[Official] New Reactors design thread.

• Currently toying around in a test install. Uranium cells are bugged in the GregTech computercube, unsure whether it's IC2's or Greg's fault. Also not important.

Much like Peppe reported, thorium is nerfed to half and plutonium is running insanely hot.

Currently examining plutonium efficiency. It actually scales quite nicely - if you place 1 reflector next to it, it acts as if there were 2 reflectors, due to the double pulse. As a result, maximum theoretical efficiency is 11 rather than 7 for a quad plutonium cell surrounded by reflectors.

I say 'theoretical' because that setup was impossible to cool in 1.4.7 and in 1.5.1 it is so much worse. I can't even get anywhere near a triple reflector setup, the reactor just liquifuies the moment I touch the simulation start button.

For starters, this is the best I could come up with - in the 1.4.7 planner it looks overcooled, but in 1.5.1 it just barely stays stable (we're talking somewhere around 670-680 heat here). Under the new plutonium rules, that's an efficiency 7 reactor (because it treats the 2 reflectors as if they were four). This is actually not half bad. Efficiency 7 plutonium was, as mentioned before, uncoolable in 1.4.7, but now it actually runs with just internal vents! And it only takes two of those mind numbingly expensive iridium neutron reflectors instead of 4. (Disclaimer: the realworld implementation reactor hasn't finished its cycle yet, but it looks okay so far...)

I'll freely concede that this is a clear buff, although one that does not yet reach the sheer convenience of hybrid reactors... after all, for every quad plutonium cell you're going to have four quad thorium cells piling up in your storage. And getting those consumed at a similar efficiency is going to be difficult because you'll need at least twice as many reflectors. And even then you're going to spend 5 out of 6 reactor cycles on slow, low-yield thorium...

More later, I got a spreadsheet to fill up, and then I'm going to test if I can get the "hybrid effect" to work in any shape or form.

• Official Post

After Plutonium Buff the max Efficiency is now actually 14, not sure how though.

• The math says 11: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44754370/plutoniumefficiency.png

Maybe with the doublepulse system, you can get above 11 if you pair plutonium cells with other plutonium cells? I haven't gotten around to test that. With reflects alone, though, 11 is all you're going to get.

Besides, even if you could get to 14, I doubt it would be coolable in a practical manner... This stuff is crazy enough at 7 already.

• Update: got the Efficiency 10 setup running stable. Upsides: awesome efficiency, only half the thorium overhead of previous attempt, less copper consumption due to using a dual cell, cooling system can likely be made cheaper by someone who's better at this than I am. Downsides: quad reflectors necessary. Still has thorium overhead. Only 200 instead of 280 EU/t.

• That is way too expensive for 200 EU/t ?(

Need 40 reflectors (and nearly double the fuel) to match my 1.4.7 setup.

Yes, 14, you forgot to count that the "selfpulses" are also doubled.

You appear to have a bug then.

• Yeah. While it's a buff to pure plutonium reactors, it still can't compete in any way, shape or form with 1.4.7 designs. Or even non-nuclear EU sources for that matter.

Still, it was fun to throw together ;)

Thorium is hideously useless now, by the way.

A quad uranium cell next to a single uranium cell has efficiency 3.6.
    A quad thorium cell next to a single plutonium cell had efficiency 4.5 in 1.4.7.
    A quad thorium cell next to a single plutonium cell has efficiency 2.667 in 1.5.1.

No such thing as a hybrid effect - in fact it's an almost 30% reduction compared to vanilla IC2.

What the hell are we going to be doing with all this junk?

• Why not using RP/GT timers ? Reactors are predictible, you know ?

Because that does absolutely nothing to solve the problem? A damage sensitive filter (such as an emerald pipe) can be left on 100% of the time without changing its operation in this case, as it would remove the cell if and only if the damage value matches.

• Yeah. While it's a buff to pure plutonium reactors, it still can't compete in any way, shape or form with 1.4.7 designs. Or even non-nuclear EU sources for that matter.

Still, it was fun to throw together ;)

If greg fixes his (apparent) multicell bug the two reflector quad cell might be OK, that would have 400 EU/t if plutonium worked as Greg describes, for a more reasonable reflector cost.

More importantly, him fixing plutonium would make the 4 quad CRCS setup operate at 1920, so we're up to 1.4.7 power levels with only a ~50% increase in fuel and 4 reflectors.

• Cool to see all the experiments. Hope reactors can fill a role in 1.5.

Because that does absolutely nothing to solve the problem? A damage sensitive filter (such as an emerald pipe) can be left on 100% of the time without changing its operation in this case, as it would remove the cell if and only if the damage value matches.

AE in 1.5 has fuzzy ports, which should be an option to pull out any damaged cells while ignoring full cells. Very easy to redstone control AE buses, so you could set your cycle time in whatever redstone system you like and then run the fuzzy import bus for a few seconds and have the export bus set for fully charged coolant cells, which you can set to red-stone controlled, but the inverse of the fuzzy import bus. Should work well with all the empty slots in the reactor filled.

• Okay, I called thorium cells in 1.5.1 "hideously useless" yesterday.

I must apologize: I was wrong.

Thorium cells are not hideously useless. They are bugged. Bugged to high heavens :p

That kind of explains the catastrophic numbers I've been getting in attempts at recreating hybrid setups...

• Cheers Greg, thanks for your tireless works and for maintaining one of the fastest update cycles in the modding community.

This also shed some new light on the supposed death of hybrid reactors... in fact I already have an idea I want to try out once the fix goes out. :)

• Well, we basically ended up with the single LZH or cooling cell design. None of us could manage to make it fully coolable on just internal vents... I even got it down to 0 excess heat but still couldn't keep the components from melting over time. It's just not happening with the fuel cells consuming so much room, sadly. :(