[Suggestion]: Create coal from compressed plantclumps

• Name:
    Create coal from compressed plantclumps

Describtion:
    I was thinking, is it possible to maybe create a recipe to create coal from compressing Compressed Plantclumps?

Coal is a useful fuel resource, but I was thinking of a way to make it, without it being too overpowered and unbalanced. I don't think it would be too overpowered for diamonds either, since it takes a decent amount of saplings and resources to be able to create a compressor?

If you think this is unbalanced, maybe someone can suggest some tweaks to make it more balanced. I know you don't exactly want people "growing" diamonds as it were. I just thought using Compressed plantballs was reasonably logical, as that's what coal is ;)

Recipe:
    Compressing a compressed plantclump would create one coal

• Personally I think that this is a feature which forces you to consider your coal use: you have a choice use coal as a cheap energy resource or save it for other things
    and as to diamonds... I have an automated reeds farm with pistons which provides >32 reeds every ~ 3 minutes Not to mention the really easy to set up massive cactus farm
    Case closed. it would eventually be immensely imbalanced to grow diamonds

• Personally I think that this is a feature which forces you to consider your coal use: you have a choice use coal as a cheap energy resource or save it for other things
    and as to diamonds... I have an automated reeds farm with pistons which provides >32 reeds every ~ 3 minutes Not to mention the really easy to set up massive cactus farm
    Case closed. it would eventually be immensely imbalanced to grow diamonds

Hmm, I suppose you make a good point regarding it becoming too overpowered regarding diamond production.

What do you use the reeds and cactus for? Sorry, quite new to IC

• Official Post

in IC1 plants was usefull for crafting single use batteries, now farming useless.

You can burn them in generators straight off with a BC pipe system and you can turn them into plantclumps and make biofuel out of them or just dump then in a recycler. Lots of uses. Which is the opposite of useless. :P

• in IC1 plants was usefull for crafting single use batteries, now farming useless.

In this case, what we need is a Bio-Battery recipe then.. which I do agree for...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• I was also thinking, coal is useful for the carbon recipes.

But if it's considered to be too overpowered compressing plant matter further into coal, then maybe it's a bad idea. Maybe plant matter could be compressed into carbon, giving more carbon for items.

I haven't played IC for long, so I don't know as much about balance as a lot of you.

• it would eventually be immensely imbalanced to grow diamonds

uhm, you can already grow diamonds, in a way. Use one of the mentioned cacti farms -> recycler, make scrapboxes = unlimited amounts of everything of value (and some new crap to feed back into them).

As much as I like the scrapboxes I also think they are the most unbalanced part of IC. Sure they can contain total crap like a gold helm but still, a free to maintain (unless you have NatureOverhaul) cacti farm -> recycler renders going out for resources unneccessary. At first I thought they were gone in IC2 because of that but they are back in v1 so I guessed wrong : /
    Maybe they'd just need an adjusting in their ratio of crap vs useful things but then again, just size up your farms and add a few more recyclers ^^

I even had my recycler set up that it had a BC filter where I could just open the boxes into, everything I marked as crap was immediately fed back into the recyclers xD the rest went through the sorting system.

Thinking about this I think you can even get 'free' uranium that way, well not from the scrapboxes but maybe the scrap boosts the matter gen enough so a few uranium cell could produce way more than 6 matter per cell (6 = 1 uranium) so you'd end up gaining uranium without doing anything.
    I'll test that later, after I found a new reactor design.

On my install Mining Drill doesn't give off any sounds at all o.o
    Help! Somebody fix that please!
    Wait a sec... damnit.

no idea if he was serious but either way that was damn funny xD

• If you want to make coal, it might be a bit more balanced if you have to macerate charcoal to get charcoal dust, which can be extracted to get pure charcoal dust, which then can get compressed into coal.

The advantage of this is that it is 2 or 3 times more complicated and time wasting than mining for the coal by itself...

• Personally, I would note that the Scrap system really doesn't seem right to me, as a bigger issue than being able to get coal dust.
    I will have to think of a *better* system, and post an elaborate suggestion on it.

• Certainly some better ideas than mine here :)

Maybe the one about charcoal dust to coal dust, and then compressing it.

Certainly, something that complex could avoid diamond growing. I didn't propose the idea to make diamond growing easier. But more to allow for coal to be used as both a fuel, and have enough to create diamonds and armor. All of these things need the coal dust at the end of the day. And it's logical to create coal from plants/trees at the end of the day.

Probably someone who has played IC for longer can think of a more balanced proposal that Alblaka might consider without it being too overpowered and encourage diamond growing.

• Because coal is used in higher tier recipes...in bulks as well. I use charcoal as my fuel source or plants. Charcoal will take a while to get considering you have to chop down the log and burn it, but in the long run it helps. I save all my coal, by the time I use them, I have about 7-9 stacks of coal ready to macerate.

Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.9 GHz | Asrock 970 Extreme3 | 12GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 | Sapphire Flex HD 6870 @ 1000/1100 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD | Hyper 212+ | OCZ Fatal1ty 550w PSU | NZXT Gamma Classic