[Suggestion] Treadmills

• Wow, I'm on a roll here, two suggestions within an hour!

OK, another idea from me, just thought it up.

As we all know, Static boots were recently implemented into IC2. These boots, when equipped, will generate very small amounts of electricity when you run, this electricity will go into a Batpack or a Lappack if you have one equipped. So, I had the idea, what if this could be made into a form of generator?

And so I came up with the idea for Treadmills.

Treadmills could be blocks that generate a very small amount of EU when a player or a mob walks over it. If possible, treadmills could move in a certain direction (like a real one) if activated by redstone current. This means that if you run on the treadmill while its activated, you stay in place and generate a very small amount of EU. (I confess, I do want a pig-powered factory setup :P)

OK, that's all from me.

Please reply with your thoughts and suggestions!
    theGeneralRowboat :)

• A pig powered factory could be interesting...

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• perhaps when hitting it with a redstone signal it could change state like this:

Initial: Stopped
    Pulse 1: Forward
    Pulse 2: Stopped
    Pulse 3: Backwards
    Pulse 4: Stopped
    Pulse 5: Forward

and so on and such forth.

• Official Post

Very interesting!
    What if by default, it's in 'generator' mode, and moving players, mobs or possibly items flowing in water cause it to generate a little power, and when redstoned it changes to 'conveyor' mode, using a little EU to move whatever's on top of it in the direction it's facing?

with moving items you can make endless cycle using RP or BC pipes

• hey thats an idea!

Very interesting!
    What if by default, it's in 'generator' mode, and moving players, mobs or possibly items flowing in water cause it to generate a little power, and when redstoned it changes to 'conveyor' mode, using a little EU to move whatever's on top of it in the direction it's facing?

• with moving items you can make endless cycle using RP or BC pipes

And what? It would be no powerful than watermill in still water :)
    Using other mods you can do many things including factory of self reproducing robots, eating nearby land ;)

• with moving items you can make endless cycle using RP or BC pipes

We can do the infinite buckets watermill thing now with that system too tho, this would probably just be an really low voltage version tho I suppose...

Sounds amusing, rig one with an wall or fence post or something behind it as an treadmill, plus an conveyor belt mode could be amusing for other projects!

• ...and now I want to capture an bunch of creepers and force them to power my house 8|
    Revenge shall be mine you exploding shrubs of doom! :P

• it would be interesting to make my 75by75 3 story tall monster sky trap out of treadmill blocks :p maybe at 100% capacity it could generate around 150 EU/t? or make a Chicken Powered facility for energy and eggs.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• Haha, I love this idea!

The amount of creativity that could go into this to generate as much EU as possible is almost endless!

+1 for me!

EXP farm that also generates EU along the way to delivering the mobs to their deaths?! Want.

Only way it could be OP is with a mob spawner and looping the mobs around and around on it.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

EXP farm that also generates EU along the way to delivering the mobs to their deaths?! Want.

Only way it could be OP is with a mob spawner and looping the mobs around and around on it.

why would you need to loop them? just let them fall to their death and use the newly spawned mobs :) also mobs onlt give EXP if a player kills them, not if they die by lava, fire gravity, ect.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• why would you need to loop them? just let them fall to their death and use the newly spawned mobs :) also mobs onlt give EXP if a player kills them, not if they die by lava, fire gravity, ect.

Wouldn't NEED to, but you can use a Mob Spawner and it's mechanics to get over 100 mobs going in a loop.

Why kill that mob when you can loop him around and get more EU from him, along with the newly spawned ones?

Repeat to the mob cap, profit. (200 mobs going in a constant circle over and over would be a lot better then just a few that keep falling to their deaths.)

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Wouldn't NEED to, but you can use a Mob Spawner and it's mechanics to get over 100 mobs going in a loop.

Why kill that mob when you can loop him around and get more EU from him, along with the newly spawned ones?

Repeat to the mob cap, profit. (200 mobs going in a constant circle over and over would be a lot better then just a few that keep falling to their deaths.)

I guess they need to walk on this things to create energy. This shouldn't be a conveyor belt. It doesn't move (since it would need EU this way) it only moves if things on it move. So if mobs spawn they only produce energy as long as they walk around on it.

• indeed, and i'd have it as a monster trap with collection boxes and overflow would go into making scrap for fuel for other generators. depending on which would be more efficient. and i'd make the entire flooring in the trap out of these, so as soon as one died, a new one would appear to take his place on the treadmill.

• indeed, and i'd have it as a monster trap with collection boxes and overflow would go into making scrap for fuel for other generators. depending on which would be more efficient. and i'd make the entire flooring in the trap out of these, so as soon as one died, a new one would appear to take his place on the treadmill.

The problem is, the mobs would run around randomly, which will produce energy, but they won't die by this. And since they will most likely not move in the same direction, they won't move anything. The wheel with the hamster will only rotate if you have a single hamster, with two inside running in different directions the only thing you get is a funny youtube-video.

So without a bait that keeps the mobs in one direction it normally would not even produce energy at all, and the question is still if treadmills connect. So does a treadmill attached to another treadmill needs to move in the same direction? If yes, then you will have to add all movement on top of all connected treadmills, to get the direction they are moving... quite tricky.

And they only provide energy if the objects they carry aren't moving (from an outside view). Imagine again the hamster in the wheel. The wheel does only produce power if the hamster is in a fixed position and the wheel is turning. If the hamster moves along the wheel it will produce power, but it will slow down (since the hamster is not able to move the wheel in this situation). If the hamster just runs circles inside the wheel then there is no power.

So you could use the mobs to power treadmills, which are able to move items along (the items move in the opposite direction the mobs are moving). But you can't move the mobs which are standing on the treadmills.