Power miner through the pump to free up a side

• I'm planning on making a mobile mining platform using frames and miners (yeah, I know, real original ^_^), and the problem I ran into is that to be completely automated, the miner needs to mine on bottom, fill mining pipes on top, and the 4 sides are chest, pump, power, and pneumatic tube for retrieving/replacing drill. There's nowhere to put a frame! I know RP is eventually going to get a tube frame, but I have no idea how long we'll have to wait for that.

Something that I think would not only solve that problem, but also simplify basic miner setups and reduce support issues for new players is to allow the miner to take power from a powered pump next to it. I haven't had time to test it, but I recall seeing somewhere that the basic machines (macerator, extractor, etc) already do something like this, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to include this feature.

The server I play on is running on a slightly older version of tekkit since the admin has gone MIA for a little while, so my apologies if there's a new/another way to do this. I know I could probably rig up some sort of breaker/deployer to swap parts, but it's kinda ugly and I'm trying to design for a very tight envelope. Suggestions for other methods would be appreciated as well. I searched the forums but didn't see anything concrete about how to do it another way.

Cheers

• Official Post

I'm planning on making a mobile mining platform using frames and miners (yeah, I know, real original ^_^), and the problem I ran into is that to be completely automated, the miner needs to mine on bottom, fill mining pipes on top, and the 4 sides are chest, pump, power, and pneumatic tube for retrieving/replacing drill. There's nowhere to put a frame!

There is a Way: Place a Frame under the Miner via Deployer after the Miner got retracted, then move the Platform and blockbreak the Frame to mine again.

I know RP is eventually going to get a tube frame, but I have no idea how long we'll have to wait for that.

It will take a loooooooooooooooong while.

allow the miner to take power from a powered pump next to it.

Good Idea.

I haven't had time to test it, but I recall seeing somewhere that the basic machines (macerator, extractor, etc) already do something like this

No, they dont do that. But the Electrolyzer and the Teleporter can directly draw Energy from adjacent Energystorageunits, so it's not a Problem

The server I play on is running on a slightly older version of tekkit since the admin has gone MIA for a little while, so my apologies if there's a new/another way to do this. I know I could probably rig up some sort of breaker/deployer to swap parts, but it's kinda ugly and I'm trying to design for a very tight envelope. Suggestions for other methods would be appreciated as well. I searched the forums but didn't see anything concrete about how to do it another way.

Do not mention Tekkit, the most people here dislike that.

I like the Idea itself, so +1.

• Support it.
    Using PR2 tubes for output instead of chest would help too but it seems to be harder way.
    Even better way would be to teach Miner to take Pipes/Filler from Chest or sort any item inserted to right slot but...

• I'd like if machines would transfer power between each others without the need of cables. Didn't they actually do that earlier?

• made it long time ago. don't remember exactly how. Done it by replacing tubes\wires\frames around miner using rp2 machines.

frame only needed while moving, so replace it with wire once in place.

that thing was flying around\mining\coming back and dumping goodies in pipes (rp2 computer with cycles etc)

tons of work and programming though

Communication and discussion + constructive critisism = Good Ideas

• Done it by replacing tubes\wires\frames around miner using rp2 machines.

Exactly same. My miner setup with deployer/blockbreaker fits in 5x4x4.

I don't think it's a bad solution, since frames were supposed to be able to hold RP all microblocks (namely, pipes) inside. That said, I wonder if we're going to see RP release anytime soon.

• Pipes inside frames would be awesome!!!

Last time I tried frames it didn't move BC pipes at all.
    Thank gods it is more friendly with IC2 stuff.
    Good work out there eloraam!!!

but you'd better hurry since MC1.4 is coming soooon !!!!

Communication and discussion + constructive critisism = Good Ideas