Iron fence

• Has anybody gotten these fences to work? From what I gathered, you are supposed to be able to climb down them like ladders, and crouch to "slide" down even faster, and if you put an electrolizer (excuse spelling) on top, you can climb up it too.

I am encountering 2 problems,
    1. I cannot "climb" down the ladders, I always fall (and die due to the height lol)
    2. I cannot power the electrolizer, I tried crystals in them but no luck

Any information would be helpful, thanks :D

• Official Post

Has anybody gotten these fences to work? From what I gathered, you are supposed to be able to climb down them like ladders, and crouch to "slide" down even faster, and if you put an electrolizer (excuse spelling) on top, you can climb up it too.

I am encountering 2 problems,
    1. I cannot "climb" down the ladders, I always fall (and die due to the height lol)
    2. I cannot power the electrolizer, I tried crystals in them but no luck

Any information would be helpful, thanks :D

1. You always fall down. But if you press sneak, you will grap onto the pole and slowly slide down. Imagine you're a firefighter :3
    2. Not electrolyzer. Use the MAGNETIZER. Which doesn't have a GUI, but needs to be powered via wiring.

• 1. You always fall down. But if you press sneak, you will grap onto the pole and slowly slide down. Imagine you're a firefighter :3
    2. Not electrolyzer. Use the MAGNETIZER. Which doesn't have a GUI, but needs to be powered via wiring.

how much power does it need/howmuch can it handle? (btw your very quick to reply to questions :) )
    also the iron fence, does it need to be in the form of a ladder or a poll?

Offtopic, kinda. In that case whats the electrolyzer for?

• Official Post

It can handle normal LV (32 EUt).
    Every pole stores up to 15 uses (1 EU each), the magnetizer powers 20 poles above and 20 poles below him every few ticks. Unless you constantly ride up and down, it doesn't need much power. Put a batbox next to it and you will see.

It does need to be a pole, otherwise it does not work.

Electrolyzers can be placed adjacent to MFE's/ MFSU's, then place WAter Cells into the left slot.
    If the Electric Block next to it has 70% or more energy, it will start using this energy (at 5EUt) to process the water cells into electrolyzer water cells (15k EU for each process).
    If the Electric Block is below 30%, it will return energy and, if necessary transform electrolyzed cells back into normal water ones (only for 13,5k, though).

You can consider it a cheap alternative to Lapatron crystals, as every stack of water cells can be "charged" with ~950k energy.

On the topic, the magnetizer doesn't work with bronze boots, despite them being metal.

Good to mention. Bronze boots werent implemented whenthe Magnetizer was coded, and forgotten to be added later on.

• Thanks for the info :)

• Good to mention. Bronze boots werent implemented whenthe Magnetizer was coded, and forgotten to be added later on.

Seeing as Bronze is not magnetic, bronze boots not working actually makes a lot of sense

• Seeing as Bronze is not magnetic, bronze boots not working actually makes a lot of sense

How about a nanosuit? Is redstone magnetic? I know Energy crystals have redstone on them. The helmet ought to be magnetic, but you need the boots.... Hmmm

• So far I haven't found a tool able to remove the iron fence while keeping the block. Is that already included in "Some machines are not removeable by Wrench."?
    Also could you change it so that the magnetizer can "power" fences adjacent to it, so you can build a pole from bedrock to the surface without interruption?

EDIT: Nvm Mining Laser on Low Focus does wonders to iron fences, but still kinda weird that you need the laser to remove them.

• Alright i have a problem with iron fence elevators. If i put a charged magnetizer on top of a pole, everyone who is trying to climb the pole, can't climb it up and will lose hp. Anyone has an idea what my problem is?

• Alright i have a problem with iron fence elevators. If i put a charged magnetizer on top of a pole, everyone who is trying to climb the pole, can't climb it up and will lose hp. Anyone has an idea what my problem is?

how much is the pole long?

• The pole was 18 blocks high and I placed the magnetizer on top of it. It felt a little bit like, the pole was charged instead of magnetized. I don't know if its important, but I running the mod with the actual version on an server.

It's suffocation damage. I tested it and it only happens in multi-player. Just a minor oversight from making iron fences smaller than one block (You'll notice you only take the damage when your HEAD enters an iron fence block).

As for them not climbing the pole. I tested it and the magnetizer IS working (minus the suffocation damage...) so either it's not a pole, or you're not wearing metal shoes (I'll assume you checked those :P), or you've exceeded the height requirement (18 is within bounds since 20 is the max), or it's not actually receiving power (the magnetizer itself MUST be above/below and connected to the pole. Also, check to make sure the batbox has power in it and that the output face is facing the right way.)

It's really very annoying that iron fence squares can be entered anyway (they have a slight indentation). It makes it so you can free fall in adjacent columns of air (which wouldn't be possible otherwise), but since magnetizers ARE a full block and MUST be above/below the pole they magnetize express elevators longer than 40 blocks are impossible.

• Yeah, the 40 block max thing sucks. I mean, just make it have a (configurable) output face, either up/down or to a pole at one side...

• Yeah, the 40 block max thing sucks. I mean, just make it have a (configurable) output face, either up/down or to a pole at one side...

Isn't it possible to stack multiple magnetizers though? I haven't tried it yet but:

20 poles
    magnetizer
    40 poles
    magnetizer
    20 poles

Would be 82 high, and should work. If it actually does work I have no idea thou :P

• The headache with magnetised fences is that it seems you must be within the magnetised block to get lift. You're partly in the pole block and partly in the (presumably empty) block beside it. Assuming you use 40 fence poles on one magnetizer, you'll shoot up 20 blocks, then hit your head on the magnetizer and stop. If you're far enough away from the pole to miss the magnetiser, you'll start falling.

To get 40 blocks of uplift out of 1 magnetiser, you can jump off the pole at the magnetiser onto a ledge, climb 1 more block and jump back on the second part of the ride.

I wanted a continuous 60 block ride from near bedrock to sea level. My design for doing that is 3 staggered poles with magnetisers at the bottom. I get on the bottom pole and hold 'forward'. After 20 blocks I fly off the first pole and the next is 1 block forward, so I land in it's pull and fly up another 20 without losing momentum. Same at the next junction. As a bonus, if I do fall off, I'll only fall up to 20 blocks, not 60.

The downside is it needs 3x magnetizers and 3x batboxes, and of course you'll need a ladder nearby or some way to get to those batboxes for occasionaly recharging.

Is there something simple I'm missing, or is this the easiest ride from lava-level to the surface?

:Copper Ore: :Copper Ore: :Coal Chunk: :Empty Cell: :MFE-Transmitter:
    :Copper Ore: :Copper Ore: :Coal Chunk: :Empty Cell:
    :Copper Ore: :Coal Chunk: :Coal Chunk: :Empty Cell:
    :Copper Ore: :Coal Chunk: :Empty Cell: :MFE-Transmitter:
    :Copper Ore: :Coal Chunk: :Empty Cell:
    :Copper Ore: :Coal Chunk: :Empty Cell:
    :Copper Ore: :Copper Ore: :MFE-Transmitter:

• That is an ingenious method for going up. I had never thought of something like that. Though if you make the iron poles from the first at least 20 high you can usu clear a 10 block gap once you reach the end. So you would be able to factor that in to save as much distance as possible.