Suggestion: Adjustable Storage/Transformer

• Official Post

Adjustable Multi-Functional Storage Unit (AMFSU) :
    Stores the same energy as a MFSU and has Ajustable Output and a Maximum Input (How many EU per tick can charge the AMFSU)
    GUI:

AMFSU does not explode due overvoltage. (accepts any voltage)
    Input: 0 for no limit. 1 - Inf+ Maximum EU Input (Incoming EU, not EU packet size)
    Output: 0 - 6 ULV packet , 7 - 32 LV packet , 8 - 128 MV packet , 129 - 512 HV packet , 513 - 2048 EV packet

Adjustable Multi Voltage Transformer (AMVT) :
    Transforms All EU incoming, into a packet size chosen by player.
    GUI : picture above with only Output ( + and - ) Buttons and 5 buttons to choose packet size.
    (Ultra Low Voltage [6], Low Voltage [32], Medium Voltage [128], High Voltage [512], Extreme Voltage [2048]).
    Output : Limits EU flow ( 0 for Infinite , 1 - Inf.+ for desired EU flow)

Example : If Output value is 768 and packet size is High Voltage, 768 EU per tick are allowed to flow, transformed into 512 EU. packets (send 1 packet in the first tick and 2 in the second tick)

• Wow... I support this wholeheartedly. Well thought out and even has an example GUI.

Now just to figure out a recipe for it...

If the IC2 devs don't adopt this, then I genuinely hope someone turns this into an addon.

• This actually seems pretty useful. Could also be used to allow output of lower EU/P power using a machine that still has good storage potential. Only issue would be that you can't go over 2048 (unless it is right next to something like a teleporter). Still, it sounds like a good idea. Maybe if it could be used with something to be set to output a certain amount of power with a redstone input it could be used for power control in a city or town.

• Official Post

I would rather have all the batboxes MFSU and MSU to work like this... Alas i believe its not really possible due to the inner workings of the E-Net.

If Generators can set their Output, and Machines can set their Input, then a AMFSU can set both.

And i like that Idea of setting Output and Max Storage for MFSU, MFE and Batbox to values inside their boundaries, for example:

Batbox 8-32 EU/t, 32-40000 EU-Storage
    MFE 33-128 EU/t, 128-600000 EU-Storage
    MFSU 129-512 EU/t, 512-10000000 EU-Storage

And yes you cant set a Batbox to a value lower than LV (Tincableabuse), also not the MFSU to a value higher than HV (EV-Transformer would be useless), and they cannot output outside their boundaries of LV, MV or HV, because it would make Transformers completly useless.

• U haven't convinced me enough Greg... (can i call u like this? ^^)

Even if u have the possibility to set up 8 to 32 for the batbox, for example, u will want to have the MAX output to feed your machine as fast as possible...
    I can't immagine an useful application of this as the union output-input of battery-enet-machine are far too convinient for correct setup.
    Unless there are machine that can input beetween LV and MV or MV and HV i think this is cool but unneeded and also remove completely the need of transformer upgrade that become obsolete...

So, i'm ok with the AMFSU witch is a "upgrade" or even a better tier of battery, but only because this is like an MFSU with an HV-MV-LV transformer build-in and don't mess up with the low tier e-net as Fenix saied...

Anyway i want suggest my idea of recipie for this new IC2 miracle:

:Cable::Advanced Machine::Advanced Circuit:
    :HV-Transformer::MFS-Unit::MFE-Transmitter:
    :Advanced Circuit::LV-Transformer::Glass Fibre:

Where :Cable: is x3 insulated iron cable and :MFE-Transmitter: is MV transformer.

For the AMVT transformer:
    Even if the voltage can be selected from input and output this is only a Transformer chain compressed into a block so i'm ok with this...

:Advanced Circuit::HV-Transformer::Advanced Circuit:
    :LV-Transformer::Advanced Machine::LV-Transformer:
    :Advanced Circuit::MFE-Transmitter::Advanced Circuit:

where :MFE-Transmitter: is again MV transformer.

• The Idea would be good, if Transformer weren't already implemented. What would they do if it get implemented ?
    (I agree with KeyMaster [or with parts of what he says])

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• After a few i come to a possibly use of this:
    if u can adjust the output of the battery, AND if u have to connect far away machines that accept MV for example, u can over-charge a little the cable over MV like 130 EU/t to compensate EU cable loss and feed the machine at max as possible, BUT this is a really hard and accurate set up... even a block of distance between batteries and machines can make the difference from "heaven of efficency" and "catastrofic boom"...

• Official Post

For the AMVT transformer:
    Even if the voltage can be selected from input and output this is only a Transformer chain compressed into a block so i'm ok with this...

Not really, my idea is it also be a EU-Flow Limiter (You can decide how many EU/t can go through the transformer, in different packet sizes [ULV probably won't be supported as people would abuse tin cables])

So i can send any amount of energy through a transformer without limiting EU flow (LV transformer limits up to 128 EU/t , MV transformer 512 EU/t , HV transformer 2048 EU/t )
    For example, if i want to transmit 20480 EU/t (40 MFSUS), into a single (long distance) Extreme Voltage cable, I would need 10 Reverted HV transformers to do the conversion to EV and also 10 transformers on every place i want to convert back to HV (making these on towns would be a real mess).

• Not really, my idea is it also be a EU-Flow Limiter (You can decide how many EU/t can go through the transformer, in different packet sizes [ULV probably won't be supported as people would abuse tin cables])

So i can send any amount of energy through a transformer without limiting EU flow (LV transformer limits up to 128 EU/t , MV transformer 512 EU/t , HV transformer 2048 EU/t )
    For example, if i want to transmit 20480 EU/t (40 MFSUS), into a single (long distance) Extreme Voltage cable, I would need 10 Reverted HV transformers to do the conversion to EV and also 10 transformers on every place i want to convert back to HV (making these on towns would be a real mess).

If i understand the concept correctly, i can set up any EU/t that i want into the packet size that i want, from LV to EV...
    So if i have to send 20480 EU in one tick i can choose one of the follow type of sending option:

-10 x EV packets
    -40 x HV packets
    -160 x MV packets
    -640 x LV packets

Not sure how much lag this can cause.
    As i'm not a griefer and i don't love high eu loss, i for sure will choose one of the first two option due to the job...
    BUT this is convinient only with ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF EU!
    I also think that no one can afford such a EU flow and make it constant... so this is important only in moments of peaks...
    So the main and most important capacity of AMVT, i think, will be the option to function like a compact all in one transformers, able to convert any size of packets into another in only one block...
    And by the way, i'm a lover of compact setup, so i will anyway prefer this capacity to the other one ^^

• The only problem I can see is people using the Transformer to allow unlimited power transition down tin cable to save on using Fibre cable or losing EU on EV Iron cable. Of course this can be counter acted my making the Transformer + 39 Tin cable cost more than a HV transformer and 39 Fibre Cable, thus making the Fibre option the better way in that case and the EV option still the cheapest

• the solution is simple:
    the transformer isn't allowed to convert down to ULV...

Due to this fact, his range of conversion is 6 EU/t to infinite EU/t...

I guess if it's the case to limit even the infinite...

20480 EU/t makes me worries about lags seriously...

• Official Post

Well, my 100 wind towers (6400 wind mills) really DOESNT lag me. [It is at SMP]

• Well, my 100 wind towers (6400 wind mills) really DOESNT lag me. [It is at SMP]

really? that's good... i don't really play smp much... i wanna, but if my pc go on 12 fps on ssp i find hard to go on multiplayer (i'll finally get a new PC soon :rolleyes: so i hope this become possible)... so i can't imagine even 1/10 of the your surely impressing power plant :S ... i simply reasoning on very littler scale ^^ a personal use scale... i'll never needs more power that 2 mark II at full power, so u understand that i can't figure out what that massive EU production is for/are made from... maybe if u have 500 people on a server that makes sense... i'm a skilled builder on littler scale, i'm able to make a complete fully alimented and automated IC2 lab into a 9x9 room in no time with no cable in sight, but i'm a totally noob on a production of that type ;( ...