Sugestion: Added realism to Reactors

• Before I start, this is not a "I hate the new reactors" thread.

With all the changes to reactors, i think there is only one thing that could make them better (in my opinion). Real Neuclear Reactors need a constant supply of water to help keep them cool. By using a pump, you could fill a internal tank to help keep the reactor cool, increase the speed of cool down and add a sense of realism to the reactor. You could also add compatability for Buildcraft/ Red Power 2 liquid pipes and create a mechanic that could make the "I want CASUC's back now!!!" people. If you add in your own way of transporting liquids, you could also make them require power to run (if you do, can you make them so that they cannot use neuclear power under any circumstances?) Opinions, anyone?

• I agree with pumpable CASUC, but I think this need config so it can be enabled and disabled so all the OP whiners won't complain

Dota 2 player at SEA server.

For me nothing is OP. It just a mod for fun and I'm playing it for fun. Unless it created items from nothing. Automining not included, neither do in case of self replicating machine. However GregTech is still good, so:

GregTech Documentation Task Force Needed!

• My opinion is that this thread is a little soon, we just got a complete rework and people have just gotten used to the new system. Personally I think you should wait a bit before suggesting any major/minor changes to Nuclear Reactors.

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• My opinion is that this thread is a little soon, we just got a complete rework and people have just gotten used to the new system. Personally I think you should wait a bit before suggesting any major/minor changes to Nuclear Reactors.

I also agree with this

Dota 2 player at SEA server.

For me nothing is OP. It just a mod for fun and I'm playing it for fun. Unless it created items from nothing. Automining not included, neither do in case of self replicating machine. However GregTech is still good, so:

GregTech Documentation Task Force Needed!

• I think, that water - usage should be added. In any way, for faster cooling, for more interesting setups, for ANYTHING - water should be present. Yes - devs have a shitton of work. Later, yes - in a new way - yes, innovative - yes.

I probably should of added it in to the original post, this is a sugestion and I am positive that if it is added in, it won't be any time soon. i just wanted to know of people's opinion on the matter

• Im starting to ask myself, if people are asking for more "Realistic" Nuclear Generators now, why they didn't do it before?

The new generator basically works the same way but with added components and stuff, this is baffling me.

The main reason why im sugesting this is because i liked the original water cooling method. What im sugesting is a expansion on the original water cooling. I would be happy if they bring back the original way

• Im starting to ask myself, if people are asking for more "Realistic" Nuclear Generators now, why they didn't do it before?

The new generator basically works the same way but with added components and stuff, this is baffling me.

Do you actually know how reactors worked in 1.2.5? Did you use them? What type of 1.2.5 breeder is your favorite?

• Do you actually know how reactors worked in 1.2.5? Did you use them? What type of 1.2.5 breeder is your favorite?

IF you are such and expert on the issue why not give me a compressive list on the difference of both reactors so everyone can see how different both reactors are.

• IF you are such and expert on the issue why not give me a compressive list on the difference of both reactors so everyone can see how different both reactors are.

i don't mean to be rude. But can we please keep this thread an arguement FREE thread. If you have a problem, please use the PM system

• Its difficult discussing if the reactor should or should not be more "Realistic" if we don't present any "Argument" explaining why it should be or not, so an argument free topic its impossible or at the very least impractical. If you are refering to the "Violent" kind of argument, do not worry i never take anything personal or go beyond talking about the topic in question.

And since i forgot to respond to baturinsky, yes i know how nuclear reactor worked in 1.2.5, you placed uranium cells in it to produce energy simple as that (yes it will explode if you leave it like that but it doesn't affect how it works until it explodes), so how they work in 1.1.0.6? You place uranium cells in it to produce energy. That part really didn't change at all, the only thing that really changed its how to cooldown the reactors before they reach the critical mass. I admit that never used breeding reactors so i can't say much on it both before and after the update.

• Its difficult discussing if the reactor should or should not be more "Realistic" if we don't present any "Argument" explaining why it should be or not, so an argument free topic its impossible or at the very least impractical. If you are refering to the "Violent" kind of argument, do not worry i never take anything personal or go beyond talking about the topic in question.

And since i forgot to respond to baturinsky, yes i know how nuclear reactor worked in 1.2.5, you placed uranium cells in it to produce energy simple as that (yes it will explode if you leave it like that but it doesn't affect how it works until it explodes), so how they work in 1.1.0.6? You place uranium cells in it to produce energy. That part really didn't change at all, the only thing that really changed its how to cooldown the reactors before they reach the critical mass. I admit that never used breeding reactors so i can't say much on it both before and after the update.

What I ment was what you and baturinsky arguing on the differences between reactors in 1.2.5 and 1.3.2

• Bad Choice of title if you don't want people discussing about reactors. Fine if baturinsky still have interest in that chat he can post it in the thread of "Realism" or whatever.

And for your "suggestion", i would say no, the whole cooling system is handled by the use of the Cooling cells and heat vents. And if we look at it right, you are asking for a way to pump water directly into the nuclear reactor, a "suggestion" that if my memory doesn't fail me was already rejected with the previous reactor system, so i don't see why it should be applied to this new reactor system.

• Bad Choice of title if you don't want people discussing about reactors. Fine if baturinsky still have interest in that chat he can post it in the thread of "Realism" or whatever.

And for your "suggestion", i would say no, the whole cooling system is handled by the use of the Cooling cells and heat vents. And if we look at it right, you are asking for a way to pump water directly into the nuclear reactor, a "suggestion" that if my memory doesn't fail me was already rejected with the previous reactor system, so i don't see why it should be applied to this new reactor system.

1. The title was about the discussion of CURRENT reactors and the pumping in of water. NOT the reactors in 1.2.5

2. Thankyou for you opinion on the matter, i had no idea that the sugestion had already been posted. My apologies

• IF you are such and expert on the issue why not give me a compressive list on the difference of both reactors so everyone can see how different both reactors are.

Yes, I am expert, in fact. But I just wanted to illustrate a reason of misunderstanding. It's because different people see and use reactors very differently.

For some players reactor are just Mk1/2 reactors. For others it's reactors with automation applied and with uranium used at best possible effectivity (or so), aka CASUCs and breeders. So, people that only know about mk1/2 reactors can't understand that reactors' potential was nerfed. And that coolant cells and heat dispensers are not necessary, or even desirable parts of reactor.

I'd go in details, but this would be off-topic. So, here is your "compressive list"

1. Cooling with water inside reactor (realistic) is disabled
    2. Cooling with ice inside reactor (realistic) is disabled
    3. Cooling with water outside reactor (realistic) is disabled
    4. Cooling with vents (unrealistic) is now mandatory (alternatives are even more unrealistic)
    5. Cooling with redstone and lapis (extremely unrealistic) are presented as a replacement for cooling with water. Insult to injury
    6. Heating cells (even more unrealistic) added and is mandatory for breeding. What they do is great, but it would be better done with items that cool instead

So, all realistic kinds of reactors are removed and unrealistic ones became even more unrealistic.

And, "realistic" in this context is not just "like in reality", but also "like in Minecraft". Cooling with water is a part of vanilla Minecraft (water cools lava), and part of many mods (water is coolant in BC and RP). Heat=energy is a part of Minecraft (furnaces), even more so for IC (generators, thermal generators) and other mods (BC engines, RP thermopiles, etc). So, 1.3.2 reactors design contradicts established Minecraft traditions too. I'd go on (and on, and on), but again, it's a too big topic to discuss it here.

• Before I start, this is not a "I hate the new reactors" thread.

With all the changes to reactors, i think there is only one thing that could make them better (in my opinion). Real Neuclear Reactors need a constant supply of water to help keep them cool. By using a pump, you could fill a internal tank to help keep the reactor cool, increase the speed of cool down and add a sense of realism to the reactor. You could also add compatability for Buildcraft/ Red Power 2 liquid pipes and create a mechanic that could make the "I want CASUC's back now!!!" people. If you add in your own way of transporting liquids, you could also make them require power to run (if you do, can you make them so that they cannot use neuclear power under any circumstances?) Opinions, anyone?

Like you have said, in one of your recent posts, this is just an idea and due to the recent rework, might not be added until down the line, but one thing i see is that Industrialcraft isn't meant to be this 'Ultra Realistic' mod. I view it in a way that it is supposed to have a sense of reality to it, but not overall based on real-life components. The problem i see with this is that, if there is anyone new to the community, a change like this may lead the newer community away from reactors, which, for most that have been here a while enjoy. I think this may have been a good suggestion before the new rework, but i think there is a reason why the devs removed water cooling from reactors. I do like the Buildcraft/red power functionaliy idea, however it seems we cannot base updates around other mods ( for obvious reasons.) I think that this system could be abused, much like the old CASUCs were, leading to the problem of OP reactors once again.

This is up to the devs, but i think that if this were to be added it could be abused, i like some of the ideas, but you must not view it from a 'realistic' perspective but from one of balance.

Thanks,
    LilGimli

• you wont have a chance to run cacus without RP anyway, just sit and wait or do it yourself.

Assuming you mean Casucs, yeah, about that.

Also

Thanks,
    LilGimli

You do realize you can set a signature, right?

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l