Question: Induction Furnace and BC wooden pipes

• i'm using IC² along with BC 2.1.0 and so far everything works like it did, which is good.

One exception being the awesome Induction Furnace (damn that thing is fast). The wooden pipes used for extracting things start extracting from the left input slot first, followed by the right input slot and then the left and right output slots.
    I'm wondering if it is possible for you to change the IF so the pipes leave the input slots alone. (ps. Yes I'm aware this is about two different mods and how they work together, which technically not supported but I figured it can't hurt to ask)

If there is such a thing as Heaven and Hell then I'm royally screwed...

• Official Post

Hmmm... i must admit it won't be much of a bother to alter the slots in that way...
    Guess i will rewrite it to have it's 1st input/fuel/1stOutput linked to the BC system.

edit: 2 mins of work, done. Will be added in next release. Shouldn't even mess much with your running Furnaces, except for switching a few stacks around.

• Official Post

Just to state the obvious, the will only use the first input/output slot though.
    Nontheless, if you have the furnace heated up it still uses MUCH less energy then Electric Furnace... even without considering your only using 50% of it's capacity.

You will need good engines though, wooden ones surely cant macht it's smelting speed.

• Just to state the obvious, the will only use the first input/output slot though.
    Nontheless, if you have the furnace heated up it still uses MUCH less energy then Electric Furnace... even without considering your only using 50% of it's capacity.

You will need good engines though, wooden ones surely cant macht it's smelting speed.

I beg your pardon? Fully heated up (flashing between red and yellow) wooden engines go extremely fast, about once a second.

• I think the best design would be 3 Redstone Engines pulling from 3 pipes on a single chest full of the item to be smelted, should be almost exactly the smelting speed of a Furnace running at 100% (I find it hard without quarries to get/keep it at 100%... I don't have that much stuff to smelt!)

• Once a second? Not enough.
    IFurnace can (on 100% heat) perform 2+ operations per second :3
    It's called an Adv-Machine for a reason, you know...

You forget that you can join 2 pipes powered by 2 engines. And those 2 engines can pump out of the same double chest. So it's still possible.

On that note, any thought of creating a small addon to add electric engines to BC?

• love IC, love BC, NEVER GOING BACK! :)

Once you go IC and BC....YOU NEVER GO BACK!
    I mean seriously, IC and BC are some of the most epic minecraft (maybe even video game) mods of all time!

More on topic however...
    Alblaka:
    Only 1 operation at a time? But we're losing 50% production capacity :C
    Doesn't sound very industrious to me :P

While I realize you hold no obligation to me, or my opinons, I would GREATLY appreciate it if you could put two inputs in, allowing for the full production capacity.
    However, if this is due to an impossibility with the code, or would require modification to Buildcraft files, I understand. In any case, I am still very grateful for the added BC pipe compatibility :D! Keep up the great work Alblaka!

• Official Post

Je, the issue is, Buildcraft pipes ALWAYS adress the slots 0, 1, 2.
    I could provide you the possibility to adress both inputs... but then you wouldn't have access to the outputs anymore > pointless. Same applies vice versa.
    The 1 input + fuel + 1 output is the only useful solution.

However, i already bugged SpaceToad about this and proposed implementation of a really simple Interface (API) for this purpouse. Shouldn't take him much effort, but would any modder give the ability to specify how pipes interact with his machines :3

• Don't pipes connecting to the top/bottom of a furnace have the ability to address slots didferently? Would it be possible to gave the top and bottom pipes each correspond to one input and the side pipe to the two outputs? If spacetoad passes on or puts off the API, I mean.

• Sukasa got a great idea. And anyway, by the time you are at the point of using Induction Furnaces, you MUST already have some sort of energy source (other then the simple generetor), which mean the cable can come from behind or in front of the machine, powering it up and making the battery slot a bit useless. In fact, the battery slot IS useless, because a single batterie can't heat the furnace too much (i think).

• I think what the plan should be is to have the pipes check both inputs (if in top) and both outputs for possible items. If it finds them, it'll either (for inputs) stack onto existing stacks, or (for outputs) pull one at a time, alternating. It's pretty simple, if you know what you're doing. It's a simple plan, I think, and just requires a couple additional codes, but it should work, right? :)

EDIT: Just realized that doesn't work well for a standard machine, except if you have it talk to the pipe. Random thought. ._.

• I still think i got a good point (Sukasa idea). Both pipes from the bottom or top put the items in and both pipes from the sides extract the items.

• this can be (changed\fixed) if you allow induction furnace pick stuff from chest directrly above it and dump result to chest on it's side.
    in this case pipes will be connected to chest (where all alots available) and still will work without any problems.

also this will allow fast transport without risk of overflow.