[Suggestion] Resin Collector

• Name: Resin Collector

Details: Very simple idea: craft together a treetap and a bucket to get a resin collector (much like the ones used on real-life maple trees in Canada). Right click with one on a resin hole to place it on the hole. There will now be a little treetap coming out of the tree and a bucket below it (probably a very squarish model or even a planar sprite stuck perpendicular to the trunk). The bucket will now hold onto resin as the tree forms it and it comes out the tap; it will slowly fill (one resin per resin hole recharge, as opposed to one to three manually harvesting), having a maximum capacity of probably about 10 resin. Right clicking the bucket will empty it and give you the resin harvested.

Balance: For an increase in capital costs (one bucket and one treetap for each resin hole), harvest costs are eliminated (don't use up treetaps or energy on electric treetaps); for a slight decrease in maximum yield per time (only one resin is produced each time a resin hole reforms, as opposed to the one to three resin one can get from manually harvesting every resin hole as soon as it regnerates), it yields a significant increase in yield per harvest (up to ten (or so) resin per harvest, as opposed to one to three for a regular harvest) provided harvests are spaced far enough apart.

In short, if you tap rubber trees irregularly, you can invest in the buckets required and you won't have to have as many rubber trees to get enough resin at a go. If you regularly tap your rubber trees soon after they recharge, you'll see little to no benefit and could forgo the costs of the buckets.

Recipe: One treetap in the middle and one bucket in the bottom center.

• Official Post

I like that Idea. It shouldve worked like that in the first place (realism). The Resin should regenerate slower (50%) on those Buckets to make it less abusable.

As for the Code: I know it would have to change the Resinholeblock (and so the Rubberlog) to a TileEntity, but that doesnt impact the Framerate.

• +1 Sounds good to me!

1. OMG CREEPER RUN AWAY!
    2. Go away, you creeper wierdo!
    3. What ever, I'll just go around.
    4. Hup, over their heads I go!
    5. Okay Mister living grenade, I'm going to knock you into those skeletons, and I'll follow through with a nano saber. Understood? FOR THE ALMIGHTLY DRAGON LORD!

• i wish people would stop putting up little changes until a few big things are finished, like industrial conflict
    but aside from that, i think that this is a cool idea, so i guess :thumbup: +1

Ephesians 4:29
    Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up,
    as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

• i wish people would stop putting up little changes until a few big things are finished, like industrial conflict

So you're saying you want 90% of people to stop saying suggestions? What in your opinion is a good suggestion to something major? So far most major suggestions I have read have been bad

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

Smaller suggestions are easier to rationalize and implement, and some of them can make certain aspects quite a bit easier. For example, this suggestion needs only a Tile Entity that stores how much resin has accumulated, a sprite, a timer to increment resin stored, and miscellaneous stuff like a crafting recipe.

• Maybe give it an inventory instead of just right click to harvest? Yes, I want to be able to pump the resin out. Outherwise its deployer+stick and transposer time.

• I was thinking of this tree tap bucket things. If right click empties the inventory, then put a deployer with a stick in it facing the resin collector. I mean, you could always just build a forestry rubber farm. From personal experience I end up recycling most of the resin coming out because "oh good god too much rubber". I mean, after running one on a server for a day I could have supplied every male in China with a box of condoms.

• I was thinking of this tree tap bucket things. If right click empties the inventory, then put a deployer with a stick in it facing the resin collector. I mean, you could always just build a forestry rubber farm. From personal experience I end up recycling most of the resin coming out because "oh good god too much rubber". I mean, after running one on a server for a day I could have supplied every male in China with a box of condoms

Not everyone uses every possible additional mod with IC2. I would think suggestions would best be made based on IC2 with no other mods - and this certainly works well for that.

On the same note, a deployer with a treetap in it wouldn't work? Funny.

• Just to make it clear, I wasn't saying it was a bad thing. In fact, I'd like it to have an inventory because I'd like it to play nice with other mods. Interoperability is a very good thing in my opinion. Of course, I come from the "give me all the mods, ALL OF THEM MWAHAHAHA" school.