to this rule, but extra-long lengths are impractical until you really start producing indust-diamons.

• ... the "opinion" that the Earth was flat, were accepted so broadly that they were considered fact. Those who challenged those opinions were reviled, despite their ability to back up their findings.

I have heard (and then read) different though, the notion that the earth was flat wasn't as widespread as we have been taught to believe. Maybe you should do some research into that.
    And it IS very nice to see that nobody is perfect, even HeadHunter can be wrong. :D (Finally, payback)

• I have heard (and then read) different though, the notion that the earth was flat wasn't as widespread as we have been taught to believe. Maybe you should do some research into that.

Care to cite a source?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth
    http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Flat_Earth

And it IS very nice to see that nobody is perfect, even HeadHunter can be wrong. :D (Finally, payback)

I can, but it's rare. And this is not one of those cases, so hold your gloating at least until you can substaniate your claim.

• I enjoy arguing so if the person can at least muster a decent defense for their notions, I’ll muster some respect for them. My version is: “Everyone is entitled to their informed opinion.” Since as you’ve already illustrated, arguing with an imbecile is no kind of fun at all.

Agreed on all of that.

As Dogbert says: "Don't argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." surprisingly, Dogbert is convinced that higher minds can be dragged down to that level - I disagree.
    Sometimes, it can be fun to give them enough rope. If done correctly, they'll do the work for you!

• I still remember headhunter claiming he measured 500 eu/tick from 16 windgens and that it was accurate....

Hey, look who just rode in! Ir's the One T-Rick Pony! :rolleyes:

When he doesn't understand what someone's trying to say, he'll drag it into every thread he can! "Look at ME!" shouts the One T-Rick Pony.
    What's the matter, did you get lonely because no one wanted to discuss the issue any longer?

Let's hear three cheers for the Sore Winner!