Suggestion: Carbon fibre/rubber boats (not a lava boat!) - Now an addon!

• have the boat BURN THE LILY PADS AS FUEL! :D
    the best part about this thread is every one is so agreeable to adding more boats. (even though alblaka said no to adding vehicles)

Lilly pads as fuel...lol
    Second wouldn't this just be one boat?

"A modern tank can speed at 60 mph while shooting a target with pinpoint accuracy from 5 miles away." Civ-5

• Lava boat sounds more like a reinforced minecart :P

"A modern tank can speed at 60 mph while shooting a target with pinpoint accuracy from 5 miles away." Civ-5

• so back to boats how about it looks like one of those swamp boats with the big fan in the back to show its dominance over the lily pads? and why stop with carbon fiber how about an inflatable rubber raft as an in between (breaks on collision but drops a boat instead of pieces)?

Interesting, not sure why I didn't think about rubber dinghys. Maybe make inflatable rubber (trampoline x5/6) the no-collision-damage one (bouncy bouncy, not much in MC to tear a panel on so breakable only by punch, drops itself), and the carbon fibre one for +10-20% speed (superlight but fragile, drops itself on collision/punch)?

Undecided on an engine-based boat, for simplicity I think we should stick to Steve-power.

(even though alblaka said no to adding vehicles)

Wasn't aware of that, according to compendium only electric carts are off the table.

Lava boat sounds more like a reinforced minecart :P

Think I read somewhere that Notch was thinking about allowing minecarts to also work as lava-boats.

• the fan would be for decoration like i said a show of dominance.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Think I read somewhere that Notch was thinking about allowing minecarts to also work as lava-boats.

You would be correct. But hes not with us anymore so that means someone may have to suggest it to Jeb.

• Why carbon?

I'm assuming you're referring to my suggestion, and not the lava boat ideas. Carbon fibre is the closest we have to the fibreglass/plastic that would normally be used on a modern kayak, and is probably lighter (so potentially faster/more maneuverable) than a wooden boat. It made the most sense to me at the time, and felt reasonably expensive (macerator, compressor, 40 coal + eu). Rubber also sounds like a valid option.

Basically I'm looking for the step above "wooden boat". Either the boat is light enough (carbon fibre) and/or bouncy enough (inflated rubber) that instead of shattering on the slightest impact, it deflects off whatever it hits and either doesn't break, or if it has to "break", it drops itself (you fell out, it capsized, pick it up and turn it right way up).

• +1

Creepers Gonna Creep.

GENERATION 31: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the
    generation. Social experiment.

• Because of the low amount of uses. But Rubber is also possible i think.

Actually the reason, and Im not speaking for the suggestor, is that carbon is lighter, stronger, and longer lasting than iron or wood,

• + 1 - Love the idea.

Also, for the speed boost, only justifies if you consume some sort of power, otherwise its you using your hands to push a boat like vanilla boats are.

• carbon and rubber are lighter than wood I think the new boat should be faster (slightly)

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• + 1 - Love the idea.

Also, for the speed boost, only justifies if you consume some sort of power, otherwise its you using your hands to push a boat like vanilla boats are.

Steve must have some crazy endurance, then, because he can get up to speeds that I'd say would rival an outboard motor with the basic wooden boats.

• + 1 - Love the idea.

The boat still only has 1 "Stevepower" to push itself along, but as myself and others have pointed out, since the upgraded boat would probably lighter, you'd have a higher power to weight ratio. No crazy speeds, probably +10% at the most if anything.

While a slight speed boost would be nice, what I'm really looking for is a boat that doesn't shatter - or at the very least drops itself (capsized). Anything beyond that is gravy.

• +1 as a random idea attack 1 of these :Chainsaw: to it. then could be uses as propulsion (not so sure about water and electrisity and water mixing but hey when has water in this game ever behaved right? so y should it do so now?)
    Or one of these :Diamond Drill: {fix ur diamond drill word to pic recognition please} then there wouldn't be anything left to bump into :D

• Iam pretty sure a boat made of carbon fibers will be destroyed in seconds by lava.

Yes, yes it would but that wasn't the point being made.

Let's put it this way.

Two steves see lava. Steve #1 puts a minecart in the lava to use as a boat. Said cart being made of metal, the heat of the lava easily is transferred from itself..to the cart, and then steve #1 cooking him like one cooks a steak in a pan.

Steve #2 puts his carbon fiber boat in the lava. The boat near seconds later melts and burns leaving him with a sense of maybe he should just go around. Or if he does manage to get in before then he'll drown and burn in the lava rather then be cart fried.