Canned food question

• what is the advantage of putting food in a can? I recall that I was told somewhere that is heals a heart if you consume a can of food. Is this true?

• http://forum.industrial-craft.…page=Thread&threadID=4702 canned food no longer heals hearts as of 1.65; it feeds hunger just like normal food. My understanding is that the reason for canning food is that canned food stacks very well (64 items) whereas some types of normal food don’t (or didn’t in earlier versions of Minecraft). Also cans made of different types of ingredients will stack with each other, whereas (for example) fish and chicken will not stack in the same inventory slot.

• http://forum.industrial-craft.…page=Thread&threadID=4702 canned food no longer heals hearts as of 1.65; it feeds hunger just like normal food. My understanding is that the reason for canning food is that canned food stacks very well (64 items) whereas some types of normal food don’t (or didn’t in earlier versions of Minecraft). Also cans made of different types of ingredients will stack with each other, whereas (for example) fish and chicken will not stack in the same inventory slot.

All of this, AND u forget to say that make some food more efficient. all the food that provide half point of hunger, will produce a filled can that give u a full point, so if i eat a porkchop, i gain 3,5 hunger, if i can that poskchop, i gain 4 full can, make me obtain 4 huger point...
    and it's also more user friendly... gaining 1 hunger point at a time, help not waste food... how many times u waste half of the food u eat because u need to fill the hunger bar to restore healt, because u don't want to wait until the hunger bar consume enough to use that food completedly? with the canned food u also optimize the food consumption...

• Official Post

All of this, AND u forget to say that make some food more efficient. all the food that provide half point of hunger, will produce a filled can that give u a full point, so if i eat a porkchop, i gain 3,5 hunger, if i can that poskchop, i gain 4 full can, make me obtain 4 huger point...
    and it's also more user friendly... gaining 1 hunger point at a time, help not waste food... how many times u waste half of the food u eat because u need to fill the hunger bar to restore healt, because u don't want to wait until the hunger bar consume enough to use that food completedly? with the canned food u also optimize the food consumption...

AHHH too much false facts!!!

Pork heals 1.5 not 3.5

You can restore hunger fuller than the bar so you can get more than 10 hungerpoints (2^16 to be exact). A full hungerbar only prevents you from eating more Food! Nothing is wasted!!! Understood? NOTHING!!!

Also canned food makes your Hungerbar slower depleting than normal, at least Alblaka said it.

• I was referring to the cooked porkchop... but i miss anyway the example because the cooked porkchop gain 4 full point... a correct example is bread: 2.5->3

Ho! really? i dont know that! i always think that that go wasted XD anyway, there are some innegable benefict to use canned food instead of normal food... this is the message...

foodLevel ranges from 0 to 20 and is represented by your Food Bar. One point equals (half a "shank").
    foodSaturationLevel is an invisible additional hunger variable, which is depleted before main foodLevel value. Eating any food will also add some to this variable. Note that this cannot exceed foodLevel. The Food Bar jitters when this equals 0.
    foodTickTimer increases with every tick when foodLevel is either greater than 17 or equals zero. When foodTickTimer reaches 80 it resets to zero and then heals or deals one point of damage to the Health Bar, respectively.
    foodExhaustionLevel ranges from 0.0 to 4.0 and increases with every action you take. When the exhaustion level reaches above 4.0 it will get subtracted by 4.0 and subtracts 1 point either from foodSaturationLevel or, if foodSaturationLevel equals zero, from foodLevel.

This come from the minecraft wiki...

It seems to me that actually, u waste some food if u reach the cap of 20 point... What u can buid up "over the 20 points" is the "invisible" foodSaturationLevel, that is build and consumed BEFORE u consume the main hunger points... notice that it say "Eating any food will also add some to this variable", and not "the remains food point go in this variable"...
    As albaka mentioned, the duration of hunger lasts more than a normal food because this "hidden" level is build up every time u consume a food.
    So if u eat a cooked porkchop, u gain 8 points and a boost in this variable, and if u eat 4 canned food, u gain 8 points and 4 boosts in the variable... this explain what albaka saied...

for short, u waste food with normal food and eating from canned food help u optimizing and consuming less food.

• On the main point of this topic canned food heals one heart and one hunger point (One drumstick. This is actually 2 points but go with it).

"A modern tank can speed at 60 mph while shooting a target with pinpoint accuracy from 5 miles away." Civ-5

• It is supposed to not only refill your hunger but also give a heart of direct heal.

The saturation amount for canned food is low, can be compared to that of zombie flesh and spider eyes. You guys got what Al said backwards.

EDIT: Spider eyes don't have low saturation, they compare to a full use of cake.

• Official Post

It is supposed to not only refill your hunger but also give a heart of direct heal.

The saturation amount for canned food is low, can be compared to that of zombie flesh and spider eyes. You guys got what Al said backwards.

EDIT: Spider eyes don't have low saturation, they compare to a full use of cake.

Nope, it was meant to have a perfect high saturation level :O Did you alter that one?

• You said canned food should have a saturation level of 0.95. That level is comparable to that of spider eyes and zombie flesh.

• I use canned food exclusively, the main benefit as someone has already said is that it allows you to combine all the food types in to one inventory slot (plus one after you empty a can). Yes, it still heals you as well as satisfying hunger. Also the canning process "purifies" foods like zombie flesh /spider eyes, as to remove the poison effect. Plus in conjunction with the quantum helmet you only need to fill one hunger bubble anyway.

And nice to know about the the saturation levels as well.

• Hmm... I recommend canned food as long as you don't have a whole bunch of cooked pork/beef lying around. Canned food is a good way to increase the effectiveness of food that is normally junk, like melon. Melon has a very tiny saturation level, so you are sort of doomed when you eat it to continue eating it the whole journey. If you can it it turns into magic melon-mash, which probably has a saturation level between 2 and 4. If I eat 4 canned foods, I am usually good for a half day trip at sprint before my bar starts to go down. If I'm right, that's because each can you eat adds to the saturation level, so with the smaller food/can if you eat many at once you get a huge amount of saturation.

I do know that cooked beef gives you almost 13 saturation, so if you eat two of those you are good for a long long time.

Canned food advantage is this we can be stored it without refrigeration for a long time. This process used
    in preparing caned food tends to hold on to more of the vitamins etc.