[Suggestion] Increase EU output of water mills

• Currently Water Mills produce at best 0.25EU per tick, then loose at least 10% of that on the first cable block. It is required to directly link water mills with a collector or transformer as otherwise too much EU is lost. This in general increases the cost of a single water mill by the Batboxes you have to add, and therefore beyond the cost of wind or solar generators, while producing a lot less EU and building a water works tower is way more complicated.

I think 1 EU / mill (unmanned) is the right amount. This would make them as efficient/material as wind mills (~2EU if placed correctly) but with a guaranteed output. The drawback is the difficulty in building a proper water mill tower, which is way more complicated than placing wind or solar generators, but then produces a more reliable output.

I think the material cost can stay the same, as you need a Batbox or MV-converter every 3-4 water mills if you build a tower of them to not loose too much EU on the cable.

• Currently Water Mills produce at best 0.25EU per tick, then loose at least 10% of that on the first cable block. It is required to directly link water mills with a collector or transformer as otherwise too much EU is lost. This in general increases the cost of a single water mill by the Batboxes you have to add, and therefore beyond the cost of wind or solar generators, while producing a lot less EU and building a water works tower is way more complicated.

I think 1 EU / mill (unmanned) is the right amount. This would make them as efficient/material as wind mills (~2EU if placed correctly) but with a guaranteed output. The drawback is the difficulty in building a proper water mill tower, which is way more complicated than placing wind or solar generators, but then produces a more reliable output.

I think the material cost can stay the same, as you need a Batbox or MV-converter every 3-4 water mills if you build a tower of them to not loose too much EU on the cable.

1 EU/t ??? are you completly mad ? It's as the Solar Panel Output, wich is harder to get (and the craft give only one)
    Watermill are not used to create EU in Water Tower, they are used to produce EU Vs the Steve's attention (I mean to produce EU with using Infinite Water Source, Bucket and the GUI)
    They are a good way to start, that's all.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• lol.
    Watermill would be OP if creating 1EU/t.
    2 EU per gen (i do not count the wood, of course) Vs the amazing cost of the solar panel ?

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• I think 1 EU / mill (unmanned) is the right amount.

The output/cost would beat any place and forget generator and the wiring isn't hard if you have any idea what you're doing. Windmills produce about 1,5-1,9 EU/t on average(if placed so that they don't ever break) and they cost two times more with an additional four iron for a total of 12 iron per windmill vs. two watermills which would produce 2 EU/t for eight iron. Solars output/iron is even lower and even worse as solars require a lot more stuff than just the iron and they don't even work during the night. If buffed this much I'd say watermill would beat even nuclear power.

• I just wish that the bug with the EU measurement would be fixed.

"1593 EU/t!"
    "-1023 EU/t!"
    "3 EU/t!"
    "-3691 EU/t!"

It's rather annoying when you're trying to measure how efficient your water tower is.

• What was the reason (if any)? Just out of curiosity.

its a thing that has to do with ballance between the different green generators. solars pro is convenient setup its con is how expensive it is, waters pro is its cheap and has manned mode its con is its less convenient to set up(but that is debatable if you just use tin cable and a existing body of water to submerge it instead of building a tower), for the pro's and cons of wind ask spwnx he is our resident wind-nut.

now for a crash course in cables. you don't experience % powerloss with every block. you experience as a set amount of loss after a set amount of blocks with copper you lose 1eu per packet on the fifth block so if there is always a batbox or transformer as the fifth block then you experience no loss. tin is made for green generators because you experience no loss until block 40 but tin can only handle up to 5eu packets so after 40 blocks you have to connect to a batbox or transformer and use copper

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Official Post

I just wish that the bug with the EU measurement would be fixed.

"1593 EU/t!"
    "-1023 EU/t!"
    "3 EU/t!"
    "-3691 EU/t!"

It's rather annoying when you're trying to measure how efficient your water tower is.

Ey! Try measuring one water mill directly with EU-reader, if it has all water blocks [25] it will measure 0,25 EU/t for 16 ticks and 0 for 4 ticks [average 0,2 Eu/t]
    Just do a math, Total water mills x 0,2 EU/t

for the pro's and cons of wind ask spwnx he is our resident wind-nut.

Wind pros is its relative cheapness [cheaper than solar at least], its higher average output and that works all time.
    Wind cons is its difficulty to place efficiently.

• Ey! Try measuring one water mill directly with EU-reader, if it has all water blocks [25] it will measure 0,25 EU/t for 16 ticks and 0 for 4 ticks [average 0,2 Eu/t]
    Just do a math, Total water mills x 0,2 EU/t

Wind pros is its relative cheapness [cheaper than solar at least], its higher average output and that works all time.
    Wind cons is its difficulty to place efficiently.

Ok, so if watermills only produce .2 EUs on average when fully surrounded by water and are a little less than half as expensive as solars, as well as working during the night, that makes them harder to setup, for less power production-per-cost, right? I think it deserves a little buff at least for the unmanned generation, because right now it does seem underpowered... Though obviously 1 EU per tick is NOT what I'm talking about, more like increase from .2 EUs (on average) to .3 EUs (on average)?

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the
    generation. Social experiment.

• Water mills produce 0,25EU/t if placed correctly.
    The placement should (has) to be a 3x3 cube of water with the water mill in the middle and a tin cable directly on top of/ under/ on the side of the water mill and the "main" cable going to the batbox/MFE/MFSU two blocks away from the water mills.

Dude... use Tin cables. Problem solved...

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• or you can use redpower to fill your bukkit and pull the empty ones out of your watermills, there you have your 2 eu/tick

• Official Post

Water mills produce 0,25EU/t if placed correctly.

Nope. Try measuring directly a water mill fully surrounded by water. It will show 0,2 average of 20 ticks. Wiki is wrong.

or you can use redpower to fill your bukkit and pull the empty ones out of your watermills, there you have your 2 eu/tickR

Thats impossible for Massive Eu/t generation systems, unless you are able to hold huge item on tube lag.

I would like if water mill unmanned output is doubled [or increased to 0,5/t] AND its recipe output halved. [1 generator + wood -> 1 water mill]
    This making water mill towers a good way to generate energy compared to solar/wind.
    Water mills have the problem of hard [time consuming] instalation.

• Wait a minute... aren't the EU/t from the generators configurable in the IC2 config file? So then this suggestion is pretty much pointless right, because it can be changed to whatever "balanced" amount anyone thinks it should be, right? Unless those generator numbers in the config are for something else...

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the
    generation. Social experiment.

• Official Post

Wait a minute... aren't the EU/t from the generators configurable in the IC2 config file? So then this suggestion is pretty much pointless right, because it can be changed to whatever "balanced" amount anyone thinks it should be, right? Unless those generator numbers in the config are for something else...

I suggested a change to default configuration + recipe.

Double EU/t and halve recipe output = Less work/space installing water mills but still receiving same Energy.
    If you are making massive setups that will be much easier. Then water power can be a good source compared to solar/wind.