automatic water gen with red power

• i did it i read several threads that said it was im possible but i created a system that places buckets in water gen then takes then out with redpower

just put 2 retrivers on the tubing might post a pic later if i can figure out how to....

still rocking the GMA 950 card :D overclocked to the point of smoking. :huh: hahahahaha now i got my 525m now that thing does work 8) :P :D

• As of Redpower 2's pr4 release, it is definitely possible to feed water-filled buckets to a system of watermills, yes. I know this, because I have also done it.

• Considering that Direwolf20 does the same thing with lava buckets in his recent Let's Play world, I'm not sure who would think it was impossible. I imagine it's done much the same way, with filters?

• Basically, you feed a line of tubes below the water mills. At the beginning, you have filter which is attached to a deployer which grabs water form an infinite water pool. The filter needs to be set to grab water buckets. After all the water mills at the other end, you have a retriever which should retrieve empty buckets and feed them back into the deployer. Here are a few images:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/46/20120103035303.png/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/560/20120103035316.png/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/80/20120103035240.png/

Mind though, with this many water gens, it causes some major performance issues, as I dropped from a solid 60 fps to 40 fps while the system was running at a pulse a second. With a much larger system (+32 water gens) I could imagine massive lagg.

• Considering that Direwolf20 does the same thing with lava buckets in his recent Let's Play world, I'm not sure who would think it was impossible. I imagine it's done much the same way, with filters?

It might have been impossible in the past.

• I know that it takes RedPower machines to do it, so before that, there wasn't any easy way. I think that's why Pigalot created the Bucket Filler add-on before. That's still a great add-on but it's nice to see that there are ways to do it within the mods themselves, now.

• even though it was easily possible i didnt see a forum post so i thought i might as well post it and if anything the water mill gives you 2 recipies so you can produce a constant 6 eu per secound riviling 12 solars....... sure you need other stuff and it needs to be set up but its way cheaper than 12 solar panels........

still rocking the GMA 950 card :D overclocked to the point of smoking. :huh: hahahahaha now i got my 525m now that thing does work 8) :P :D

• It might have been impossible in the past.

yes i searched about wind mill setups on the forum and came across a couple threads that said it it was impossible for now. with my lack of experince in ic2 rp2 and making compact effecient contrations i put it to the test and i did it in about 20 mins. yes my orinal contraption took up alot of space and wasnt efficent but i thought it was worth posting

• I used to something similar with EE and lava buckets. I believe it also required the addition pipes BC mod.

I'm in the process of making of making a generator room based on this on my neighborhood server. 128 EU/t expandable in blocks of 64 or 128 EU. The only thing about it is that it is expensive. ~80 buckets, 64 water generators, 8 bat boxes, and the red power items. The very painful part is the 8 ender pearls. I can never seem to find them.

• I used to something similar with EE and lava buckets. I believe it also required the addition pipes BC mod.

I'm in the process of making of making a generator room based on this on my neighborhood server. 128 EU/t expandable in blocks of 64 or 128 EU. The only thing about it is that it is expensive. ~80 buckets, 64 water generators, 8 bat boxes, and the red power items. The very painful part is the 8 ender pearls. I can never seem to find them.

i didnt use addtional pipes only rp2. and thats pretty massive watch out for lag i heard water gens cause alot. and ender pearls ar somewhat difficult to find to but i found 2 my 3rd night or somthing

• I build such fancy things sometimes too... but they aren't effective and produce really low amounts and the wiring is a bit tricky (normally I don't waste glass-fibre for this^^).

i didnt use addtional pipes only rp2. and thats pretty massive watch out for lag i heard water gens cause alot. and ender pearls ar somewhat difficult to find to but i found 2 my 3rd night or somthing

You only need

1 Deployer, 1 Filter, 1 Retriever, N Buckets, N Watermills, N + 5 Tubes (I thought I needed 5).

N is the number of watermills. 1 Retriever could easily work about 20-25 Watermills, producing 50 EU/t.

I compare the design towards nuclear and it's just totally OP (that's the reason I want watermills to drop to 1 EU/t in manned mode, while working twice as long with one bucket).

30 Watermills create 60 EU/t. You only need 240 Refined Iron, 30 Batteries (60 Redstone, 120 Tin, 30 Cables) and a little stuff for the RP stuff and 30 Buckets made of tin. Compare this to a nuclear reactor and it easily wins and is totally easy to set up.

• I only used glass fiber as a test part :P

I've already got ideas for improved designs and I'll be testing those out later. What I'm trying to do is create things using only IC2 items, not relying on other mods to assist with this(other than NEI for getting items).

I'll post a video of that once I get it done. Maybe I should invest in buying Fraps if I'm gonna be doing this more often :P

ETA: I've made a more improved method made with cheaper parts. The new method produces ~70 EU per second and consists of 25 watermills, 4 LV transformers, and(I think) 20 insulated copper cables. I'll attach a pic for everyone to see.

I'm making my "purpose"(for the lack of a better phrase) to find make designs that will beat out Solar Panels as the go-to free energy. I have nothing against Solar Panels, I just like there to be other options that can beat it out :P

• I know the purpose :P

And waters-gens are fine, but they get insanely OP if you use them in manned mode. Normal water-towers are fine and create good energy at low costs with some setup necessary.

Actually what you did is to produce 2,3 EU/t (70 EU per second) while using a lot of space and materials. Pop down 5 Solars to achieve the same. And while the solars themself are more costly you don't need any of the wiring, which again gives some of the ressources back you spent on the more expensive solars.

• True, the design could be done with fewer Solars, however my design is a constant stream of EU, while Solars only work during clear weather. So, it's a give and take. I'd still like to have my design, as it is made of cheaper goods :P

• The other benefit is that you can, with some digging, set all this up at your underground lair next to your xp grinder where solar is impractical.

I played for about an hour with this tonight including trying to incorporate a sticky piston to move the water mill to alternate the input/output from the bottom facing but the rotten thing refused to budge! Haven't played with retrievers yet so didn't think to use them. Running a small nuke now :) 40 EU/t at eff2 :)

GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment or chain letter? This is left as an exercise for the reader.

Efficiency 3, 50% duty cycle. SMP friendly. Alternate two of them slowly with an rp2 sequencer for a steady 120 EU/t.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1j10101001501521s1r11r10

• I tried making an automatic water gen system with 16 gens running constantly, and does work, but its not free. You'll pay for it with your FPS if you make too many of them.

• I tried making an automatic water gen system with 16 gens running constantly, and does work, but its not free. You'll pay for it with your FPS if you make too many of them.

ya im only going to have 16 since that is 32 eu/t. but i havent noticed a drop in fps at all...... :thumbup: