[Suggestion] Torchgun, to enlight Caves with style

• Official Post

While playing around with my Portalgun in a Stronghold, i realized that Portals are glowing, and i can shoot them, so i came to this Idea:

Why not making a hayoish Gun, that shoots Torches on Walls?

The uses of it are really simple, but very helpfull:
    - You can shoot your Torches at the upper Layers of a Ravine, to prevent Mobspawning (or raining Mobs from up there).
    - You can enlight Parts of Caves, which are far away from you, before entering them (or to not have to enter them).
    - You could use it to shoot Mobs or Players (only 2 Hearts or less damage).
    - You can enlight Dungeons and Mobspawners much easier from distance.

This Gun is not supposed to be a Weapon, because it does even less damage than a Bow, and IT WILL NOT INCINERATE MOBS!

It's an Idea, so discouss about it. :D

• That reminds me of certain bow with torchs of Terraria.

The idea is good but I would rather prefer shoot flares (sticky falres, yes, thanks again Terraria) than torchs.

• All they need to do is add another mode to the mining laser that shoots torches on the wall and takes torches from your inventory.

• May be slightly OP, so no damage whatsoever on mobs might be better (But still knockback, like snowballs). Also, may be a little too easy to light up caves with it. Would it use energy when you fire it? Anyway, nicely presented and good idea.

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• A very good idea.

A new Mining Laser mode that will take torches from the player's inventory and lob them a fair distance that also does no damage to mobs, but does knock them back. I can see this mode maybe using a few EU more than the low focus mode.

+1

• Official Post

Just a Question: HOW does the Mininglaser shoot TORCHES?!?! It's a friggin' LASER and not a Gun! I never said something about the Laser, i said Torchgun, nothing else.

Yes, it would use EU, like nearby all the other IC²-Tools. It could also be possible for me to add a Dynamitelaunchfunction to it, but that's already denied/industialconflicted.

• It could also be possible for me to add a Dynamitelaunchfunction to it, but that's already denied/industialconflicted.

Dont forget a bayonet, to yell "CHARGE!" when you're out of ammo.

/ontopic

If you shoot one of those torchs(flares D:>) in a dark cave full of mobs, it should attract them a few seconds. You know, for balance lulz and cats purpose.

• Official Post

LOL Idea, but the Cat-Distractment-Beam is more for the Mininglaser.

But changing mobbehaviour would need a Forgehook, because IC² never changes something without Forgehooks.

• why a gun? why not just add sticky torches?

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• I'd like to see the torch arrows seen on that extended 2x2 crafting suggestion/mod/etc.

yeah but then the n00bs would be all MAKE ELECTRIC BOW PLZ, Y U NO MAKE ELECTRIC BOW? I WANTZ ELECTRIC BOW!

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• this sounds like a great idea, and for balance but still fun, no damage makes sense, but having some sort of chance to light your target on fire seems plausible.

• this sounds like a great idea, and for balance but still fun, no damage makes sense, but having some sort of chance to light your target on fire seems plausible.

standing near a torch doesn't set you on fire so neither should a torchgun. netherrackguns on the other hand would be more than adequate for the aspiring pyro especially since mojang is taking away wood slabs fire proofness in 1.3

• Cave Johnson here, ever try to throw a torch? me neither. You know why? it lights things on fire. Things we don't want on fire, like expensive lab equipment instead of test subjects. That's why the boys down at the lab came up with this, the brand new Aperture Science Flameless Light And Radiation Emission Gun, or F.L.A.R.E. GUN. Just give it a steady supply of adhesive(Sticky Resin), then fire harmless light emitting devices at any range. Of course, they fall apart if you try to remove them, but who needs renewable light sources with technology like this at your fingertips? Use it to light caverns from afar, prevent monsters from falling on you, or make glowing graffiti of your favorite company logo! Cave Johnson, we're done here.