[Official] New Reactors design thread.

• The thread here is centered around vanilla IC2 reactors only. The thorium cells come from a infamous or awesome addon named GregTech.

If it's centered around vanilla IC2 designs, how come there's been a discussion abput thorium-reactors ON THIS VERY PAGE?

EDIT: Okay, not on this very page, but the page that you posted on. And BTW pageclaim for plutonium-reactors.

The IC2 forums could really use a lot more of [REDACTED], [DATA EXPUNGED] and ████████.

I'm in a so called "after-school". It's freaking fantastic and nowhere near as boring as normal school!

• The thread here is centered around vanilla IC2 reactors only. The thorium cells come from a infamous or awesome addon named GregTech.

That rule changed when I took over. Hell, there's 5 gregtech reactors on the official list right now, I'll be adding more.

As for the hybreeder... hrm.

Well, to start with you can make it a mark I with very little change: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…uftn6xmjdk0jufhu7gco9sm4g

It's also not as efficienct as the hybreeders we have already, it gets more power, which would be a good tradeoff, but the whole point of high output breeders is to run more reactors, and the extra power comes at the cost of reduced ability to do that.

• Oh wait, that's a uranium cell in slot 0

That's a lot more efficient. 14.2.

Second problem though: converting it to Mark I drops its isotope output by 40%, its now got only 15 extra isotope per cycle. This would be good, if something of a nightmare to automate, as a single reactor if 367 isn't enough.

• Oh wait, that's a uranium cell in slot 0

That's a lot more efficient. 14.2.

Second problem though: converting it to Mark I drops its isotope output by 40%, its now got only 15 extra isotope per cycle. This would be good, if something of a nightmare to automate, as a single reactor if 367 isn't enough.

Well, I did say I had no idea what I was doing. I did have something similar to the Mark I design you showed me but I was tinkering with it to try to get more Depleted Cells out of it. That's where I came up with the Mark II, and 3 min 20 sec of cooldown didn't seem like a big deal for the large boost in Depleted Cells. You can even squeeze a few more cells out by preheating the reactor.

As for automating. I haven't the first clue of how to automate even the simplest of reactors so if it is possible it is beyond my ken.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• I suggest learning, or you won't be able to use a breeder (except the vanilla one, if you really want to learn to use vanilla redstone timers) at all, it'll pop the first re-enriched cell and then not make any more.

• Official Post

Thorium WAS excellent for breeders, since it runs so long and doesn't have much in the way of anything else to bother with. For example, something like this works quite well. Does over five hundred depleted cells in one run.

I fixed something for you. My Open Beta has that already fixed. Use Plutonium instead! It pulses twice per Reactortick!

• I fixed something for you. My Open Beta has that already fixed. Use Plutonium instead! It pulses twice per Reactortick!

I'm still not sure if I should be pissed all our designs in the last few weeks are going to be ruined or thrilled we get to do it again.

• I fixed something for you. My Open Beta has that already fixed. Use Plutonium instead! It pulses twice per Reactortick!

Oh my, that is quite interesting. The problem arises, however, with the additional heat generation. The more vents I need to include, the lower the 'optimal breeding temperature' is going to be because the fewer Heat-Capacity Reactor Plating I can cram in, which reduces overall efficiency.

I mean... a single plutonium cell surrounded by depleted isotopes generates what... 135 heat/s? Compare that with 15 heat/tic which the Thorium generates. That makes it much more difficult to set up a heat-neutral breeder.

• double pulsing plutonium should be fine for high output, it'll be shit for low output, because you can't possibly keep it hot during an off period with less than 34 heating cells.

• Hybrids are still better than regular reactors if I read the changes right (hard to say, as Greg hasn't said how the multipulse system effects thorium, aside form it being half the duration), but the power output is down and the fuel needed is way up.

• Efficient Reactor Design

• EU/t: 25 - 129.1
    • Efficiency: 5 - 7
    • Overall Efficiency: 5 - 6.46
    • Cost: Iron 252, Copper 1951, Tin 581, Gold 80
    • Running Cost: Any cell of your choice except quad uranium cells
    • Credits: FierySilence

You can get the design here.

• already denied as overall eff with non GREGTech items is too low.

also requia , i would suggest adding the eff 7 reactor to the start post

Change the scheme, alter the mood. Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.

[b][i][u][url=' [url='http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=7745']HAYO CORP: Nuclear Power (FREE: Reactor Blueprints)

• people wll not stop posting eff 7 designs, and as it is the crown of eff in reactor physics it should atleas get mentioned.

Change the scheme, alter the mood. Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.

[b][i][u][url=' [url='http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=7745']HAYO CORP: Nuclear Power (FREE: Reactor Blueprints)

• I would not include the iridium plate version of the eff 7 reactor. Look at the other reactors in the gregtech section -- it is poor compared to them. Since it uses iridium plates it is competing with plutonium+thorium reactors and uranium loses in most/all cases currently.

Maybe set some criteria to be included, so people know what is expected. Like gregtech you are looking at a minimum overall efficiency 12+? or IC2 overall efficiency 3+?
    Hard on the gregtech efficiency because the planner does not calculate it out the way you do in this thread.

You could add the old IC2 eff 7 from the other thread, but even in IC2 it isn't really a good reactor with an overall efficiency under 3.
    Reactor 6:
    Link: Mark I EA*
    Eu/tick: 140
    Efficiency: 7
    Cost: Iron 238, Copper 718, Tin 128, Gold 50
    Running costs: 88,8 UU
    Credits: Rick
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…nvtbw3ty0gbfg5qt6blzlk3k0

A player could drop in iridium plates if they don't want to go right to thorium/plutonium. Even after upgrading to iridium plates Rick's design is a few hundred copper cheaper than the proposed design above.

• Requia, I'd like to pick up the above exchange again, because more or less out of nowhere I suddenly noticed that a.) I made a mistake in my post, and b.) when I fix that mistake, I get significantly lower efficiency values than the ones you used for the hybrid reactors in your post at the top of page 2.

The mistake I made: I proposed totaling up the theoretical yield of all fuel cells, but was not counting the fact that 2.5 plutonium cells were being consumed for the full thorium cycle. Therefore I counted way less plutonium than was actually needed, and strongly overstated the efficiency.

Now let me try again. Still going off the following numbers:
    - Each thorium cell generates 1 million EU per efficiency rating
    - Each plutonium cell generates 4 million EU per efficiency rating
    - Therefore, we can count quad thorium cells and single plutonium cells together for the purpose of this
    - Because the ratio is uneven (2.5 plutonium cycles per thorium cycle), examining two cycles makes the math prettier

Looking at the thorium neutral reactor you posted at the top of page 2, you quote a 14.68 hybrid efficiency for it. Through two cycles, it generates 734 million EU while consuming 10 quad thorium cells (5 slots of 1 per cycle) and 10 single plutonium cells (two slots of 2.5 per cycle). That's 20 times 4 million EU per efficiency, or a total of 80 million EU per efficiency. 734 / 80 gives me 9.175, not 14.68.

Another example: The -4 thorium negative reactor you quote at 16.8 hybrid efficiency: 12 quad thorium cells and 10 single plutonium cells for two full cycles, generating 840 million EU. 840 / (22 * 4) = 9.545

Third, the proposed 512 EU/t, +6 thorium positive design we were trying to cool, which I falsely analyzed as 14.222 in my first attempt at this efficiency model: 12 quad thorium and 15 single plutonium for 1024 million EU. 1024 / (27 * 4) = 9.481

The neat thing about this efficiency rating model is that it works for uranium too (with the same value as thorium), and accurately portrays normal IC2 reactors as well as GregTech hybrid reactors with the same model. I also don't think it oversells the efficiency of unbalanced designs too much like you feared, either, with less than 0.4 efficiency difference between the neutral one and the unbalanced designs. What do you think?

(I realize that GregTech's 1.5 changes will probably require re-examining the validity of this model, but unless the adjusted tick rate of plutonium has some far more drastic effects than I expect, it shouldn't take more than re-calibrating the value of plutonium... I think.)

• Testing out some automation of the breeder, two 484's, and one 420.

GT advanced regulator works quite well for the task. Little bit of a struggle to find a good way to stock the mix of fuels in the inventory... settled on railcraft loaders/unloaders for my test.

Found a bug in Gregtech or Railcraft. I think the ghost items of the advanced regulator are counted as real items by the unloader, so you have to tell it to stock twice as much as what you want.

Here is an album with shots of the regulator inventory slot numbers for each of the reactors.
    http://imgur.com/a/KCs3Y

• I'm sure this isn't new to anyone, but I'm using this safe breeder using thorium cells:
    Safe high speed thorium breeder
    It re-enriches 4 cells each 459 seconds (115 sec each), it's also easy to automate using buildcraft pipes.

It's also made to be expandable, you can start without chambers and 15 heating cells and as you get copper you expand, and slowly increase the number of heating cells.