Zeream's Advanced Science Addon for IC2
Alright, here is the story behind this. No, its not at all like the industrial gasses mod that got canceled (alright, yeah, it kinda is, but I don't care since this is going to be MY addon), since this is more about buildcraft liquids and SCIENCE! The inspiration behind this mod comes from a few things:
First, what kind of industrial facility, mad scientist, or anything these days is complete without liquid nitrogen? Its literally the liquid of SCIENCE and PROGRESS! Second, with the new reactor components on the way and probably much heavier reactors requiring much higher cooling values with higher EU output and risk, this allows one to maintain very dangerous reactors in a slightly more realistic way. Plus its buildcraft compatible, and who doesn't like more buildcraft liquids? Third, I felt that water as a coolant in creations was nice, but with numerous tiers of fuel and a single tier of coolant made it pretty stale in some respects and limited creativity.
Now I don't believe in free energy as much as the next guy, but there really wasn't a way to gather nitrogen in any real way besides the air. I don't feel like implementing some type of new ore, and getting nitrogen in mass quantities from dirt is just retarded (because everything that uses dirt in a recipe is retarded, including the terraformer, which is an utterly pointless machine). So, the only option left was to get it from the air. That's how we get it anyway, but not without cost. High voltage requirements for high grade coolant is what I have in mind here, coupled with an mid / endgame recipe for the machine that creates it.
I also feel like adding some other sciency additions to this mod, like dedicated laser mining rigs and fusion reactors. And yes, I realize that the majority of the stuff here is not really useful, but its still fun!
So yeah, this mod is still completely in the planning stage. I'm completely new to minecraft modding, but I have 2 years of javacode under my belt so it won't take long for me to pick up. (plus with all those programs that make addon and mod making easier). While I learn the kinks to that, I thought I'd brainstorm with the rest of the community to see what everyone likes (and hopes that the almighty Alblaka implements this if it actually garners some success). Don't be afraid to tell me if any of this is already planned in vanilla IC2. Also, new ideas for this are welcome (as long as it uses liquid nitrogen). REMEMBER: NOTHING IS FINALIZED!
I need help with this mod!
I need someone to help make block textures since I'm terrible with pixel art, and someone else to make sounds for the new machines!
As a notice ahead of time, I'm sorry if this is chock-full of grammatical errors and stuff. I typed this all at like 4 AM while sick with the flu. Keep with me here.
- the star of this mod, introducing an all new sci-fi-esque cooling agent, liquid nitrogen! Everything in this addon revolves around this liquid.
- can fill a cell to create a cooling cell! Also, cooling cells are now STACKABLE up to 64! Yay! Now crafting those reactor parts and overclocker upgrades is no longer painful!
- transportable by buildcraft waterproof pipes
- can cool buildcraft engines with double (or more, debating) the coolant value of water. Note to make compatible with buildcraft-ic2 converter mod because I like that one.
- used to cool various creations, such as superconductor wire, nuclear and fusion reactors, and much more!
- used to load the fire extinguisher
- can only be carried by hand in special containers, which I get to next.
- when poured from a vat (right-clicked in world) will cover all surfaces it travels across with snow and freezes water and lava. Source block evaporates after a few ticks. Same (or less for balance?) spread value as water. May or may not make it so that the liquid harms you on contact.
Helium and Hydrogen:
- Additional materials as part of this mod.
- Hydrogen is primarily used as fusion reactor fuel (addressed later), but it must be refined first. It is worth 10k EU.
- Helium is used in balloons. It is also reactor fuel, but it must be refined first. It is worth 2.5k EU.
- Both are produced only in the refrigeration unit.
- extractor: hydrogen cell -> hydrogen fuelcell
- crafting (h = helium cell, f = hydrogen fuelcell, 0 = placeholder):
0 f 0
f h f = Helium fuelcell
0 f 0
- The above reciepe is used for balancing, since helium fuelcells by themselves have a chance to make uranium when spent in a fusion reactor. As such, they should not be easier to get than hydrogen fuelcells.
- Hydrogen fuelcells and helium fuelcells are used as the fusion reactor fuel.
- Basically the same thing as a bucket, except that it can hold more liquid and more volatile liquids. For example, since liquid nitrogen vaporizes on contact with atmosphere it needs an enclosed container, thus the vat.
- can hold up to 4 buckets
- Will act similarly to the painter so you don't mix liquids accidentally.
- shapeless crafting: filled vat + cell = empty vat + desired cell <- inefficient, intentional since steve is clumsy and for balancing
- canning machine: filled vat + cell = partially filled vat + desired cell <- efficient, intentional. For example, if water, you get water cells, lava makes lava cells, and nitrogen makes cooling cells.
- canning machine: empty or partially filled vat + cooling (or water or lava) cells = filled vat
- refrigeration unit: empty vat or partially filled nitrogen vat = filled nitrogen vat
- Crafted like so (i = refined iron, 0 = placeholder):
0 i 0
i 0 i
i i i
Refrigeration unit (better name pending):
- liquid nitrogen and hydrogen (and sometimes helium) can only be obtained by the Zeream-Cryogenic Atmospheric Refrigerator (better name pending).
- the good news: Since air is free, so is liquid nitrogen! Not really, requires EU to work.
- recipe (w = windmill, c = cell, k = coolant cell, q = canning machine, a = adv circuit, m = adv machine):
k w k
c q c
a m a
note: Needs a windmill because its the only fan block in minecraft which is used to cycle air into the machine. Canning machine is part of this because this shares many of the same functions as one, as you will later read.
- works like the recycler in that it has a chance of generating liquid nitrogen or hydrogen successfully. NOT like the recycler in that it doesn't need item stacks for fuel.
- accepts 32 EU/tick normally, upgradable like other machines. Based on community response, may boost this to 128 and make it treat as advanced machine upgrade values, or accepts 512 with no upgrades at a fixed efficiency.
- one cycle of operation takes 32 EU per tick, one operation unupgraded is 20 seconds long (will have community determine balance value), making each complete operation worth 12800 EU. If made to work like an adv machine, will take 5 seconds per operation at 128 EU per tick (still 12800 EU), and as HV machine will be set at 2 second per run (still roughly 12800 EU per bucket).
- Has interior storage tank at 16 buckets, so the machine will continue to run until full of liquid AND all items in input slots have been taken care of, until it runs out of energy.
- buildcraft liquid compatible. Encouraged, actually, since it makes pretty much everything in this mod really hard to maintain without them
- efficiency based similarly to how windmills work with surrounding blocks, but restricted to blocks above the machine instead of all around it (since it sucks air in and doesn't rely on air currents).
- if you place a water cell in the hydrogen slot of the refrigeration unit, it will have an increased chance (10%) to generate a hydrogen cell. (NOT buildcraft compatible, because it still needs the cell!)
- standard chance to get a bucket's worth of liquid nitrogen per operation is 66% (close to our atmospheric value, but I'll let community debate the chance).
- hydrogen fuel is byproduct of same process to get liquid nitrogen, but chance to be produced is 5% each cycle. Yes, standard atmospheric values label hydrogen at 0.00005% of our atmosphere, but nobody wants to wait 2 million machine cycles to possibly get it. Yes, you could get it from water, and this thing does that. Kinda.
- helium cells are a byproduct, have a 10% chance per operation of getting produced in hydrogen slot.
- GUI works like so: You have the standard 4 upgrade slots and EU storage slot. Then you have 2 input slots and 2 output slots; one for liquid nitrogen and one for hydrogen. Hydrogen is NOT treated as a liquid, and such requires a cell in its input and will put a hydrogen (or helium) cell in the output, which can be refined further into a hydrogen fuelcell. Liquid nitrogen IS treated like a liquid, so cells or vats in its input slot will be filled and turned into coolant cells / filled vats.
(further stuff on next page)