[suggestion/project] hydrogen generator.

• What do you think? addon or core? 16

1. IC2 Core (5) 31%
    2. Addon (11) 69%

Hello people,

today i wil be showing you an project i have been working on, for over 3 weeks and its about time i show you.
    if you are in patient of reading large amounts of text, this suggestion is not for you. it wil require you to fully read all of it
    and base your arguments on this.
    please enjoy!

it is called the hydrogen generator, an new type of energy production device which includes several high tech applications,
    do note this:
    1. it is only capable of powering MFE or MFSU storage devices. thus making this mid tier generation
    2. it expands some machine and storage devices with an additional part in its GUI.
    3. please to not point to denied idea's, this is an personal project from which i believe IC2 may benefit
    in the case it does not make it. i might create an add-on

wel, now i have pointed out some notes of what this addition will mean for IC2's machines/storage. but what is it?
    basicly it is an upgrade to the already existing generator. an hydrogen generator.
    using the purity of water makes it an completely renewable fuel source, but how wil it work?

i have been thinking about one way to create the hydrogen.
    1. electrolysis (requiring the electrolyser.)

lets start with the well known electrolysis of water, this is simply using the EU (electricity) to shock the water into 2 elements
    the O2 (oxygen) and H2 (hydrogen)
    the progres of this electrolysis wil take place inside of the already existing electrolyser, however with an small upgrade requirement.
    -recipe- (dont know)

the electrolyser will be re-crafted in an upgraded version (as for block ID isue i suggest an damage value, for example 250:924 where :924 is the damage)
    this upgraded version of the electrolyser wil no longer electrolyse water cells, but instead wil take in normal water cells and convert them
    into 2 seperate cells (wil require 2 input slots for empty cells) one containing the hydrogen and one containing the oxygen. (empty cells are refunded)
    the cost of this progres is high, it wil require an high input of energy for an surplus of energy (from this point minecraft fysics take place)
    my initial suggestion shall be that the electrolyzer now known as the (suggestions?) wil use 128 EU.tick (output of an MFE) to convert
    water cells into the hydrogen an oxygen cells. (aproximetly 240 seconds for 2 H2 cells and one O2 cell)
    now, why does it have an 2 to 1 ratio? it is becouse water is chemicly build like so: H2o (2 hydrogen 1 oxygen)

so, the 240 seconds translate into an power consumption of 30720 EU.

now, thats part one one the suggestion. the creation of fuel.

part 2 wil be the generator. as recipe:
    -recipe- (dont know)

the new generator wil only accept hydrogen and oxygen as it fuel, thus making it an hydrogen only reactor.
    the GUI wil consist of 3 slots. 2 for the hydrogen and oxygen, and one for the storage items.

this generator wil produce energy like any other generator, use heat to do X (where x is making EU.)
    now, i suggest the output of this generator to be 64 EU.tick, this wil require an burn time of 480 seconds to get out EU back, but it does not stop there.
    it wil burn an additional 60 seconds to produce 3840 EU of surplus, this wil be the profit of the process.

the water we used wil be lost in this progres and disapear in the air.

this is it.. the future of power. i hope you enjoyed reading this!

give me feedback, in the case this suggestion wil not make it. i wil continue to develop this and might even make my own add-on for this.

thankyou for the time spend reading this,

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• Official Post

So you suggest a waterbased Perpetuum Mobile, that makes huge Energyamounts out of less huge Energyamounts, that can refuel itself if Properly set up and doesn't require much Space to build? That remembers me on my RP-Infinite-Energy-Manned-Water-Machine.

I voted for Addon, because Alblaka would never include such Exploitmechanics again.

That what you suggest is pretty much OP, and if we nerf the Exploid away we get the already existing electrolized Watercells, so i think you will have to add that Addon yourself, if you really want it.

Rocketscience has a good Thermonuclearreactor that also runs on Water.

Just a hint, remove all the manually entered Returns on the End of the Lines, because otherwise it makes the Text harder to read if one has a smaller Screen than you.

• wel thanx for the reply gregor,

didnt quite understand the small leters thou (im not an english expert)

it is true that it is an exploit. capable of inmense power. i have also been thinking to add an % chance the seperation of water gets conpleted.
    as for rocket science, i dont like it that much. i know there is an "hydrogen reactor" but that is just OP itself. in living form.

needs serious balancing, preventing exploits. could use your advice if you want to lend it ;)

i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• I kind of like it.

If the generator could be balanced, I think it would be neat to have it atleast as an addon. This would (propably) need a lot of coding and a few new blocks without any other use though. Something of this sort would be an useful thing for some sort of an outpost I'm planning to build. I'd have to see the final recipes and input/output to say yes or no.

By the way, the process of separating water into atoms would actually produce hydrogen and oxygen cells at around 1:1 ratio than 2:1 ,because oxygen atoms are much larger than hydrogen atoms.(coincidentally spent around an hour doing my chemistry homework just a while ago).

• Official Post

didnt quite understand the small leters thou (im not an english expert)

I mean the pressing of the "Enter"-key after you finish a Line of Text, and you've also done it in your second Post.

Your Textformat looks like this for me (i have taken random letters because the formatting was the fail):

ihdghoaldrlbnwslorbjlsrolvbwskrbosujrblovlwsjfnbk,mnckbjsieuhrfiobnsdkcmnbkjrfnbusffbb
    skbdjhvbshrfbv.
    skfbvjhsbjhrbvksjdkfvbskjbdkjsnklfjdnblksjnfkbjnskfjkvbsmcnbkjefnbknjvdnbkdejfnkbdnsc
    smbhdfvj.
    fvkjsnfkjnbdfkbkdjfnkbjednfjknbkdmvcn bjkdfnkbjndkcvmbndkjfnbkdmvnbkjdngfbkskjbdv
    sdkjvskjhbvjsbfsjfnv.

I hope you understood that.

And as i said, make an Addon for that.

• got it gregor ;)

sorry for my absence on the topic, was busy in mosjoen (port) but now back and online :P

• So.

What you just described in a few hundred words is exactly what the electrolyzer does. That's what electrolysis of water for hydrogen fuel is. What you want, or apparently have spend three weeks building, mijnboogje, is a remake of the already-implemented Electrolyzer so that it runs a surplus, not a deficit.

I don't think you have a prayer of getting it into the core.

• what i have been working on (just writing) is an simple expansion of the system, allowing for an more deep way of using it.

• First thought when I looked at the topic.
    Fusion Reactor
    Nuff Said

"A modern tank can speed at 60 mph while shooting a target with pinpoint accuracy from 5 miles away." Civ-5

• First thought when I looked at the topic.
    Fusion Reactor
    Nuff Said

Seriously. Let the O2 blow off into atmosphere and run the H2 cans through the extractor a few times because we have no other way to simulate deuterium refinement. Leave a deuterium cell in a breeder reactor until it overcharges to a tritium cell, and combine them in a fusion reactor. You need three MFSU just to run its tokamak, but the energy production ought to be ludicrous. And if you come near wearing any armor except leather or nanosuit, the magnetic field crushes you against the side of the torus. Everything about this would be delightfully gratuitous, and it could become part of a run-up to IndustrialCraft 3: High-Energy Physics edition.

Other than that, I don't see why we'd want an upgraded Electrolyzer. High costs and exponential growth are Equivalent Exchange's schtick. IndustrialCraft fills a different niche.

• what would you even power with that!? * eagerly points at old warp drive suggestion*

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• and what the heck am i supposed to do with the sun!? i mean seriously what kind of energy sink is that?

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Collect it in buckets that you then pass through an alloyed compressor to use in constructing neutronium, the essential component of all sixth-tier power generation and tools. Sure, the neutronium starts consuming every block in your world on its way to becoming a gravitational singularity sometime in the next million years, but you won't mind, because as soon as you connected your fusion generator to the sun (You would not BELIEVE how much cable this takes.) you automatically terraformed your entire world into a lifeless desert as that sun ballooned into a red giant. Also, you died.