[Official] New Reactors design thread.

• ok, so for gregtech MOX is really the only viable option, at least until greg unfucks that recipe (I assume later on in GT6, no more bugfixes for GT5?).

On the other hand, MOX is really good, so yeah.

• What sort of option is there for automating a MOX? Nuclear control to turn it off every now and then in order to glide it past a certain heat is obvious enough, but what about something that insierts and removes components? thinking core heat exchangers, those are as much as 72 each, could allow for very fast heatup/cooldown (for batteries) with a rig that doesn't lose components when partialed.

• Actually rather than change the cooling, best option would be to insert and remove neutron reflectors. :Reactor: Bonus, produces more energy during warmup. Since the reflectors are good for 2500 seconds they don't need to be replaced often, once every ~25 heatups.

This ran stable (fluctuating from 82 to 84%) on a 40 minute test. heatup took less than 90 seconds. Don't even need nuclear control, save for the sake of automating the warmup.

• How could I import those codes into your planner? I can paste them into the "Code" field, but nothing I do actually makes the program read it and update the grid (or even just the simulation).

Pasting into the code field is sufficient when I run it, but I can think of a few things that might interfere:
    1. Pasting at the beginning or end of the code field instead of selecting any existing value there and replacing it with the pasted value
    2. Copying too little of the code or more than just the code (even a space at the beginning or end will prevent the program from reading the code)

If you can rule those possibilities out, it might help if you specify your OS and Java version.

• Strange, that's not quite what I meant. Pasting into an empty code box works for me, but if there had been some text there already (including spaces, which would not be obvious), adding the pasted code to the existing text wouldn't work.

• Strange, that's not quite what I meant. Pasting into an empty code box works for me, but if there had been some text there already (including spaces, which would not be obvious), adding the pasted code to the existing text wouldn't work.

Well, if it works, it works? :P I'm happy as an easter bunny that there's a new planner around, in any case. Keep up the good work!

"Mid power low running cost" (note: I have personally confirmed in creative mode with IC2exp build 658 that the overclocked heat vents in the lower right will break after almost 800 seconds, followed by a rapid increase in core temperature, so this design doesn't qualify as Mark I any more):
    02020C0D110A110D0C0202150C0D0C0D0C0D02020C0D0C0D0C0D12020C0D0C0D0C0D0C0A0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D120A110D0C0D110D

As an aside, this has been known for a long while, Requia just never fixed it due to being inactive. When Thunderdark reworked the reactor system for IC2 Experimental, the behavior of basic heat exchangers was subtly changed (I believe they exchange more heat with the core than Talonius' old planner assumes). That is why this design breaks.

There is an easy fix, however, with some component reshuffling and replacing an advanced vent with an overclocked one:
    02020C0D110A110D0C0202150C0D0C0D0C0D02020C0D0C0D0C0D11020C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D0C0D140D120A110D0C0D0C0D

So the fuel rod layout (and with it, the reactor performance) is still valid. It just needs to have the heat routed differently. :)

• Do those Reactor Plans, Still Work? or Still Applicable to Current IC2 Versions? Also If anyone is Generous Enough to Create a Nuclear Reactor Plan, That can Output at least +400 EU/T with Maybe 4-6 Quad Uranium cells, also One that can Do a Full Cycle Without Re-Adding Resources (Coolant Cells/etc), No GregTech please.

• Official Post

Also If anyone is Generous Enough to Create a Nuclear Reactor Plan, That can Output at least +400 EU/T with Maybe 4-6 Quad Uranium cells, also One that can Do a Full Cycle Without Re-Adding Resources (Coolant Cells/etc), No GregTech please.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…00drdsvntps8fdm4xmr3ydlhc This seems to work fine.

Do those Reactor Plans, Still Work? or Still Applicable to Current IC2 Versions?

Most are, some aren't. You can often work out if they are by testing them in creative and observing how the heat is being dissipated. There is an updated version of the reactor planner you can use as well, but it's only a beta, and is missing some useful features like saying how much heat is generated to the amount cooled by vents.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• There is an updated version of the reactor planner you can use as well, but it's only a beta, and is missing some useful features like saying how much heat is generated to the amount cooled by vents.

If you want features added, please ask in the new planner's open beta thread or by filing a GitHub issue (if you can; I'm still pretty new to GitHub, so I might need to set permissions for that somewhere).

• Official Post

Oh, I forgot you had a Github page.

Done :)

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• I cannot get the links to open, Firefox/Java have blocked them as security risks. I have added the exception, and told the plugin to open and remember, but it still refuses to allow them to open. What am I doing wrong, anyone know?

• I cannot get the links to open, Firefox/Java have blocked them as security risks. I have added the exception, and told the plugin to open and remember, but it still refuses to allow them to open. What am I doing wrong, anyone know?

I haven't figured out how to make them work in the browser either, but I downloaded the "standalone version" linked below the space for the planner, and it allows pasting the urls there.

• Official Post

I've got http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk on my exception list, and it lets it run fine as long as I click allow on the pop-up Java window.

I see this too much.

• I haven't figured out how to make them work in the browser either, but I downloaded the "standalone version" linked below the space for the planner, and it allows pasting the urls there.

Where do you paste the url? I have tried it in the Code blank, but nothing happens.

• I've got http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk on my exception list, and it lets it run fine as long as I click allow on the pop-up Java window.

I've got http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk on my exception list, and it lets it run fine as long as I click allow on the pop-up Java window.

I did click both settings to allow and remember, closed and restarted the browser, and included the exception to the url in the security exceptions under options. No joy with any/all of these. Should not have reset the security options when I updated Java to release 40.....

• Where do you paste the url? I have tried it in the Code blank, but nothing happens.

If it doesn't work in the code blank, have you tried the "Paste URL" button? If you don't have a button with such a label, you're probably using the "IC2 Experimental Reactor Planner" that I wrote, rather than Talonius's old planner, and I haven't added support for the talonfire urls to mine yet, though I have recently sent Talonius a PM requesting permission for that.

• If it doesn't work in the code blank, have you tried the "Paste URL" button? If you don't have a button with such a label, you're probably using the "IC2 Experimental Reactor Planner" that I wrote, rather than Talonius's old planner, and I haven't added support for the talonfire urls to mine yet, though I have recently sent Talonius a PM requesting permission for that.

That was it, I was using your program, not the one in the Standalone link. Thanks for the assist.

I like the look of yours better than the old one, so I hope you get the permissions. Cheers!

• With Gregtech 5 installed, I'm pretty sure the only way to get U-235 is to centrifuge uranium-238 Dust. You get a 20% chance to get a tiny pile of U-235. It costs ~230,000 energy though in a centrifuge. (Note centrifuge, not thermal centrifuge). There may be U-235 ore, but I haven't found it yet. I haven't done much quarrying though