Direwolf20's Lets Play, featuring Industrial Craft, with Buildcraft and Equivalent Exchange

• Official Post

Hey everyone,

This is my first 'Lets play' series, so please check it out and leave me some feedback. I know my mic needs a little fixin, you should be able to hear me but theres a bit of background clicking noise.

UPDATE: I've got a playlist now: http://www.youtube.com/playlis…962A16319&feature=viewall

I'm up to episode 14

Here's my first video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…ture=youtube_gdata_player

And heres episode 8 (if you want to see how things progress, its one of my favorites) -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…L81C5AE2962A16319&index=8

Heres episode 27: a new favorite that REALLY showcases all these mods working together.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…ture=youtube_gdata_player

Enjoy!!

• Hey, i found this post by doing a google search for "minecraft buildcraft industrialcraft quivalent exchange", in your youtube video, it says your running all three at the same time (with TMI), on version 1.7_03, is this correct and how did you do it? because every time i try to, my quarry (from buildcraft) doesnt work (it just sits there when activated, it only builds one block of the frame) but everything else works... i suppose, its really a post for the buildcraft forum, wherever that is...

• Hey, i found this post by doing a google search for "minecraft buildcraft industrialcraft quivalent exchange", in your youtube video, it says your running all three at the same time (with TMI), on version 1.7_03, is this correct and how did you do it? because every time i try to, my quarry (from buildcraft) doesnt work (it just sits there when activated, it only builds one block of the frame) but everything else works... i suppose, its really a post for the buildcraft forum, wherever that is...

How are you powering your quarry? And yeah...Those 3 mods together are awesome, I'm using them as well.

Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.9 GHz | Asrock 970 Extreme3 | 12GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 | Sapphire Flex HD 6870 @ 1000/1100 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD | Hyper 212+ | OCZ Fatal1ty 550w PSU | NZXT Gamma Classic

• How are you powering your quarry? And yeah...Those 3 mods together are awesome, I'm using them as well.

I have the same problem. I configured my settings to work with a constant redstone signal but I've tried clocks as well and nothing seems to work :( Please please help!

• Official Post

I just tested Quarries in my test world (Total hax with TMI). This is the exact same mod setup i use for my Lets Plays -- but a different world where I test my stuff before building.

Quarry + Iron Engine + Oil + redstone. It works like a charm :). If you are using Buildcraft 2.1 you need to find oil, and build a combustion engine. My lets play features them all.

If you're unsure of your installation, I have a video on how to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS3y0sqZdMY

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• I just saw your latest lets play episode and your comment about how your induction furnaces weren't getting enough energy. The copper cables has nothing to do with your problem. A copper cable is capable of having 1000 EU running through it as long as each chunk is only 32 EU big.

Your problem is that your only outputting 32 EU through your one batbox. What you can do is put a second batbox in parallel (not series) with the first one. Have the input from your LV transformer go into 2 batboxes and then have both of those outputs to the same wire. This will give you 2x32 EU and since the induction furnaces uses 16 EU each you will have a spare 32 EU for your macerators or even another induction furnace. This also has the benefit of giving you a little more direct storage.

One LV Transformer can actually simultaneously keep 4 battboxs hooked up in parallel with power even if they are being drained at 32 EU themselves. Remember the only thing that the LV Transformer does is it just splits the power from one 128 EU chunk into 4x32 EU chunks in the same tick so it will still transmit that whole 128 EU in those 4 chunks on the output side.

However I would probably go with an even better option which would be to use the LV Transformer directly. Simply destroy your two batboxes on either side of the LV transformer and replace them with a wire. This will allow your whole shop to use up to 128 EU at one time, which should be plenty. Though don't worry about waste because if you don't need the whole 128 EU it wont request the whole 128 EU and therefore it will only output what it gets in. You will lose some storage but at your stage a couple of batboxes worth of energy is nothing.

All people dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in
    the dusty recesses of their mind, wake in the morning to find
    that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous people,
    for they dream their dreams with open eyes, and make them come true.
    --T.E. Lawrence

• Official Post

Cool, thanks for the info Iced! I'll look into it, and might make the change. You'll see in Episode 15 I do a little re-wiring, but not for this purpose :).

If I eliminate the BatBoxes, won't the current output from the LV still be 32 though, therefore if those 5 machines are still hooked up to the same LV Transformer, they can't get supplied with enough juice?

I think the only way to fix it would be to move one of my Induction Furnaces to another line (coming out another side of the LV Transformer). Like I said in the LP, its not hurting me (i've never fully run dry) so its not a huge worry :).

• You don't need a transformer to wire the induction furnaces, they can accept MV directly.
    And... Yes the output of the transformer is 32 eu/t, but, it can emit FOUR pulses of 32 eu/t at the same tick. So, if you'll hook up those machines to the transformer, they will get enough energy.

And it is the nice let's play ^__~

Cutiemark crusaders - engineers, Yay!
    Blown up: Industrial Blast Furnace, Industrial Wiremill, Singularity compressor, Extractor.

• Cool, thanks for the info Iced! I'll look into it, and might make the change. You'll see in Episode 15 I do a little re-wiring, but not for this purpose :).

If I eliminate the BatBoxes, won't the current output from the LV still be 32 though, therefore if those 5 machines are still hooked up to the same LV Transformer, they can't get supplied with enough juice? (It would be very easy to try what I suggested. Just pull out those two batboxes next to that LV and replace them with wires. This will directly connect the machines to the output of the LV. At worst you are out 80000 EU and a couple of hits on a bronze wrench. Trust me just try it and it will make your power problem go away.)

I think the only way to fix it would be to move one of my Induction Furnaces to another line (coming out another side of the LV Transformer). Like I said in the LP, its not hurting me (i've never fully run dry) so its not a huge worry :).

Nope your still not getting it. Let me try and explain this in a different way. Think of cables as a multi-lane bridge. Now lets say this bridge is made of wood and each lane can only support cars that are 3200 pounds or lighter. If a single 12800 pound car drove on it the car and the bridge would just go straight into the river because the wood couldn't support that much weight in a single lane. However that doesn't mean 12800 pounds of cars couldn't be driving on it at once if the weight was distributed over several lanes. If 4 3200 pound (4x3200=12800) cars all in their own lane crossed the bridge then 12800 pounds would all get across the bridge at the same time and no single lane would have had more weight then 3200 pounds.

In IC2 cables are an infinite lane bridge, it will make as many lanes as you want. If you can make a car and put it on the bridge it will make a lane for it. In this way it can transfer as much power as you want it to as long as you keep the weight or in this case the EU value in the same tier. This is what the transformers do in IC2. If you input 128 EU into a LV it will make four lanes on the output cable and each lane will only have 32 EU traveling on it. Now it can transfer 4 times as much power as a batbox since batboxes are only cable of outputting 32 EUs.

Now of course your saying that that is great but if I don't need 128 EUs of power what if I just need to keep my one induction furnace hot and I just need 1 EU. The short answer is that don't worry about IC2 is very smart and it wont waste your power. The long answer is that it is complicated and you should probably stop reading right now if your head is already spinning. Will the four lanes all send the 4x32 EUs to this one furnace and waste the EUs or worse make it explode? The answer is no it wont do any of that. The energy net in IC2 will give as much as the machine asks for (plus whatever resistance it takes for the power to get there but lets ignore this.) So the furnace says to the LV I need 1 EU. The LV says to the MFE I need 1 EU. The MFE checks to see if it has 1 EU and if it does it sends it to the LV which then sends it to the furnace and everyone is happy.

So to summarize the LV is smart it will never overload copper cables as long as it is working in the downward mode. (if you apply red stone power to the LV it will then be in upward mode but that is another discussion.) LVs connected to MFEs have the advantage of being able to deliver 4 times the amount of EUs that a batbox can. This makes it very advantages to for late game workshops that demand a lot of EUs. And your conclusion that copper cables can only transfer 32 EUs at one time is completely false. The limitations on copper cables is that one lane can only handle up to 32 EUs but 1 cable can have an infinite number of lanes.

Proof of concept: 888 EUs in a copper cable that is feeding a mass fab.

--T.E. Lawrence

• Official Post

Wow thanks man, that does make sense now. I completely misunderstood how cables worked then! I was under the impression that if you tried to send more than 32 eu/s through a copper cable, it would melt! But thats not the case, if you try to send MV through a copper cable it melts, but as long as its hooked up to an LV transformer, you can shove all the juice you want into it.

Awesome.

I will remove my batboxes next episode.

• Dear Direwolf

I love your let's play and was wondering if you could give this young man a chance to play with you in one of your video's?

Thanks wolf
    Brofist Cheesecookie

• Wow thanks man, that does make sense now. I completely misunderstood how cables worked then! I was under the impression that if you tried to send more than 32 eu/s through a copper cable, it would melt! But thats not the case, if you try to send MV through a copper cable it melts, but as long as its hooked up to an LV transformer, you can shove all the juice you want into it.

Awesome.

I will remove my batboxes next episode.

Yup, now you got it. You can hook up an array of LVs and the copper cable would be able to handle as much power as you need it to. Just remember 1 LV will only be able to output up to 128 EUs of power to get more power you need multiple LVs in parallel.

Now the advanced class: Lets say you next decided to make a factory using the IC2 machines and the BC pipes but the factory will draw more then 128 EUs of power. So you think to yourself well the MFE will only output 128 EUs so let me use a MFSU which can output 512 EU then use a MV which can also output 512 EU and then when I hook it up the LV I will have 512 EUs of power. Well that wont work remember LVs are a machine and they can only handle 1 packet of 128 EUs (not the 4 128 EU packets that the MV is capable of) so the LV will only output up to 4x32 EUs of power. This means the LV will only ask the MV for 128 EUs even if the machines it is powering needs more. So then the MV will only ask the MFSU for 128 EUs. In order to use that full 512 EUs of power at a tier 1 level you will need to have 4 LV transformers all in parallel hooked up to the MV. This way each LV transformer will get 1 of the 4 128 EU packets from the MV. You can see in my picture in my last post how I used multiple LVs in parallel to get more than even 128 EUs of power on copper cable.

--T.E. Lawrence

• Hey man! You know that the EE IC2 addon has a recipe for easily making lava cells? :) You don't have it yet, but later it could come in very handy. Empty cell, redstone, redstone, volcanite amulet!

TONS of lava cells easy! This makes Geo-thermals far more plausible for long term energy! WOOT!