The one and only [OFFICIAL] Technic discussion thread.

• Lately I have seen people posting about tekkit/technic on this website and asking for help and posting tekkit servers when this website has nothing to do with tekkit/technic at all. I propose that we remove any mentioning of tekkit/technic from this sit since it doesnt benefit in any way shape or form and make a rule in which tekkit/technic will not be supported or mentioned on this website without some sort of warning. Just to be clear Im doing this to benefit this website and further educate people about the wrong tekkit/technic has done.

• and make a rule in which tekkit/technic will not be supported or mentioned on this website without some sort of warning.

I think he is asking for there to be an 'official' warning issued when someone comes asking about IC2 as it is implemented in Technic\Tekkit. ...as a precursor to a ban I suppose?

Personally I invite every Tekkit\Technic user to the site so that they can be informed about why EXACTLY tekkit\technic is not supported here.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• Tekkit is the only reason I ever heard of IC in the first place. IC by far contributes the best stuff to tekkit but I like being able to use it with other things too.

The more compatible mods are with each other the better and we as users should certainly not support mod developers turning into hermit crabs. An example is when mods are purposely designed to not function with other mods to "fight" modpacks. That's Apple thinking right there.

On top of that technic has donation links for all the mods up on their page. Credit the original developers and refuse donations themselves.
    Why on earth would any user to be anti-tekkit? Why would you as a user fight for less options for yourself?

• Because support technic/tekkit is supporting the wholesale theft of mods. They *still* don't have the permission to redistribute all of the mods they use. Thus they are stealing them. They've already had their github account shut down once because of it.

• Yeah but then the mod developers don't have permission to mod minecraft in the first place and we're not whining at them for stealing are we? Tekkit not only helps advertise the mods, they also help gather donations for the mods and give us a great modpack, as an end user its win-win.

• You know that moddifying of Minecraft is allowed and recommended by Notch Jeb himself?

Fixed that for you as Notch isn't Minecrafts lead dev any longer.

Additionally, modders are given express permission to modify Minecraft. It's the distribution of Mojang's unmodified files that they don't want you doing.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• You know that moddifying of Minecraft is allowed and recommended by Notch himself?

Mojang publicly supports the moding community but has yet to put any legal support behind it at all. At the drop of a dime Mojang could slap all modders with a cease and desist order.

Just like IC has a lot to add to minecraft so does tekkit. Its not one or the other, its both.

• Mojang publicly supports the moding community but has yet to put any legal support behind it at all. At the drop of a dime Mojang could slap all modders with a cease and desist order.

Just like IC has a lot to add to minecraft so does tekkit. Its not one or the other, its both.

Except that tekkit/technic just grab a bunch of mods from other developers and mash them together. Try making your own big mod like ic2 once and see if you dont get mad from someone stealing your work without so much saying you will do it.

• Except that tekkit/technic just grab a bunch of mods from other developers and mash them together. Try making your own big mod like ic2 once and see if you dont get mad from someone stealing your work without so much saying you will do it.

Except that they aren't stealing the work any more than google steals the content on the sites they link to. Tekkit is a modpack and make a lot of great mods work together with a very user friendly installation and launcher. They also properly credit the original mod developers, help more people find out about the mods and help get donations for the mods while refusing to accept donations themselves.

• Except that they aren't stealing the work any more than google steals the content on the sites they link to. Tekkit is a modpack and make a lot of great mods work together with a very user friendly installation and launcher. They also properly credit the original mod developers, help more people find out about the mods and help get donations for the mods while refusing to accept donations themselves.

I was waiting for this.. yet another "person" with a total lack of knowledge about ownership using complete BS defenses.

to put it simply, they are stealing any mods they don't have permission to use, period. The devs of the various mods own the code that they wrote or helped to write. Technic/tekkit is lucky they don't get shut down and sued into the ground for theft.

• I have a friend whos a hacker and he hacked into tekkits/technics and it shows atleast half of the donations are going to a foreign bank account which is owned by none of the mod authors that have there mods in tekkit/technic. Whos getting half the donations? O_O serious shit happening...

• I have a friend whos a hacker and he hacked into tekkits/technics and it shows atleast half of the donations are going to a foreign bank account which is owned by none of the mod authors that have there mods in tekkit/technic. Whos getting half the donations? O_O serious shit happening...

That is all a complete lie.

I was waiting for this.. yet another "person" with a total lack of knowledge about ownership using complete BS defenses.

to
    put it simply, they are stealing any mods they don't have permission to
    use, period. The devs of the various mods own the code that they wrote
    or helped to write. Technic/tekkit is lucky they don't get shut down and
    sued into the ground for theft.

No mod developer can sue tekkit. All of it belongs to mojang.

I see your point about distributing mods without the original developers consent but as an end user. If I had to choose between having IC and tekkit available or just IC. Then I'd rather have both. Options are good, the more options we have the better. I just wish that the developers of the mods had the foresight to see that their mod being added to a major mod pack can only benefit them.

• I have a friend whos a hacker

Proof or it didn't happen. Besides, Minecraft is a global community- if the owner of the PayPal donation account is in a different country than you then of course the donation is going to go to a 'foreign' bank account.

No mod developer can sue tekkit. All of it belongs to mojang.

Bullshit. Flat out. ...Mojang has no claim to anyone's code except the code that they pay people to write. (ie: Jeb's code and the Bukkit team's POST-bukkit code.) Mojang doesn't even get to claim the Bukkit code from before they hired the ex-Bukkit dev's. What makes you think they have claim to Alblaka's (or Eloraam's, or SpaceToad's, or Krapht's, or Sengir's, etc.) code when they can't even USE Bukkit code?

What Tekkit\Technic is doing is copyright infringement. Blatant infringement. Mods are the creative works of the programmers that make the mods. For someone to use that work, in it's entirety and without permission, is Copyright Infringement. EVERY mod developer that has not given Tekkit permission would be fully within their rights to sue. ...assuming there would be something worth suing for.

...learn about the subject before you spout opinions. Unless you want those opinions to be proven wrong, that is.

If I had to choose between having IC and tekkit available or just IC. Then I'd rather have both.

Then you are part of the problem, you know what the deal is yet you will continue to use Tekkit even though a number of developers don't want Tekkit using their works. I imagine most of those dev's would even say 'please' before they asked someone not to use Tekkit, and you're basically saying, 'Nope, don't care'.

The same mods are available outside of Tekkit, you just want the easy solution so you don't have to worry about blockIDs.

• Mod developers cannot sue anyone. They have first of all, not copyrighted their works because mojang already owns minecraft itself and as such the mod developers cannot copyright a modification to someone else's copyright.

And yeah I do want the easy solution. Why would I want a more difficult solution to do something?

Easy and user friendly is good. I run a tekkit server and being able to tell people to just download and install the launcher is a thousand times easier than giving them links to 19 different mods and then telling them to start editing jar files and where to put the mod files. I would just end up with 50 threads about errors and problems installing it.

Instead I have tekkit, quick and easy to use and bloody user friendly.

• mod developers can sue people for not getting permission to use.
    this is what was on the minecraft forums on how to protect your mods.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

0. USED TERMS

MOD - modification, plugin, a piece of software that interfaces with
    the Minecraft client to extend, add, change or remove original
    capabilities.

MOJANG - Mojang AB

OWNER - , Original author(s) of the MOD. Under the copyright terms accepted when purchasing Minecraft the OWNER has full rights over their MOD despite use of MOJANG code.

USER - End user of the mod, person installing the mod.

1. LIABILITY

THIS MOD IS PROVIDED 'AS IS' WITH NO WARRANTIES, IMPLIED OR
    OTHERWISE. THE OWNER OF THIS MOD TAKES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES
    INCURRED FROM THE USE OF THIS MOD. THIS MOD ALTERS FUNDAMENTAL PARTS OF
    THE MINECRAFT GAME, PARTS OF MINECRAFT MAY NOT WORK WITH THIS MOD
    INSTALLED. ALL DAMAGES CAUSED FROM THE USE OR MISUSE OF THIS MOD FALL ON
    THE USER.

2. USE

Use of this MOD to be installed, manually or automatically, is given to the USER without restriction.

3. REDISTRIBUTION

This MOD may only be distributed where uploaded, mirrored, or
    otherwise linked to by the OWNER solely. All mirrors of this mod must
    have advance written permission from the OWNER. ANY attempts to make
    money off of this MOD (selling, selling modified versions, adfly,
    sharecash, etc.) are STRICTLY FORBIDDEN, and the OWNER may claim damages
    or take other action to rectify the situation.

4. DERIVATIVE WORKS/MODIFICATION

This mod is provided freely and may be decompiled and modified for
    private use, either with a decompiler or a bytecode editor. Public
    distribution of modified versions of this MOD require advance written
    permission of the OWNER and may be subject to certain terms

ALSO off of minecraft.net

What You Can Do

If you've bought the game, you may play around with it and
    modify it. We'd appreciate it if you didn't use this for griefing,
    though, and remember not to distribute the changes.

Any tools you write for the game from scratch belongs to you.
    You're free to do whatever you want with screenshots and videos of the
    game, but don't just rip art resources and pass them around, that's no
    fun. Plugins for the game also belong to you and you can do whatever you
    want with them, as long as you don't sell them for money. We reserve
    the final say regarding what constitutes a tool/plugin and what doesn't.

• Official Post

I have a friend whos a hacker and he hacked into tekkits/technics and it shows atleast half of the donations are going to a foreign bank account which is owned by none of the mod authors that have there mods in tekkit/technic. Whos getting half the donations? O_O serious shit happening...

HAHAHAHAHA, I LOOKED AT THE SOURCE OF THEIR SITE, AND MORE THAN THE HALF OF THE DONATIONS IS GOING MORELESS DIRECTLY TO THE SAME ACCOUNT!!!

I don't need to be a Hacker to look at that, Informaticstudent is completely enough.

• HAHAHAHAHA, I LOOKED AT THE SOURCE OF THEIR SITE, AND MORE THAN THE HALF OF THE DONATIONS IS GOING MORELESS DIRECTLY TO THE SAME ACCOUNT!!!

I don't need to be a Hacker to look at that, Informaticstudent is completely enough.

Even if that is true, and I highly doubt it, all you would need to do is go to the mod's site directly and donate to bypass that.