Never thought I'd say this...

• to quote thumbs titanic "we need to drown faster! i'll be at the low end of the ship if anyone needs me!"

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Not sure why people are so closed off to the idea that it might (might!) just be better if updates came slower.

Sure, you can choose to not update, as has been stated by the above at any opportunity possible. Constantly updating however has its own problems. To name one, no stable environment in which there are less viable versions of everything, making it easier to pick the right version of a mod and so on.

Rag on me if you want, but I know what I believe. Kudos to you Nate for bringing this up.

Hell, prove me wrong, Happy to be so 99% of the time, then I can learn stuff :)

• Well the pure vanilla minecraft community would be yelling at Jeb to update faster if we said to Jeb update slower.

• Ha! Just wait until after 1.3 when the new API kills everything.

...Be great if all the mods release 1.2.5 versions so I can hang out there until 1.4.3 or so...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• Ha! Just wait until after 1.3 when the new API kills everything.

...Be great if all the mods release 1.2.5 versions so I can hang out there until 1.4.3 or so...

Thats going to be a fun and sad day at the same time.

It makes me wonder if i should stall my learning of minecraft modding post 1.3...

• The super-fast updates wouldn't be quite as much of a problem if it was possible to make mods where one version of the mod works with multiple versions of the game.

Barring that, I think Jeb should, instead of making frequent bug fixes and rebalances, only release updates to fix serious bugs ASAP, and lump all the minor bug fixes, rebalances, and feature updates into larger, less frequent updates.

• Why don't they just save the updates for like one HUGE update instead of a couple small ones like every week! I miss the beta and alpha days were they didn't update it every week! X(

Uhm, seecret friday updates, anyone? Those were during alpha iirc. At least we know about these, even if they are sudden.

• Official Post

>Would you like to update?
    >YesaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaNo

>NO

Problem solved.

Better: Backup your minecraft.jar, say Yes to update, rename the update to minecraft125.jar place your backupped minecraft.jar to its old place and you will never asked again (until the next Update) and you have a minecraft 1.2.5 Backup for the future coming Mods.

• Better: Backup your minecraft.jar, say Yes to update, rename the update to minecraft125.jar place your backupped minecraft.jar to its old place and you will never asked again (until the next Update) and you have a minecraft 1.2.5 Backup for the future coming Mods.

MCnostalgia. I had to update to 1.2.4 and downgrade to 1.2.3.

• Why don't they just save the updates for like one HUGE update instead of a couple small ones like every week! I miss the beta and alpha days were they didn't update it every week! X(

Because if they did that then it would be that much harder for them to track down the source of any new bugs that might creep up. (!)

If you change 99 things, then something breaks it could be any of the changes you made so you have to recheck everything. (!) If you only change one thing and it breaks then you know right where to look. (!)

If Mojang released monthly updates, then we'd have to deal with multiple (major) bugs per version, not just a couple of minor ones. (!)

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• Official Post

Because if they did that then it would be that much harder for them to track down the source of any new bugs that might creep up. (!)

If you change 99 things, then something breaks it could be any of the changes you made so you have to recheck everything. (!) If you only change one thing and it breaks then you know right where to look. (!)

If Mojang released monthly updates, then we'd have to deal with multiple (major) bugs per version, not just a couple of minor ones. (!)

You know that they are normally releasing Snapshots for Bugtracking? And releasing MC every six weeks or so (normally).

• *mean while in his own little pretend world*
    "FASTER! FASTER! uh oh maybe this wasn't such a good idea. ooohhh i reeeeaaally hope that glass holds!" SPLOOSH!

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• You know that they are normally releasing Snapshots for Bugtracking? And releasing MC every six weeks or so (normally).

That's a (couple of) gray area statement(s) if I've ever heard one... Snapshots are nothing more than a glorified, informal beta test. Majority of players don't even mess with the snapshots (only people messing with the snaps are modders (minority) and the people that absolutely, positively have to be on the bleeding edge (majority)) and bugs can (and do) make it through to the live versions. In addition, nothing is 'normal'. Updates pre-1.0 were irregular, updates post-1.0 are irregular. Mojang has a 'update timeline' that they do pretty good with, but have shown that they have no problems breaking from it. (and as the latest frenzy shows- sometimes for the better)

Honestly, I don't care all that much personally. Mojang can update all they want, my 1.0 install is still doing just fine. My comment was mostly just to show that it's a case of '6 of one, half-dozen of another'.