[Suggestion (potential Addon)] Iridium Drill

• Alright, I have looked around extensively for this and couldn't find anything, so here I go.

By combining a regular Drill with 3 Iridium Plates, on top of an advanced circuit, you obtain a drill with 2x EU capacity (requires 20 SU-Batteries to recharge) and a special ability.

:Rubber: :Iridium: :Rubber:
    :Iridium: :Mining Drill: :Iridium:

:Rubber: :Advanced Circuit: :Rubber:

(Don't mind the Rubber, used it as a placeholder.)

But what's this special ability that I was talking about? Well, due to the properties of Iridium and the Adv. Circuit, the Drill has the ability to enter "Overdrive Mode," similar in execution to EqEx's tools (f.e Destruction Catalyst), by clicking this key [configurable] the Drill will begin to charge it's internal capacitors with EU that it will take from the Drill's rechargeable storage to the point of about 90 EU. As well, this internal storage can be transferred back to the regular storage by the same key, but with the loss of 1 EU per 10 EU transferred back.

This "Overdrive Mode" entails the ability to drill a 3x3 area in one go for 9 EU stored away in it's internal "battery" (time vs. convenience). So in this way, you can drill 10 3x3 squares before the capacitors run dry again and need to be recharged.

Opinions/critiques are welcome.

(P.S If I had the time to, I would turn this into an addon myself, but I figured I might as well leave this here for a more experienced modder.)

• I liked the overdrive mode till yuo said the 3x3. I think an overdrive mode where it charges to a point, then drills extremely fast(insane). It would, of course, waste some energy in the charging process for /balance/ reasons.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• I liked the overdrive mode till yuo said the 3x3. I think an overdrive mode where it charges to a point, then drills extremely fast(insane). It would, of course, waste some energy in the charging process for /balance/ reasons.

Hmm... Point. What about the resulting force of the drill instead drills three blocks forwards? And yes, perhaps 1 EU wasted per 10 charged, and same rate stands for moving the energy back to the normal reservoir?

• I like the idea minus the 3x3 deal. Make it decimate any block instantly at the cost of 30x the EU of the diamond drill then we are in business?

As for the recipe? Make it the same as the regular mining drill but replace the refined iron with iridium, the battery with a lapo crystal and the circuit with an adv circuit.

• Alright. Scrap the 3x3 and change up the materials, and the EU cost.
    :Rubber: :Iridium: :Iridium:
    :Iridium: :Advanced Circuit: :Iridium:

:Energy Crystal: :Iridium: :Rubber:

/\
    |
    Something like this then? With the :Energy Crystal: meaning the Lapotron?

• Yeah, except the shape is that of a chainsaw. But yes.

EDIT: In fact, i kinda like this idea enough that i wanna have a stab at it... Gonna need to learn IC2 addon making but the implementation seems rather simple.
    Though, it's Christmas eve tomorrow so that will have to happen on Christmas day or something.

• Yeah, except the shape is that of a chainsaw. But yes.

EDIT: In fact, i kinda like this idea enough that i wanna have a stab at it... Gonna need to learn IC2 addon making but the implementation seems rather simple.
    Though, it's Christmas eve tomorrow so that will have to happen on Christmas day or something.

Whoops. I was a little TOO tired when I wrote that. Go ahead, by all means. Christmas eve is tonight for me.

• to overpowed i think and another idea like this was already turned down.

still rocking the GMA 950 card :D overclocked to the point of smoking. :huh: hahahahaha now i got my 525m now that thing does work 8) :P :D

• to overpowed i think and another idea like this was already turned down.

As an addon you can make a nuclear bomb that destroys the entire planet. I fail to see your point and you clearly forgot to consider that this could become an addon.
    Also, i disagree with everything you said. I even disagree with your name. (Because I CAN, i don't even remember what your name was)

Disclaimer:

I am totally and utterly Christmas eve drunk, anything i post today might be full of spelling errors and typos and ramblings and other hilarity.

• As an addon you can make a nuclear bomb that destroys the entire planet. I fail to see your point and you clearly forgot to consider that this could become an addon.
    Also, i disagree with everything you said. I even disagree with your name. (Because I CAN, i don't even remember what your name was)

Disclaimer:

I am totally and utterly Christmas eve drunk, anything i post today might be full of spelling errors and typos and ramblings and other hilarity.

so your one of those people who drink and eat till they get sick then sleep for the rest of the day?

still rocking the GMA 950 card :D overclocked to the point of smoking. :huh: hahahahaha now i got my 525m now that thing does work 8) :P :D

• Isn't AOE mining already implemented as a ton of throwable stiky dynamite?
    Its crafted easilly, why don't you guys use them?
    Maybe i like EE idea but don't like its "magic" side, but only thing that we could add from it is, maybe, transmutation using that "brewing stand" thingy or add smthing our, but not more.

• so your one of those people who drink and eat till they get sick then sleep for the rest of the day?

Nah, i am one of those people who spend time with friends and family from 1pm to 8pm watching donald duck and eating lots of food and giving presents and have a good time. Then we open up the bar and drink and have fun until the late hour.
    I drink moderately. But i don't drink that often and as such i tend to end up really drunk when the clock hits 2am-3am.

diamond drill already uber powerfull, only application for iridium is decreased energy consumption, not speed, damage or AOE mining.

IMHO, Diamond drill isn't powerful enough. And a batpack will outlast my inventory space so i don't have any problems with energy consumption. There just comes a time when you want to dig really fast to get back to your other projects, mining becomes quite boring after a while.
    I could use a BuildCraft quarry but since i am using my OreVeins mod i would only really use a quarry on top of a coal vein. (Guess what? I made coal that way because of the quarry, now the quarry is used as intended!)

Isn't AOE mining already implemented as a ton of throwable stiky dynamite?
    Its crafted easilly, why don't you guys use them?
    Maybe i like EE idea but don't like its "magic" side, but only thing that we could add from it is, maybe, transmutation using that "brewing stand" thingy or add smthing our, but not more.

I mine with dynamite all the time... Even so, digging all the holes to throw the dynamite into is on it's own rather boring.
    And it's not like you get iridium in the first couple of days on IC2.

Even so, digging all the holes to throw the dynamite into is on it's own rather boring.

Why you should if dynamite does everything for you, just need to throw it?

• Why you should if dynamite does everything for you, just need to throw it?

Because dynamite acts on a 3x3x3 area. Throwing it on the surface is wasteful.
    And it's not like i have an endless supply of gunpowder because i haven't made a mob grinder yet. Nor do i intend to until i have reached a stage where i wouldn't gain infinite power from doing such a thing early. Mob farms to get gunpowder is unbalanced and as such i prefer not to cheat myself.

Even so, why would i throw them on the surface... It is still wasteful and takes a lot longer to clear an area than digging into the 3x3x3 block i want to have removed.

Because dynamite acts on a 3x3x3 area. Throwing it on the surface is wasteful.

And it's not like i have an endless supply of gunpowder because i haven't made a mob grinder yet. Nor do i intend to until i have reached a stage where i wouldn't gain infinite power from doing such a thing early. Mob farms to get gunpowder is unbalanced and as such i prefer not to cheat myself.

It kinda counting how big your grinder is, but, anyways, after having diamond armor and a diamond sword, or even a light saber, you won't need any of grinders, as killing creepers will become easy and you'll get yourself dynamite ti mine the whole day before next night comes.

Or just damn farm a ton of those, that would do too. As light saber is re-chargeble, you don't need much armor even...

• It kinda counting how big your grinder is, but, anyways, after having diamond armor and a diamond sword, or even a light saber, you won't need any of grinders, as killing creepers will become easy and you'll get yourself dynamite ti mine the whole day before next night comes.

Or just damn farm a ton of those, that would do too. As light saber is re-chargeble, you don't need much armor even...

Well, you aren't blasting many long tunnels then. I blast tunnels that are over 500 tiles long, to do that i need 167 sticks of dynamite. That is ~70 gunpowder to make one tunnel.
    If i didn't cut holes then i would have to use 500 sticks of dynamite... See what i mean by waste?
    As for diamond armor and diamond tools and diamond period. That would be fine and dandy if only one had lots of diamond to spare...
    And i don't find much joy in manually killing mobs. The odd gunpowder i get from creepers is enough for about 64 sticks of dynamite to get myself started with blasting but the real source of gunpowder i get from redstone and coal dust recipe.

• Well, you aren't blasting many long tunnels then. I blast tunnels that are over 500 tiles long, to do that i need 167 sticks of dynamite. That is ~70 gunpowder to make one tunnel.
    If i didn't cut holes then i would have to use 500 sticks of dynamite... See what i mean by waste?
    As for diamond armor and diamond tools and diamond period. That would be fine and dandy if only one had lots of diamond to spare...
    And i don't find much joy in manually killing mobs. The odd gunpowder i get from creepers is enough for about 64 sticks of dynamite to get myself started with blasting but the real source of gunpowder i get from redstone and coal dust recipe.

+1