New item-handling schematic - with new Redpower awesomeness!

• I've reworked my item handling plans in light of the new Redpower sorting machines in pr4. I think it really shows the power of the pr4 tubes (would have taken like 5x as much BC piping to do this).

The main new feature is the "item bus." The only way into that section of tubing is via sorting machines, and the only way out is through colored tubes. That means basically that you only need one main tube to connect everything together. Instead of having one chest, and a dedicated pipe to send stuff to the macerators (and another for each additional set of machinery), you can just configure the sorting machine to tag the item with the macerator's color, and send it off. The product can even return over the same tube! Even better the stuff coming out of the machines can be sent to multiple destinations without having to build more dedicated piping.

The callouts on the sorting machines show what color it's using to tag what.

• This is where the versatility of RedPower tubes over Buildcraft pipes really shines.
    Though I must say that the BC Logistics Pipes add-on can trump that in many cases (particularly crafting).

• interesting layout. I use teleport pipes and diamond pipe to create something similar. The center of my system is a backbone looking construct of pipes: teleport in -> gold -> diamond -> 2x stone -> diamond ->2x stone -> diamond -> 2x stone - diamond -> teleport out to mass storage/default chest. Off of each diamond pipe can be up to 4 teleport pipes going to different machine rooms. Machine rooms have 2 sets of pipes. The input teleport->gold->N x insertion -> teleport to mass storage for overflow. Then there is a output line that redirects back to the start of the backbone. Since everything goes through that main backbone line it makes a good way to monitor how mining is doing.

I think I need to do some screen shots.

• interesting layout. I use teleport pipes and diamond pipe to create something similar. The center of my system is a backbone looking construct of pipes: teleport in -> gold -> diamond -> 2x stone -> diamond ->2x stone -> diamond -> 2x stone - diamond -> teleport out to mass storage/default chest. Off of each diamond pipe can be up to 4 teleport pipes going to different machine rooms. Machine rooms have 2 sets of pipes. The input teleport->gold->N x insertion -> teleport to mass storage for overflow. Then there is a output line that redirects back to the start of the backbone. Since everything goes through that main backbone line it makes a good way to monitor how mining is doing.

I think I need to do some screen shots.

I only like to use the TP pipes for long distance stuff (where you HAVE to use them due to the way the game works). Feels too much like cheating (IMO) otherwise. :)

The main limitation that I see with doing it the way you are is that a certain item is always handled the same way, whereas with the sorting machines, you can handle the same item differently depending on where it's coming from. In my case, cobble overflowing from storage gets sent to a factory, and cobble coming out of there goes to be macerated (through the same tubes). Plus with the manual input you can send the same item to more than one place - for example, cobble needs to be able to end up in a macerator or a furnace.

Granted, none of this is possible to implement until IC is updated to MC1.0, so what you've got is probably the best you can do right now :)

• Uhh, the image is broken for me, but I really do think that things like this show how Redpower is superior to BC. Except for those times when you want to do really weird shit with your things when you move them around, the automatic routing is far better than having to babysit your items along the route with iron pipes, overflow catchers with obsidian pipes, and the like. However, Buildcraft is still used as the dominant mod on servers due to RP's lack of autocrafting and mining systems, namely a quarry.

• Uhh, the image is broken for me, but I really do think that things like this show how Redpower is superior to BC. Except for those times when you want to do really weird shit with your things when you move them around, the automatic routing is far better than having to babysit your items along the route with iron pipes, overflow catchers with obsidian pipes, and the like. However, Buildcraft is still used as the dominant mod on servers due to RP's lack of autocrafting and mining systems, namely a quarry.

Quarry will come when Eloraam gets the frames going. Autocrafting, I have no idea of her plans with that.

Should work now... for some reason my web server was responding to everything with resets :P

• I've found that RedPower is better for sorting. But Logistics Pipes are better for inventory management and crafting (and overall transportation, but that's just a personal preference).

Nice system you have there. I've yet to set my sorting system back up, but they are always so much fun to make.

• This is a great design and I use something similar in my ssp world. I did think you were sending uranium to your kitchen for a moment though 8) (The two yellows are a little close in color).

• I have a similar setup. Only question I have is; how do you have the 'Ready Storage Chests' setup in your workshop? Is it just a handful of boxes with the materials you think you'll need? Or do you have some sort of requester system in place? If it's just a handful of boxes, how do you keep them filled? Do you devote an entire box to iron, and another to tin? RP isn't capable (yet!) of knowing how many items you took out of a box, so can't simply request replacements, like logistics pipes can...

I would love to know more about this part of your system.

• Great setup! I'm attempting to emulate this in my world. You definitely have a much better understanding of how tubes/machines work than I do. I have a couple of questions about the setup. How do items enter the tubes from the IC2 machines? Do they each need a filter/transposer, or is there a retriever somewhere that pulls them out? Also can you explain your factories? If you could supply some screenshots of your setup it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Sarzec

• Can I just get a world save or a .schematic file? I want to see this in Minecraft, will make it easier to understand.