[Suggestion] Reusable Cell (no, not tin!)

• {u]Assumption:: I'll be referencing a mechanic present in RP2. I'm aware this is IC2, but I am assuming that the mechanic is in forge, and not exclusively in RP2. Secondly, I know that by the time you are able to acquire this, tin will not be an issue at all.

Summary A cell that can not only carry a large amount of lava, but can be reused once empty.

Recipe: I've a number of possible recipes, but all are decidedly high end. One has a single iridium plate and tin cell(s). Another has 4 iridium ores or 4 iridium plates.

Usage: As one would use a normal cell. However, on each use on a lava source, the "iridium cell" would charge (like a battery or an electric tool). On placing into a geothermal generator, it would discharge its stock of lava until empty (like a stack of cells would normally). It would not disappear, but would simply be an like an empty battery ready to be recharged on the next lake of lava.

Capacity: Another property I'll leave to any implementer. It would need to be evenly divisible into the range of possible values for damage, but for the price I would hope it would be at least worth 64 lava sources.

Additional Possible Usage: When crafted with an empty bucket, it will fill that bucket and subtract a single 'charge' from the cell. Or, one could instead place both a bucket and the cell into a custom-built machine, but a machine for one purpose has been denied very often. This is the RP2 mechanic; used mostly with the saws, but similar is used for crafting drills and saws out of full batteries, so I'm assuming this is a forge thing.

Thanks for reading.

• I see no problem with this, It actually might make geothermals used into the late game. at least for me. 4 iridium plates though, that's a lot of EUs you would need to drain several lakes of lava to recuperate that power. And what happens when you fill it partly with lava and partly with water.

• You should be unable to mix liquids.
    If it cannot "get" liquid" it should try to "put" it. So trying to mix lava and water will result with obsidian outside.
    Also it should be valid container for any liquid in game: Milk, Oil, Honey, ...

• I see no problem with this, It actually might make geothermals used into the late game. at least for me. 4 iridium plates though, that's a lot of EUs you would need to drain several lakes of lava to recuperate that power. And what happens when you fill it partly with lava and partly with water.

Yes, that was why I was thinking more along the lines of a single iridium (ore or plate) with a cell. You can say that one wrapped it around. Could justify any recipe once you figure out where you want it.

So far as the mixing of liquids, I would fall on the side of it being impossible. Try to do so and the grab just fails. Making it able to hold different liquids was actually something I hadn't considered. It would likely complicate the implementation, but any support I have on that assertion is me just making suppositions, so I'll stay out of that particular hole. :)

In short, no to mixing, and a maybe to having the cell able to hold large quantities of multiple liquids (one at a time).

• Better option would be to allow for the 'remelting' of Obsidian into Lava source blocks, and simply reharvest them to avoid 'transport cost' with Tin...

Man, do I love Custom Recipes for those kinds of options, lol...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Better option would be to allow for the 'remelting' of Obsidian into Lava source blocks, and simply reharvest them to avoid 'transport cost' with Tin...

Man, do I love Custom Recipes for those kinds of options, lol...

does custom recipes do machine recipes as well? like can i make a recipe where if i throw lava in an extractor i can get randomized metal ingots out of it?

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Official Post

does custom recipes do machine recipes as well? like can i make a recipe where if i throw lava in an extractor i can get randomized metal ingots out of it?

In the IC²-API is a hook for that, but its in "<inputstack> -> <outputstack>"-Format, so no randomizing.