[Suggestion] Carniculture Vat

• Name: Carniculture Vat

Description:
    Sick and tired of grain? Mushrooms getting you down? Farming too 'rural' for you? Too poor to construct your own quantum helmet? Grow your own meat! No more messy clean-up of fecal matter from your animals, no more disgusting cows escaping their pens in your subterranean fortress and wandering freely. For the nominal cost of 75k EU and a small wait period, you can grow your beef in a certified Carniculture Vat. In these fantastically futuristic devices, cows are rapidly raised from generated eggs (DNA sequence extremely secret! heavily encrypted, stored within machine), and slaughtered the instant they can provide enough food for a healthy meal*.

*Any reports of connections between this machine and cancer, mad cow disease, cow spots, and other physical conditions of a disturbing nature are purely coincidental and have not been confirmed by any reliable study.

Basically, a medium tier Mass Generator that produces beef. Replaces the need to grow wheat or set up a farm, and especially useful in scenarios where you are constructing underground or sky bases, have tons of energy and need to keep a workforce (or one very hungry person) fed. Suggested 75k EU across about 1 minute of real time- 15 solar panels shouldn't be too hard to attain and if you want to invest that energy into making 3 raw beefs (and then turning them into steaks), should be able to feed all but those who are constantly swimming/jumping/running.

• I had an idea like this, though it was more kin to a simple cloning machine

pop in an egg/raw chicken breast for a chicken, raw porkchops for pigs, raw steaks for cows. Then just add water and wait for the miracle to happen.
    play around with the combinations, create creepers from cactus and porkchops, spider eyes for spiders, bones and rotten flesh for zombies, and maybe even bones for testificates?

• Maybe have the creature spawning ability as an upgraded variant (cloning vat?), aside from that, I like the idea of not having to play around with an animal pen is one that I support.

• Sounds like something I could use in my game. I tend to avoid the whole animal breeding mechanic, but beef is rather good.
    Though if all else fails, I could try and make a Beefapple crop.

Apprentice Redstoner, Professional Slacker

• i already do a basic version of this, make a room that is 2 blocks tall and fill it with cows and have them breed, once they are done breeding, leave the room and flip a switch. this switch will cause a full sheet of pistons above the room to drop the ceiling by one and will kill only the fully grown cows, leaving the 1 block tall babies unharmed. once you hear the mowing and moaning stop from the cows being crushed to death you flip the switch off and go collect all the meat from the slaughtered parental cows.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• I really like this idea, I'll probably attempt an addon of it when I get time, right now I'm trying to get some agriculture/cropcard stuff done.

I'm thinking a little more creepy though, instead of cows growing inside of the machine, having some big lump of living "mystery meat" sustained by the machine, that you can harvest off of. Possibly using 2 types of blocks, the actual support machine, and then the tanks/vats, similar to buildcraft tanks so you can extend your mutated creation's growing space.

Heck, if I get bored enough, it could be extended to be an animal version of the agriculture system, allowing crossing for strange mutated species with better meat for food or that make some kind of bio-fuel.

• I really like this idea, I'll probably attempt an addon of it when I get time, right now I'm trying to get some agriculture/cropcard stuff done.

I'm thinking a little more creepy though, instead of cows growing inside of the machine, having some big lump of living "mystery meat" sustained by the machine, that you can harvest off of. Possibly using 2 types of blocks, the actual support machine, and then the tanks/vats, similar to buildcraft tanks so you can extend your mutated creation's growing space.

Heck, if I get bored enough, it could be extended to be an animal version of the agriculture system, allowing crossing for strange mutated species with better meat for food or that make some kind of bio-fuel.

you make the recipie require 1 advanced cuircut, 2 glass, 2beef, 2 pork, and 2 rotten flesh (zombie meat). and have it randomly generate a meat every 20 seconds that energy is applied. the zombie meat would be used as like the living catalyst that eats, converts, and grows the other meats.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

this sounds awesome! I was honestly thinking maybe a two block high machine, one that had the floating, deformed cow fetus and the other with the interactive portion and figured that would a long shot.. But your idea of actually watching it grow and then being able to mess with it is ridiculously cool. My only two requests are that it constantly use energy, and that you post how to alter the monstrosities.

• this sounds awesome! I was honestly thinking maybe a two block high machine, one that had the floating, deformed cow fetus and the other with the interactive portion and figured that would a long shot.. But your idea of actually watching it grow and then being able to mess with it is ridiculously cool. My only two requests are that it constantly use energy, and that you post how to alter the monstrosities.

not sure how many people would like the idea of chomping down on cow fetuses, lol. i think a block that looks like a block of glass with a chump of meat growing inside it and a machine that looks like a Trade-o-mat or canning machine under it would be alittle more accepted, or how about that!

A Carniculture Vat that you set ontop of a canning machine that you feed EUs into at 2-5eu/t and it pumps random meats into the canning machine, and then if you have Empty Cans in the canning machine then it gives you "Canned Meat", alteast with this people might actually start using canning machines as well. :D

• Official Post

This idea sounds like a clonemachine. Cloningexperiments as the new Agriculture of IC². Food, Mutants, Medicine, every organic structure is possible. I thinks that's already on Al's long list if it does not have to do with the lagfactor of breeding huge amounts of Animals.

• The idea is similar to a cloning machine, but really all I'm proposing is artificial meat. A machine that turns EU into food, by a novel process that is scientifically possible but implemented as simply as possible. Stick your machine on a power grid, and watch it churn out raw beef! Farming would still be there for people looking for leather, sheep wool, pork, feathers, etc, but it would allow a player who doesn't like the food bar to simply generate the meat via power generation. This could easily become imbalanced though, nothing comes for free, so charging 10-15k EU per food restored (steak restores 4 food), you come out at 60k EU for the raw beef (plus the energy necessary to cook it). This is by no means hard to achieve with 4 solar panels, and easily makes sense as far as growing an animal (if anything, under charging). The other cost would be time, it couldn't be instant, and it can't take too long unless you don't want people using the machine. So make it take less than 10 minutes, but greater than 2.5.

Also, there is the possibility of harvesting the fecal matter for fertilizer?

As far as the looks should go, I'm pretty sure everybody has seen vats in science fiction cartoons/tv shows/movies/illustrations containing a floating body with tubes sticking out of it. Its not really that odd of a choice at this point. Anybody who doesn't like the idea of eating a baby cow probably doesn't eat a normal cow anyways- there is by no means anybody or anything forcing the player to use the machine. You still have the option of growing a mushroom farm, or an animal farm, or a wheat farm, or even an IC2 farm, to provide your food. I suggest beef because its a happy medium between chicken and pork for restoring food, its a liked food, you don't get leather from the machine (unlike actually farming cows), and its exactly the sort of thing a mad scientist might think of. It doesn't make farming animals irrelevant, but does provide an alternative to fast teching to a quantum helmet or extensive farming just for food.