Mining laser feature creep

• Is laser feature creep a problem that should be addressed? 21

1. Yes (11) 52%
    2. No (10) 48%

So, when I first installed IC2 in December '11, the mining laser had five modes; now, it has seven. This by itself isn't bad -- I use the horizontal mode all the time, and super-heat is cool for those who don't have an EE philospher's stone, but it's incredibly annoying having to sift through 7 different modes to find the one that I want when M+Right-clicking. Is anyone else annoyed by this?

• Yeah it can be an inconvenience at times when your enemy is firing at you and you forgot you had your laser on horizontal way away from explosive or long distance, but are you simply asking like a poll or are you going to make a suggestion like a mining laser gui?

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• CrafterOfMines57 -- I don't really want to make a suggestion if it turns out I'm the only feeling that problem. . . I guess I'm not. I think I'll add a poll to the OP, though.
    baturinsky -- My problem, personally, isn't the extra key, its that if I want to change modes I have to sift through 7 options to find the one I want.

And I'm not sure if making the laser interface more complex is a good idea, I personally think the current IC2 implementation of item modes is simple and effective. One idea I think is interesting is splitting the laser functionality: for instance, in addition to the current laser, there could be a destructive laser (explosive, scatter, and long-range only), a digging laser (horizontal, mining, and low-focus modes only), and a heat gun (super-heat mode only, and maybe a bit more energy efficient).

• And I'm not sure if making the laser interface more complex is a good idea, I personally think the current IC2 implementation of item modes is simple and effective. One idea I think is interesting is splitting the laser functionality: for instance, in addition to the current laser, there could be a destructive laser (explosive, scatter, and long-range only), a digging laser (horizontal, mining, and low-focus modes only), and a heat gun (super-heat mode only, and maybe a bit more energy efficient).

Well that is actually a very nice idea!

My idea:
    Laser Gun (explosive, scattered, long-range)
    Mining Laser (horizontal, mining, low-tange)

And about heat mode I think it's useless, kinda...

Quote from Alblaka

Teh ULTIMATRON 5000 super-efficient, no-risk, never-cooldown-ned, breeding-integrated, never-hungry reactor

• Well that is actually a very nice idea!

My idea:
    Laser Gun (explosive, scattered, long-range)
    Mining Laser (horizontal, mining, low-tange)

And about heat mode I think it's useless, kinda...

That's nice, you may think it's useless but that doesn't mean everyone does. I use it all the freaking time to do the cobble to stone thing when I get a mining laser.

• Any mode on the laser that works without destroying blocks randomly? I was having a "blast" with the laser until I realized that it has a chance to "destroy" a block. After that it was back to the diamond drill again...