[Suggestion] Electric Chunkloader

• Official Post

Hello, potential Consumer of GregTech Intergalactical,

Today we will show you the newest Invention of our Factorybranch, the "Electric Chunkloader"!

You have may seen it already, by our Concurrents like Railcorp, Telepipe or even by Miracleworks, it is capable of running your Factories 24 hours a Day, 365.24 Days a Year, without interruption, if you have enough Energy to run it that long. "But it costs me 32 EU/t, why i should use it?", Good Question, lets answer with one of our special Features, like independence from Railcorps Chunkanchors, Telepipes Chunktethers and these strange magical Earthrunes made by Miracleworks. If these companies are not there and you have to use Chunkloadmechanisms, what are you doing? Going to Powertech and asking for a Chunkloadgate? NO, they don't even made one! We are using a Chunkloadmechanism from Forge-International and a lot of our Circurity to enable YOU, an HAYOish independence of these Companies.

Of course, we are not showing you our Blueprints for that Device, you have to buy it from us, for only 2 Stacks of UUM!
    not including shippingcosts, we are NOT accepting Credits and we are currently out of stock!

---------------------------------

So and that's the Suggestion explained for lazy people:
    This is a 3x3 Chunkloader, which costs EU (configurable, but i would say 32 EU/t by default) and can, if unwanted, be disabled via config.

IC² is a Factoryutilitymod, it should have its own EU-eating Chunkloaders.

• Good suggestion, Greg. I don't use any other Mods with ChunkLoaders, so I would appreciate this. Keeps me from having to AFK at my automatic macerater and smelter all night.

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• Official Post

It should have some neat features though - like activating spawners/mobspawning or just acting like a player entity
    preferable configurable per chunkloader to optimize performance (via gui or something)
    But i doubt thats possible..

That would be OP, i just want to keep my IC²/RP-Factory loaded, without having to use Thaumcrafts Chunkloaderrune (which is of course not SMP). I also want to let it cost EU, so that these Chunkloaders dont get spammed in SMP. And a 3x3-Area is the minimum of Chunks to keep loaded (No one wants to measure Chunks and moving Frames would need that, and yes Framecompatiblity would be nice), a 5x5 would be OP and causes more Lag, than needed.

These Chunkloaders will ONLY stop to load Chunks, if they are out of Energy (They should have an internal capacitor of 1000000 EU through a Lapotroncrystal in the Recipe), NO REDSTONESIGNAL TO SHUT IT OFF!!!, YOU NEED TO USE SPLITTERCABLES , AND THEN LET THE LOADER GO OUT OF ENERGY TO SHUT IT OFF!!! You may ask why? This is, because you could just switch them off, if you are near enough to keep the Chunks loaded by yourself (So no Energysaver, without a bit of Engineering), and we need a small disadvantage to make it a less OP Chunkloader, than all these other FREE ones.

• What? Disadvantages for a chunk loading block? Energy Costs? Opness? Like i remember reading somewhere in the topic of the "Original Chunkloader":

Why charge us so high for a solution for a derpy problem that comes from minecraft/mojang itself? (Not exactly the same wording, but it was along those lines)

Chunk-unloading and shit was done not because of some balance stupidity or something, but to save resources and shit on computers that could barely run minecraft (And Servers, no matter how high end those may be, trying to keep a whole near infinite and ever growing map its going to take a heavy toll on their resources)

You either do a simple chunkloading block or do nothing at all, no reason to over complicate it really. If you want to slap a Eu cost to it just to make it seem more "Industrialish" then fine, but it should not be so prohibitive (Unless you are a server hoster and don't want your users to spam those chunkloaders like they were some shitty solar panels)

• Official Post

As you may read it, i said that there should be a config for the EU-cost, so you can set it to 0 and you get your simple Chunkloader. And a Chunkloader with 32 EU/t (or your configurated EU/t) cost and an internal 1000000 EU-Capacitor is not that complicated because it doesnt even has Redstonecontrols.

These Chunkloaders will ONLY stop to load Chunks, if they are out of Energy (They should have an internal capacitor of 1000000 EU through a Lapotroncrystal in the Recipe), NO REDSTONESIGNAL TO SHUT IT OFF!!!, YOU NEED TO USE SPLITTERCABLES , AND THEN LET THE LOADER GO OUT OF ENERGY TO SHUT IT OFF!!! You may ask why? This is, because you could just switch them off, if you are near enough to keep the Chunks loaded by yourself (So no Energysaver, without a bit of Engineering), and we need a small disadvantage to make it a less OP Chunkloader, than all these other FREE ones.

This my friend, is called overcomplicate it.

• Official Post

This my friend, is called overcomplicate it.

That was just a try to explain why it has NOT a Redstonedeactivationfeature.

Its just 1000000 EU internal Storage + 32 EU/t as costs (if Config is left to Default). NOTHING MORE!

Was that single Line overcomplicated? I don't think so.

Edit: To explain it a bit better to you, FenixR:
    The Disadvantage is ONLY when you shut it off (via Splittercable), you have to wait until all the stored EU (could be anything between 0 and 1000000 EU) is out of the Machine, before it shuts off and stops to consume Energy.

• Official Post

Chunk-unloading and shit was done not because of some balance stupidity or something, but to save resources and shit on computers that could barely run minecraft (And Servers, no matter how high end those may be, trying to keep a whole near infinite and ever growing map its going to take a heavy toll on their resources)

Thats the reason why i asked for a simulated player entity
    that'd be the only reason to prefer the ic chunkloader over other ones.

Edit: To explain it a bit better to you, FenixR:
    The Disadvantage is ONLY when you shut it off (via Splittercable), you have to wait until all the stored EU (could be anything between 0 and 1000000 EU) is out of the Machine, before it shuts off and stops to consume Energy.

well, you could just put a batbox in front of it - problem solved and no need for an internal eu storage.

• Official Post

Thats the reason why i asked for a simulated player entity
    that'd be the only reason to prefer the ic chunkloader over other ones.

I also don't think that the Chunkloadforgehook can do that.

well, you could just put a batbox in front of it - problem solved and no need for an internal eu storage.

Not if some Troll sets the config to 30 EU/t or another Value, which is not divisable by 32. Or we just make it use 30 EU/t by Default, so the remaining 2 EU/t are filling up the 1000000-EU-capacitor.

• Official Post

I still say that the only way to shut it down via waiting for his internal buffer to deplete its stupid and unnecessary.

I just want to prevent Noobs from using it too much on a Server.

Is the addition of a Minimumcharge of 1000000 EU before the Chunkloader starts loading better for you? I just dont want to make it too easy to cause Serverwide Blocklag with it.

And if you dont like it then switch the config to 0 EU/t and you get your independent, simple and free Chunkloader.

• You don't have to place something so stupid as only On when fully charged and off when fully depleted, that would make it more frustrating to use more than anything.

If you don't want people spamming it like a shitty solar panel like i said above, just up the amount of energy it needs to keep it in operation. Even a second option for servers could see some use, "Increase EU/t with time" in other words if you keep the chunkloading operating for long periods of time then the amount of energy it needs will keep increasing, something like it start at 1eu/t but after 5 minecraft days it becomes 6 eu/t or something. (Of course if something like this is added it would need a Cooldown period between each on/off so people don't pulse the operation of the chunkloader, although i doubt it would work that well but still safe measures are useful)

• Official Post

You don't have to place something so stupid as only On when fully charged and off when fully depleted, that would make it more frustrating to use more than anything.

If you don't want people spamming it like a shitty solar panel like i said above, just up the amount of energy it needs to keep it in operation. Even a second option for servers could see some use, "Increase EU/t with time" in other words if you keep the chunkloading operating for long periods of time then the amount of energy it needs will keep increasing, something like it start at 1eu/t but after 5 minecraft days it becomes 6 eu/t or something. (Of course if something like this is added it would need a Cooldown period between each on/off so people don't pulse the operation of the chunkloader, although i doubt it would work that well but still safe measures are useful)

Wow, i didnt thought about that. Thats a very good Idea (if the Cooldown is configurable too).

Well then we could just throw my old Energycapacitor-Idea into Garbage.

• I would like if chunkloader is configurable by a GUI and you select the chunk area you want to load. (1x1, 3x3 , 5x5 ...) and the more chunks you load more it consumes [like 10 EU/t per chunk loaded].

I think the cost should increase the farther away you get from the loader block. If it was linear, people would only have to make one block and just jack up the area covered. If the cost increases the farther out you go, you'd have to decide whether you want to spend more energy on the single loader or spend resources/time on making more.

• Official Post

But if player is offline (SMP), how it would calculate distance? (infinite?)

Another way : The more tech blocks inside the loaded region , the more energy it costs to maintain it loaded.
    Formula would be : 0,25 EU/t per generator (0,1 if water) + 1 EU/t per machine
    For example, 2 Generators (of any kind, except water) + 5 machines = 2(0,25) + 5 (1) EU/t = 6 EU/t

Or, loaders would reduce efficiency of ALL machines inside loaded region by 50/75% (Generators included) , if its not loaded by any player nearby.

• Woops, I didn't mean distance away from the player. I just meant the distance away from the loader block itself. For example, in a 5x5 square, the chunk the loader is actually on could take 8 EU/t. Then the 8 chunks around those chunks could take 10 EU/t each, the next 16 around that could take 14 EU/t each. A chunk that's 3 chunks away from the loader could cost 20 EU/t. This would make it so that you could use a single loader to keep a decent-sized area loaded, but for better efficiency you would want to make more individual loaders, keeping smaller areas loaded.

Edit: Totally awesome picture illustrating cost. On the left side, the loader would be set to load 5x5, or 25 chunks for 312 EU/t. On the right, the four loaders would each be set to 3x3, loading a total of 36 chunks for 352 EU/t, so you have roughly 21.7% savings at the cost of building more loaders.