[AddOn v1.71] Thermal Monitoring for Nuclear Reactors [SSP/SMP]

• After coming home to the n'th crater in a spot where used to stand a 6 chamber nuclear reactor i decided enough was enough. Having spent obscene amounts of time playing with IC2 lately about the only thing i found lacking was a good control system to keep those reactors in check. I've put together a quick addon that allows you to monitor the temperature of the reactor chambers and send out redstone signals based on specific heat levels. Not only does this give you an excellent failsafe but it also allows you to finally visualize the heat level of the reactor.

One reactor can be surrounded by many temperature monitoring blocks, ofc at the expense of available outside water coolant spots. Each block can be set to a specific heat level at which to trigger its redstone signal. Using RP2's wire bundles this allows for a great compact high tech looking system. The easiest implementation would be to have only 1 monitoring block and looping its redstone signal back into the reactor chamber to provide an instant cut off and to keep the heat level constant.

Of course way more interesting solutions could be implemented, for example connecting the cable bundle to computercraft and automatically increment ice production based on different heat levels, or raising IC2's forcefield just before the reactor goes suborbital.

My plan is to release this addon as SMP from the start, since this is where i need it myself the most ;)

Any feedback and/or ideas are as always appreciated.

DOWNLOAD

Client (v1.0.2) for MC v1.1 : http://goo.gl/i62b7
    Server (v1.0.2) for MC v1.1 : http://goo.gl/bi2E4

Client (v1.0.1) for MC v1.1 : http://goo.gl/ltkMx
    Server (v1.0.1) for MC v1.1 : http://goo.gl/LhyeG

CHANGELOG (v1.0.2)
    - Fixed issue with vanilla redstone getting powered out of nowhere
    - Updated graphics to match IC2 more closely

VIDEO
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6iTnaz16G4

RECIPE

BASIC SETUP
    The simplest of setups featuring only 1 Thermal Monitor. Its signal is fed straight back into the reactor chamber, thus providing an instant cutoff.

ADVANCED SETUP
    This setup features 8 individual Thermal Monitors. Each block is setup to fire at a different core temperature.

Noosius

• Really useful :thumbup:
    Also waiting for SMP :thumbup:
    Sorry but have no idea but you have created a cool mod 8o
    With it we will have 100% safe reactors even mark 5 )

• i would imagine if you filled a 6 chamber reactor with pure uranium and set the thermometer for zero it would find a way still explode (nukes always do)

• Nice idea. The missing part of the puzzle to build a super-safe reactor. When will it be available? And could you please remove the music from the youtube video; you can't watch it from germany, because of the lovely gema. Sincerely powerminer

• Can´t watch the video too
    Can you remove the music from the video, so we can watch it here in germany too ? :)

• Do you need one per reactor chamber?
    Could you make one, that monitors the heat of all the chambers at once or the general heat level?

Intel i7 990X @ 4,60 GHZ, Asus Rampage III Black Edition, 24GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3,
    2x Zotac Nvidia Geforce 580AMP 1,5gb, OCZ Revodrive 3 X2 240GB 1GBps,
    1TB Western Digital Cavier Black, 2x Hitachi HDS723030BLE640 3TB, 3x BenQ XL2410T LCD-Monitors

Hosting Minecraft Servers on an Octo Core 32GB Ram Server: http://two66.com/
    Free Space available! If you need a Server let me know!

• Do you need one per reactor chamber?
    Could you make one, that monitors the heat of all the chambers at once or the general heat level?

You only need 1 Thermal Monitor, but it can only monitor 1 temperature. So for example to cut off at 9k heat you just need 1. If you want to have various actions at different heat levels you need more monitors.
    There is only 1 important temperature, and that's the reactor chamber temperature. its max temperature is the sum of all chambers + hull platings.

• Tried it and works a charm!
    But if someone could show a set-up that makes it turn off at say 6000 temp than back on at say 1000-2000. That would be great!
    Im not very good with redstone, and ive tried screwing around with all the redpower things and cannot get it to work properly.. Coz it would need to be set in a way that when the temp is 6000 (or your own temp) is reached monitor A activates, but due to it being about 2000 the other one is already on, so i need a system that makes 2 redstone currents (one coming form 6000 and 2000) to turn off the reactor, than once it drops below 6000 one redstone pulse goes off, but the reactor still stays off, and once it hits below 2000 and that monitor goes off, the reactor comes on.
    6000 = A
    2000 = B
    A + B active = off reactor
    During cooldown, A in-active and B active, reactor still off
    A+B not active = reactor on
    B active and A not active on the charge back up = reactor on.

• 6000 = A
    2000 = B
    A + B active = off reactor
    During cooldown, A in-active and B active, reactor still off
    A+B not active = reactor on
    B active and A not active on the charge back up = reactor on.

Use a RS-NOR latch and a NOT gate.

When A activates one side reactor turns off when B goes low the not gate triggers the other side of the latch and reactor turns on.

• Use a RS-NOR latch and a NOT gate.

When A activates one side reactor turns off when B goes low the not gate triggers the other side of the latch and reactor turns on.

I need a system so that when it reaches Temp X (high) it turns off, than once it cools down to Temp Y (low) it turns back on, and repeats the process, i cannot work it out for the life of me...

• I seem to be having problems with this. It appears to be working correctly but every time one of my monitors triggers the reactor seems to switch off, even without me wiring it to do so. Also for some reason the monitors disappear at random. Other than that they seem to be doing their job and it is making it much easier to run both my 9k breeder and my main reactor.

• I need a system so that when it reaches Temp X (high) it turns off, than once it cools down to Temp Y (low) it turns back on, and repeats the process, i cannot work it out for the life of me...

Do you have Red Power? You can craft a RS-NOR latch and NOT gate. Or if you don't it isn't the hardest in the world either to do old school.

Just wire it correctly and listen to what I said and it will do what you described.

.....to reactor
    ..........|
    A--------RS---<NOT<----B
    ..........|
    ........[nul]

When measured reactor temp. hits the set amount on A it will flip the latch from [nul] to reactor while B is still active since temp. is over its set amount which is lower than A's
    When reactor cools to below B's set value B stops emitting redstone signal and the NOT gate turns on flipping the latch back to [nul]

[nul] is just geekspeak for nothing, you can wire it to a lamp if you wish, to tell you when your reactor is supposed to be on or something :P

• Really nice add-on. I don't usually go for IC2 add-ons but this one definitely looks solid.

Also when testing the above cooldown switch system with Redpower and vanilla wiring, I noticed some "unusual" behavior with the vanilla wires.

A Themal Monitor placed adjacent to a reactor core will cause any vanilla wires connected to the core to become powered [so will automatically shut-off the reactor]. I had to place a vanilla repeater adjacent to the core to negate this "feature". I don't know if this can be avoided, so just a heads up to anyone using vanilla wires to connect to the reactor w/ a repeater.

Ed: Just tried to reproduce the result, didn't work the first time, and got infinitely powered wires the second time so yeah... repeaters are your friend. [Seems to be an issue with the IC reactor, not this add-on]

Ed2: After further testing, seems to be related to this mod, as I was able to get a Thermal Monitor to power a Reactor Chamber, even when no wires were involved.. So I'm probably just doing it wrong ;)

• Yeah I have redpower, im using it, im a noob at redstone shit, and have been trying this for more than an hour and it will not work!
    I can set it up in reverse.. So that if both Monitors are on, the reactor still runs, than when the Monitors turn off, the reactor turns off (im using levers for testing of course) I can make it so that B comes on, than A, it turns ON the reactor, than when A turns off, and B turns back off, the reactor turns OFF.. THe opposite effect I wanted :(
    If you could make a set up vid or something that would be great...