[Suggestion] Magrail

• The mining laser can certainly be used as a weapon, but it does rather terrible damage compared to the bow (which makes sense as a balancing aspect)

As an alternative as a weapon, it would fire pellets for a considerable amount of damage, it would also require an HV to charge, and would be at tier with say the quantum suit. It should -also- require iridium to make.

It would do no block damage, but would do 9 hearts of damage, with about twice the range and speed of a bow, no charge up, but a 3 second cooldown (if that's even possible to code with 'tools')

Recipe for the pellets could be two advanced alloys stacked on top of each other, to make 16 rounds, up to a stack of 64. It would store 1 million EU, and spend 2.5k EU per shot.

Perhaps a sound similiar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTLt_6LGeLU

Something piercing and powerful sounding.

• The mining laser can certainly be used as a weapon, but it does rather terrible damage compared to the bow (which makes sense as a balancing aspect)

Doesn't long range mode deal 10 hearts of damage, thus one-hitting most mobs?

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• We need a graph to show the relative loss in damage the laser does, over range, and how a bow compares. Just to see where they are equal, and the bow surpasses.

... I might do that sometime. Maybe.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• It's really quite abysmal at a range that you would go for range attack strategies.

10 blocks or less, you're just crippling yourself by using a ranged weapon.

Expansion?

• I thought you were going to suggest Maglev trains or something when I saw "Magrail." Is the concept supposed to be similar to a Railgun? A gun that fires projectiles via Electromagnetism?

╯( °□° ) ╯ ┻━┻

• I thought you were going to suggest Maglev trains or something when I saw "Magrail." Is the concept supposed to be similar to a Railgun? A gun that fires projectiles via Electromagnetism?

Correct.

Magrail, Railgun, Gauss Rifle, whatever you want to call it.

Correct.

I already asked a railgun, but i was told that its a little overpowered.
    Anyways, i think its better to wait for industralconflict, then we can at least see whats already done.

• Actually the Bow starts surpassing the mining-laser at ranges you don't want to use a bow. I guess it's about 15 - 20 Blocks where the laser doesn't two-shot most things. About 5 Blocks you onehit most enemies outside the nether (zombie-pigmen are a little tough).

So I don't see a reason in regards to bow-comparison. An Enchanted Bow is somehow different since it is able to oneshot some enemies even at slightly larger distances then a mining-laser.

And I guess most weapons in Industrial-Conflict will behave similar in losing efficiency over distance (well... any not selfpropelled projectile will lose power over distance...). So the weapons will also do less damage over large ranges, but a rifle might still be able to one-hit most things, even over large-distances.

And I guess most weapons in Industrial-Conflict will behave similar in losing efficiency over distance (well... any not selfpropelled projectile will lose power over distance...). So the weapons will also do less damage over large ranges, but a rifle might still be able to one-hit most things, even over large-distances.

If my memory doesn't fail me and i understood what he said correctly, Alblaka told that it wont be as much weapons as types of ammo and ability to fill your clip as you like. I think that loosing damage will affect only laser weapons, if there will be any existing.

• If my memory doesn't fail me and i understood what he said correctly, Alblaka told that it wont be as much weapons as types of ammo and ability to fill your clip as you like. I think that loosing damage will affect only laser weapons, if there will be any existing.

Hmm... 3 weapons with 3 different types of ammos was his first hint. But since there might be rocket-launchers we would have 4 weapons, or he replaces either machine-gun, rifle or shotgun with the rocket-launcher.

Actually a projectile weapon loses power over distances much faster than a good laser. The laser might lose it's focus if made in china, but a good german laser will still burn you over quite some distance :P (actually we build the mirror for the newest space-observatory... so building a laser is piece of cake). But well... since distance isn't that real in the first place (one block = 1m, so a rifle should be able to penetrate a wall at 1500m :P). But the shotgun would lose even against the bow, since they are made for distances between 10 and 20m, while a longbow could reach way further (well... the projectiles of the shotgun also reach further but don't hit anything^^).

So basically the small range of the laser-rifle and lack of distance-loss of the bow isn't real in the first place. The loss of all weapons based upon the distances you normally fight in minecraft are near zero. But since the mining-laser isn't meant for warfare it's reasonable to have him lose power quite fast over distance. But if you want to compare. Just shoot straight into the wall and count the blocks you pierce in long-range mode... it just doesn't make sense that you don't kill a zombie with one shot if it's 10 blocks away^^.

• Correct.

Magrail isn't a type of gun. Railgun uses electromagnetic rails to accelerate a projectile. Gauss guns use electromagnetic coils. Railguns are far more powerful than gauss guns, but are much more difficult to make. The US navy has 2 railguns ATM, both are mounted on Destroyer class ships. Both of those are stuffed with rechargable batteries. About 50% of the ship is pure batteries. However, they can hit any target on the planet in just a few minutes. Gauss guns are easy to make, but are quite weak. The reason why they aren't used is because it's impractical, it's weaker than a typical gunpowder based weapon, and more expensive to make, and there isn't really a good way to store energy for them. It would be like a gun that you can only hold 10 bullets for, and is weaker than a submachine gun, yet firing as fast as a pistol.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.