[Suggestion] Chance recipe for Tin Can

• The canning machine currently is capable of producing any kind of food by packaging it into Tin Cans, which is convenient, there are however two issues with this:

- A single Tin Can currently requires 5/4 tin bars (5 tin bars = 4 Tin Cans) which is extremely expensive, given that 4 tin bars equal 16 cells.
    - A filled Tin Can restores only 1 heart, which makes it very time consuming to bring up your health bar.

In general this makes bread a much more convenient resource, as it is easy to acquire, does not consume any materials (as wheat regrows) and bread restores 2.5 hearts each.

I suggest the following change:
    - Change recipe for tin cans to use only 2 tin bars (same recipe as making a stick out of wood) and return 8 tin cans. This would transform tin into cans at the same rate as cells.
    - Have a filled tin can restore 2.5 hearts (same as bread).
    - Change some of the canning recipes accordingly to keep them in line with the increased heart restoring, e.g. it would require 2 rotten flesh now to fill up one tin can or 3 melon slices.

With this change the canning machine would be a nice yet not overpowering alternative to create food for a player. The benefit of it would be that any kind of food can be transformed into edible food and can be stacked, while on the other hand it is more complex to generate this food and requires EU to produce it.

• Official Post

.From that what i read, i think that you are playing on MC 1.8.1 or a more outdated Version. You sound like that you eat the Tincan itself, what is fixed LOOOOONG time ago. Anything is good and balanced with the Tincansystem, so why change it? Tin is not that expensive.

• I am playing 1.95b and yes I know that you do not loose the cans.

The reason for the change is simple: there is currently no reason to use canned food as bread is easier to produce and gives you back more hearts. The high cost to produce the tin cans initially is another point against them. Usually you are in need of food only very early at the game and at this time you are not swimming in resources. Now wasting the few tin bars you have at that time would be stupid, and later when you have the tin to spare, you no longer need any food machines are you probably have one or more wheat fields available.

• I am playing 1.95b and yes I know that you do not loose the cans.

The reason for the change is simple: there is currently no reason to use canned food as bread is easier to produce and gives you back more hearts. The high cost to produce the tin cans initially is another point against them. Usually you are in need of food only very early at the game and at this time you are not swimming in resources. Now wasting the few tin bars you have at that time would be stupid, and later when you have the tin to spare, you no longer need any food machines are you probably have one or more wheat fields available.

Tin can are not made to feed you, but to health you, you know ?
    So use it as an Adventurer, not as a Miner, i.e. when fighting against mobs. You won't have this type of problem. If you prefer not wasting tin and using it only not to die of hunger, don't use it.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• I suggest the following change:
    - Change recipe for tin cans to use only 2 tin bars (same recipe as making a stick out of wood) and return 8 tin cans. This would transform tin into cans at the same rate as cells.

What? Are you high? 8 cans for only 2 bars? No just no. Besides you only need to have 10 of those cans unless you lose them so the actual recipe its good enough, 15 tin bars its all you will need, and you can't complain tin is scarce because its fucking not.

- Have a filled tin can restore 2.5 hearts (same as bread).

Nope either, Tin cans are supposed to be a perfect, Zero waste source of food. Before minecraft change it, food could not stack but it was different with the tin cans. IF you can't stand wasting 5-8 secs eating all the food you need then your time must be too valuable and i don't know wtf you are playing this game in the first place.

- Change some of the canning recipes accordingly to keep them in line with the increased heart restoring, e.g. it would require 2 rotten flesh now to fill up one tin can or 3 melon slices.

See above. Also like someone stated above, Tin cans give a lot of saturation, a secondary food stat that prevents you from speeding through your reserves, think of it as a invisible food bar.

• first vanilla food hasn't directly restored health since the intro of the hunger bar while food cans restore 1 hunger and 1 heart per can
    second cans are reusable cells are not
    third like you previous suggestions please try to gain a better understanding of how the mod works before posting more suggestions that try to "fix" what is already in the mod

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• The amount of tin required to make a can is proposterous. and unless you are using equibalent exchange it can be hard to get enough tin to get all of the rotten flesh out of your inventory :P:Iridium: http://forum.industrial-craft.…f/images/smilies/mfsu.png

... Someone call the president, a Satellite Laser Facepalm is need for this and we need him to push the button...

The amount is FINE, 15 tinbars for 12 cans that you can REUSE its good enough.

Unless you want to stack every single type of food under Tin Cans, i don't see the need to make more of those.

• The amount of tin required to make a can is proposterous. and unless you are using equibalent exchange it can be hard to get enough tin to get all of the rotten flesh out of your inventory :P:Iridium: http://forum.industrial-craft.…f/images/smilies/mfsu.png

all of you who obviously don't test things before posting "fixes" get this through your thick skulls the reason cans cost so much is because YOU CAN REUSE THE CANS! and another thing ITS TIN! the world is lousy with it and if you need more just have ic2/rp2/and forestry generate ores at the same time you'll have more tin then you know what to do with you won't even bother macerating it anymore. so stop wasting our time

p.s. if you don't have enough space to store all your food then support this suggestion-> http://forum.industrial-craft.…page=Thread&threadID=6218

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• As I see it,Tin is completely one-time use resource.Buckets,cans,cells..sometime ago I didnt use cells and had,like,stacks of tin blocks.If you rethink it - where do you use tin? not much,do you? and tin can..with IC2 it is temporarily,as you craft Quantinum armor helm you wont need food ever.And why do you really need alot of cans? having 20 is really alot of time running.half a stack is just no-brainer for such convinent food storage.And how much would you like?

• Say you want a stack of tin cans, generally the amount of melons I carry around with me. It costs a stack and 16 tin bars. In return for that, you're never going to have to craft more again. I have entire chests full of tin, I don't get how you can have so little that you can't one time use 1 and a quarter stacks of it.

• I tried that saturation thing with the cans, however I can't really see much difference to stacks of bread (although I wasn't monitoring it that closely). In the end bread still is easier to create and more conveniently to use imo.

Regarding the cost argument: if you have way too much tin to spent, well yeah that it doesn't matter how much the tin cans cost. It could be 20 ingots or 1, you still would have too much tin afterwards. However at the start of the game tin is very valuable and not that common. If I have to decide whether I spent that tin on a single can, or create 20 cells with it to power my generator to generate 400,000 EU , I will probably use it for the generator. At the point however where you no longer need that much tin, you usually have other ways of generating food at hand (otherwise you would have been starved to death long time ago), which makes can food irrelevant.

• As for the part of the endgame stuff, Usually I use tin cans after an MFS but before quantum, simply because you can turn every food type in one stack. Also, they heal hearts. no other food in minecraft does this.