Running a Mass Fab Efficently.

• To get one piece of UU Matter your looking at 1 million EU! But luckily scrap can increase the efficiency of the Mass Fab. Scrap comes from recyclers which produce 1 piece of scrap for (roughly) 8 items/blocks. The best source for "scrap fodder" is a cobble generator. Some people macerate and cook the cobble to make glass for BC pipes.
    Why bother with pipes? The main issue here is the speed at which you can recycle items not the speed at which you can generate cobble. Adding a Macerator just slows things up and wastes resources/power that could be spent on recyclers (and the Mass Fab itself).
    The formula is something like this:
    R = EU/18.86
    Where R is the amount of recyclers required and EU is the amount of incoming power.
    R must be rounded up.
    (You need 1 recycler per 17.86 EU plus 1 EU/t for each recycler)
    Assuming your pulling in 128EU/t you would need:
    R = 128/18.86
    R = 6.787
    R = 7
    Obviously if you are using solars you need to calculate night as well.
    According to the wiki you get power from solars 46.8% of the time (I may have screwed up here it could be 53.2%). So you only need to be running your recyclers at 46.8% the rate.
    6.787 * 0.468 = 3.18
    Or 4 recyclers. Providing you have the storage space:
    The recycler takes 45 ticks an operation. The 4 recyclers are thus generating 1 scrap every 90 ticks. There are (by my calculations based of the solar stuff) ~14835 ticks in a night so you will make about 164.8 scrap a night which is less than 3 stacks of space.

Obviously this guide is assuming your generating 120EU/t but I'm sure you can adapt it for your own needs!

• Could you explain how you got the 18.86?

If I try to recalculate it, I get a different outcome. I've been out of the IC scene for a while, so I could be wrong.

1 uu matter = 1.000.000 eu
    Scrap provides a 6x boost for 5.000 eu
    UU cost with scrap = 1.000.000 / 6 ~= 166.666,67
    Number of Scraps per UU = 1.000.000 / (6 * 5.000) ~= 33,33
    So we need 33.33 scrap and 166.666 uu for a piece of uu matter.

To produce the scrap needed:
    ~33.33 scap = (1.000.000 / (6 * 5.000)) * 45 * 8 = 12000 eu

total EU per UU = (1.000.000 / 6) + 12000 ~= 178.666,67
    The optimal ratio = ~178.666,67/12000 = 14,89:1 ~= 15:1

So I'd say you need a recycler for every ~16 eu.

The formula I'd use would be:
    R = EU/15,88
    or easier to remember
    R = EU/16 + 1

Like I said before, I've been out of the IC scene for a while, so I might be missing a crucial fact.

• Wiki I believe, you do realize I'm talking about EU/tick, as in the amount of recycling needed per EU/t. It worked out to be about 1 recycler for every 17EU/t, which becomes 18 once you factor in the power for the recycler.
    Update you were talking about R to EU/t. My bad.
    Should it not be R=EU/(16+1) or R = EU/17. Because 1 EU is needed for each recycler. Perhaps the wiki was providing the values including the recycler power (it says 17, so I added 1 to get 18), I'll check.

• Info from wiki is not usefull when you start to adding overclockers, do you really want moar uu ? =)
    So, here is two variants:
    1. bc3 gates, and logistic pipes - emit redstone signal when scrap supplier fails.
    2. redpower - you have chest, where you put all scrap, you retrieve full stacks of scraps from this chest with a filter, then you try to put it into a massfab, then, you put all the rest of this scrap in this chest. also you have an item detector on tube after massfab, it emits signal every time, stack of scrap passed here, and reactivates state cell, which, after a not gate, allows massfab to work some small piece of time. If here is no scrap after massfab - state cell shuted down, and not gate emits signal to stop massfab, and when scrap apears again, it allow massfab to work again.

• Official Post

1. bc3 gates, and logistic pipes - emit redstone signal when scrap supplier fails.

What is BC? Do you mean that completly useless Mod, when you have Redpower installed? :D

2. redpower - you have chest, where you put all scrap, you retrieve full stacks of scraps from this chest with a filter, then you try to put it into a massfab, then, you put all the rest of this scrap in this chest. also you have an item detector on tube after massfab, it emits signal every time, stack of scrap passed here, and reactivates state cell, which, after a not gate, allows massfab to work some small piece of time. If here is no scrap after massfab - state cell shuted down, and not gate emits signal to stop massfab, and when scrap apears again, it allow massfab to work again.

Waaaaaay to complex. You just need an Itemdetector, a Redstonetorch and a Pneumatic Tube for that. (See MISEL-Mk-III on Page 4 of my Tutorial)

• What is BC? Do you mean that completly useless Mod, when you have Redpower installed? :D

BC isn't useless :(
    it's totally needed for Forestry (which is better than BC so it's worth having it), it's still better than RP2 for fluid transport and it allows me, together with power converters, to build my ingenious oil-fab-generator, which pumps 300EU/t and looks incredibly stylish (maybe i should post the design somewhere....)

• Waaaaaay to complex. You just need an Itemdetector, a Redstonetorch and a Pneumatic Tube for that. (See MISEL-Mk-III on Page 4 of my Tutorial)

How about a regulator with one piece of scrap in it and a not gate?

• Official Post

BC isn't useless :(
    it's totally needed for Forestry (which is better than BC so it's worth having it), it's still better than RP2 for fluid transport and it allows me, together with power converters, to build my ingenious oil-fab-generator, which pumps 300EU/t and looks incredibly stylish (maybe i should post the design somewhere....)

Oilfabgenerator with Powerconverters? I already built such in MC 1.0.0 (that was the last time, i used the buggy and exploity Technicpack). And for Liquidtransport with RP+Forestry, you can make these Waxcapsules for that, what is much cooler, than a boring waterproof Pipe. And SirSengir claims, that BC is not needed for Forestry (even if strongly recommended), but i will test that later in the GregTower2.

My current Signature is a Challenge for everyone who thinks, that BC or Logisticspipes are needed, when you have RP and Tubestuff installed, but i will soonish show, that you dont even need BC for Forestry (if i get the installation of Forestry to work without BC).

I really like obsoletifying things with Engineering.