[Addon 1.112] Petroleum Generator 1.2.1 - burn baby burn.. for EU!

• A buildcraft <> IC2 crossover mod. Tasty on its own; Delicious served with a main course of Forestry.

This mod adds a Petroleum Generator to the game. This generator will produce EU directly from Buildcraft Fuel/Oil, which can be either pumped in as a buildcraft liquid pipes, or manually deposited using containers. Want to burn some Biofuel in this? Tough. DrCeph Industries doesn't believe in the green revolution. It is just a fad that will pass, like hypercolor and scrunchies.

Also recently added was an IC2-based processing chain to turn raw materials from TrainCraft (Oily Sands and Crude Oil ore) into Buildcraft oil. This chain is only enabled if TrainCraft is installed.

DOWNLOAD NOW (v1.2.1 for IC2 v1.112, MC 1.4.6; Dropbox link)
    older versions can be found here

1.2.1 update brings the following additions:

• Access the controls!
      Since a class-action suit against DrCeph industries by engineers with malformed hands, Petroleum Generator has been improved such that a newly placed generator will now have the faceplate facing towards the player that placed the block. No longer will your activity light be obscured by the wall of your secret lair.
    • Burn all the things!
      If using alongside TrainCraft, Petroleum Generator will enable an IC2-based processing chain to turn those fields of Oil Sands and Crude Oil ore pockets into sweet* Liquid Oil. Check the main post for details on the processing chain.

Why another BC/IC conversion mod?

Crafting Recipe

Traincraft oily sands and ore processing chain

Screenshots

TODO, Installation and Licence

Change Log

In the interest of full disclosure, here are other places this mod has a presence:
    Github (Source code) http://github.com/chrisduran/petroleumgenerator
    FTB (Modpack) http://forum.feed-the-beast.co…bc-ic-crossover-mod.2246/

• biofuel bucket gen only 32000 eu ? eh no good mod

Looks like you didnt even play with forestry and dont know what biofuel is - why give stupid negative comments?

Overall, good job. but there is a thing - Gregtech adds a recepie, which is 3 BC fuel cans > 3 IC cans each 100k eu. Yours is even 100k
    being 1.5kk in real BC value, I see no technical use of his and your way to use fuel like this, with new release of Thermal expansion, which has unlaggy pipes + Transformers. maybe fuel should be 1-2kk EU with several generators.

So, my suggestions are :
    1) up fuel upto 1-1.2kk
    WHY - 100k fuel = 3x32k biofuel = 12x8k eu biomass = ~16 saplings.
    Fuel is roughly worth 16-20 saplings, which really is a joke. This value isnt worth making huge oil pumping-transfering-processing-storing etc industry.
    It should be AT THE VERY LEAST!11 10x more energy valuable, or I ll just burn biofuel in piopowergen.
    2)Make some more machines.
    It would make sense, having several tiers of machines. but techically, fuel is endgame, soo..make a powerfull endgame machine, which would quickly burn fuel and some other liquids, would have integrated transformer, would require some maintaince and would output 2kk per bucket at EV. Maybe make a RL refinery+powerplant. Maybe railcraftish-gregstylish multiblock thing.

• OK, since you tackled this issue anyway, let me ask you something that has been bothering me for a while.
    What gives more power? Burning a bucket of biomass in a forestry generator or burning a bucket of biofuel?
    Before you answer, please look here: http://forestry.sengir.net/wiki/index.php?n=Machines.Still
    Mainly this line:

Converts at a 10:3 Ratio, e.g. For every 3 and a third buckets of biomass it processes you'll recieve 1 bucket of biofuel.

I tihnk it's something most of the people forget or disregard. But doesn't it effectivelly mean, that burning one bucket of biofuel (32 000 EU) is equivalent to burning 3,3 buckets of biomass (26 400 EU), but at a slightly different EU/t? And that's not counting the costs of powering the stiller. If you power it with biomass engine, you have to count the biomass that gets used by the engine itself, thus effectively increasing the costs of producing the fuel.

I thought hard about it one day, when I was trying to figure out which would be more efficient to do: dump the biomass straight into the generator or have it pass through the stiller first. And I came to the conclusion that SirSengir most probably made it in such a way, that the total EU gain was the same (considering all the sideway costs of producing biofuel from biomass in the stiller) for both biofuel and biomass; the only thing that's different is the amount of EU per tick you get. :P

So, care to share what do you think about the whole onversion thing? Even now, I'm still very curious about whether or not what I just said makes any sense. 8)

• That's awesome to me. I've always wanted something to use BC Oil without using others transformers mods (because of exploit such as Lava MJ-Value, Redstone Engine used as a way of generating continuously EU ...) Your ratios are good :D

Edit: With you addon you're providing a balanced crossover between IC² and BC ... what about RC and IC² ? I'm talking about that, because I would like using RC, but it has currently to me not enough uses, and I would probably install it if there is a way to turn steam into EU without OP-Crossovers/Transformers mods ... So what about adding a Steam Generator ? That would produce per Coal the same amount or slightly less than what it produce with OP addons (we have to buff Coal ^^).

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

Edited 2 times, last by MatLaPatate ().

• Overall, good job. but there is a thing - Gregtech adds a recepie, which is 3 BC fuel cans > 3 IC cans each 100k eu. Yours is even 100k
    being 1.5kk in real BC value, I see no technical use of his and your way to use fuel like this, with new release of Thermal expansion, which has unlaggy pipes + Transformers. maybe fuel should be 1-2kk EU with several generators.

I've only played around very loosely with TE, but I do have some thoughts on it. One philosophical issue I have against it is energy storage - I liked how the buildcraft system didn't really have an energy storage system (other than as 'potential' energy in the initial fuel state). The two together provided a different style of gameplay between the IC2 and Buildcraft style of stored vs potential energy. Having said that, TE has some damn cool machines - finally an ice machine for my cocktail bar! ;)

Regarding Transformers, this mod will never be able to compete with the power of the mod, and this is on purpose. I see both having very valid uses in particular situations. I would lean towards this generator and the forestry machines in a challenge map where limited resources are a feature of the gameplay style. In a 'build-lots-of-cool-things' map, I would definitely recommend (and personally use) Snyke's Transformers mod instead.

I do like the idea of having a few tiers of generator, perhaps configurable in an options file. Also on the TODO list is to make the conversion ratio configurable, which might also help address these issues of balance. The fact of the matter is that each time a mod is added to the game it affects balance in some way. Allowing people to configure this mod to best match their personal balance setup could only be a win-win situation.

So, care to share what do you think about the whole onversion thing? Even now, I'm still very curious about whether or not what I just said makes any sense.

I've played around with biofuel a little less than with fuel, do you know, can you use peat-engines to run the still? That might be enough to make the conversion worthwhile, or using a bunch of solar panels and an electric engine. My general usage of fuel/biofuel is as a portable source of high-potential energy so I tend to produce and store it until I need it elsewhere (or as a temp boost of power to my main EU grid). If your still is powered by renewable energy than the only cost is time. Time is a price I'm willing to pay for a ~20% increase in power with double the throughput!

The conversion argument is easier with oil and fuel where the increase in power is so much more - once you have a refinery running on the fuel it produces you are producing much more fuel than you are using to create it.

Edit: With you addon you're proviging a balanced crossover between IC² and BC ... what about RC and IC² ? I'm talking about that, because I would like using RC, but it has currently to me not enough uses, and I would probably install it if there is a way to turn steam into EU without OP-Crossovers/Transformers mods ... So what about adding a Steam Generator ? That would produce per Coal the same amount or slightly less than what it produce with OP addons (we have to buff Coal ).

Totally hadn't even thought about it, I'd definitely love to give it a go - a steam generator would be awesome!

im going to use this just because the block texture is sexy!

:thumbup:

• That's awesome to me. I've always wanted something to use BC Oil without using others transformers mods (because of exploit such as Lava MJ-Value, Redstone Engine used as a way of generating continuously EU ...) Your ratios are good :D

Edit: With you addon you're proviging a balanced crossover between IC² and BC ... what about RC and IC² ? I'm talking about that, because I would like using RC, but it has currently to me not enough uses, and I would probably install it if there is a way to turn steam into EU without OP-Crossovers/Transformers mods ... So what about adding a Steam Generator ? That would produce per Coal the same amount or slightly less than what it produce with OP addons (we have to buff Coal ^^).

Steam>EU is handled directly in Railcraft itself with the Steam Turbine and seems to be fairly well balanced, you can even set your IC2 reactor to produce steam to power a turbine in the config.

EDIT: but more options are always nice :)

• Steam>EU is handled directly in Railcraft itself with the Steam Turbine and seems to be fairly well balanced, you can even set your IC2 reactor to produce steam to power a turbine in the config.

I know. But it only works for Nuclear Reactor, and isn't reversible.

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• First: sorry for doubleposting (hoping someone will post while I'm typing ^^), but that's the onl way I've found to use quotation, since it's less bugged. (^^)

I only operate my nuclear reactors in steam mode now :D

Why ? Is it more efficient, or just for fun ?

Suggestion: I don't know if you'll agree on this, because maybe it should be more like a BC-addons but ... I would like seing a better-than-refined-oil Fuel, produce by refining again Refined Oil ...
    That could be an IC² machine, using from 5 000 to 50 000 EU to turn Refined Oil into Carbon Dust + Gas (Liquid, could also be used in cells), with Gas producing 200 000 EU per bucket, and maybe another step, Hydrogen, producing even more energy (but the conversion should be EXTREMLY slow) ...

More likely to be added suggestion (^^): Could it be possible to fill cells with BC-Oil/Refined Oil ? It would be an efficient way of harnessing Oil without using any pumps, even if it would consume Tin and would be longer. I guess this not hard to implement, right ?

Edit: Again, I've used too many " ^^ ". I can't do anything else.

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• I see, that you are actively working on your mod, thats great.
    Another suggestion is stupidly simple:
    making "oil refining" a more real process.
    Oil > fuel is funny, because roughly 2\3 of our surrounding are based on oil refinement byproducts. USE THIS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!! :D
    I say, best would be to make some big multiblock structure (towerlike) which will do processing on different tempretures. I can expand this idea, if you wish.

• I see, that you are actively working on your mod, thats great.
    Another suggestion is stupidly simple:
    making "oil refining" a more real process.
    Oil > fuel is funny, because roughly 2\3 of our surrounding are based on oil refinement byproducts. USE THIS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!! :D
    I say, best would be to make some big multiblock structure (towerlike) which will do processing on different tempretures. I can expand this idea, if you wish.

i agree with this, having a proper petroleum refinery would be great.

As for the reason i use nuclear reactor in steam mode:

if only running at about 200-400EU/t it is more energy/fuel than normal. it doesn't work too well at more than that due to problems getting enough steam pipes connected (i use valve pipes industrial pipes)
    also, it makes the reactor more expensive, bigger, more impressive and more realistic :D

• i agree with this, having a proper petroleum refinery would be great.

I have to say that a really good idea would be an IC refinery. Currently you would really need to run your refinery using a buildcraft engine to make using this generator efficient. I'll have to play around with numbers to see what it might look like.

I say, best would be to make some big multiblock structure (towerlike) which will do processing on different temperatures. I can expand this idea, if you wish.

A multiblock structure for such a refinery would be quite cool and in line with some of the cool things being done by CJ in railcraft. Are there any other IC2 multiblock machines out there currently, other than the steam turbine in RC?

what exploits?
    lava mj value is 20000 MJ in an combustion engine...and lava eu value is 50000 eu in a geothermal generator....I don't know why so many people on this forum think it's 20000 eu per bucket...I think the wiki is wrong (maybe should update).
    If you have NEI-IC2 Burn plugin or lately just Mistaqurs NEI plugin it shows eu value for every fuel that can be burned in a IC2 generator...and it shows 50000 eu/lava....and I'm pretty sure he get's his data from source code.
    And redstone engines feeding transformers to get eu?...get real?...what a waste of space, resources(golden pipes) and Hardware(Lag)....cheap IC2 power can be obtained much easier using IC2's windmills.

edit: ON topic:
    Cool mod...I've been thinking about something like this myself but haven't had the nerves to post another suggestion on this forum...and It never occured to me that I could make it into an addon request.
    Regarding eu/mj conversion a 5/2 ratio based on coal in generators and steam engines is definitely broken...as it doesn't scale properly.
    If one takes into account that steam engines are very inefficient at turning the potential chemical energy into usable work , and generators are more efficient ...a 10/2 ratio would scale way better.The only one that gets hurt from this is the steam engine because it's inefficiency will be in the open.

mcmz4e aka MaryuZ aka 2.muCh.Pride

Edited once, last by mcmz4e ().